Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Global warming

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, like the frozen methane at the bottom of the ocean. People are afraid it will (or is) melting and being released into the atmosphere, further cotributing to the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know what I find real interesting is that global warming is only bad for the human species; once we die off it'll be just fine, the forests will regrow, and the temp might stay the same, but heck, it's only bad for us.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Dec. 03 2006,2:08)]Ya know what I find real interesting is that global warming is only bad for the human species; once we die off it'll be just fine, the forests will regrow, and the temp might stay the same, but heck, it's only bad for us.
    Umm, I think you might need a new science teacher.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, if we go everything is gonna go with us buddy. sure some things will live and the world will regrow, but most things will die, contributing to the problem even more as they decay and release more gasses.

"I've i'm going out, i'm taking you all with me!!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Ya know what I find real interesting is that global warming is only bad for the human species; once we die off it'll be just fine, the forests will regrow, and the temp might stay the same, but heck, it's only bad for us.
    This quite bluntly incorrect.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For why it's incorrect, consider that many reptile species have temperature-dependent sex determination. Incubate an egg hot, it comes out male, cool makes females (in some species this is reversed), and most clutches are buried at the temp necessary to make about a 50-50 mix. If the climate warms, it won't be a 50-50 mix anymore, and might even become all male or all female, which is obviously bad for the species.

This isn't trivial species, either. It's things like turtles (a major food-chain component) and crocodilians (a keystone predator without which the ecosystem collapses).

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another mass extinction, all our fault. Its the earths way of purging the problems!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should just point out that the article states only that "cattle rearing" produces more greenhouse gases than "transportation". That's the only claim being made here. It's not about "cows" per se, but "cattle rearing", meaning the industry. And it's only being compared to "transportation", an area where new technologies have greatly decreased emissions.

I don't know that I'd consider this good or bad news - but it isn't too horribly surprising, considering the land, water and energy devoted to rearing cattle worldwide.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast