Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Global warming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it hard to believe that raising a cow causes more ecological damage than driving a SUV, "silly usless vehicle". Just think of the damage caused by mining the metals, rubber and producing the plastics of just one vehicle. Not to mention obtaining the oil and the polution it causes. I am just not buying it.

Like there are not other situations, Darfur, Somloia, AIDs, poverty, Muslim extremists and a host of other world problems that the U.N. should be adressing? Their time...and your tax dollars...could have been much better spent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange as it may sound I sort of agree with Drosera36.

Mokele is correct in his assesment that temp changes can have impacts on some species but in the long run if the Earth gets inhospitable for us then we die and some other things die but we can not kill everything even if we try. So we cause and extinction and have the good grace to die as well and then in a few score million years evolution fills in the holes and life goes on.

So in a way, yes global warmming is only really "our" problem and by and large Earth and Nature couldn't care less (as silly as that anthropomorphism sounds). Earth abides... Nature adapts...
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... possibly without carnivorus plants... but 'sall good
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am no chemist by any stretch of the imagination but wasn't it the UN back in the 70's that got the auto industry to install catalytic converters so that our cars produce MORE CO2 and less CO ? We were saving the world from acid rain right ? Instead we end up causing more greenhouse gas to cause global warming.

I think the real issue is that we need to gentically modify grass so that the cows produce a sweet non polluting gas rather than methane.

Then again maybe we should have bubble cows so that all their emissions can be harnessed to power my alternative fuel car ? That's it a car that runs on methane and cowchips !
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should set up a factory farm like the matrix and shove a methane collecting tube up their butt.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe, I think I saw an SNL skit about that JLAP.

Yeah, but I have to wonder if they are just shoving off the blame towards "natural" causes to get us distracted from man made causes. I've seen it said that termites, cows, and a lot of other creatures produce greenhouse gases, but it seems to me that they've been here a lot longer than the industrial revolution. Therefore, shouldn't be a major contributer to global warming.
    -Doug

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it&#33 but 'That's funny ...'
    -Isaac Asimov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TheAntiLion @ Dec. 04 2006,11:01)]Yeah, but I have to wonder if they are just shoving off the blame towards "natural" causes to get us distracted from man made causes. I've seen it said that termites, cows, and a lot of other creatures produce greenhouse gases, but it seems to me that they've been here a lot longer than the industrial revolution. Therefore, shouldn't be a major contributer to global warming.
    We have to keep breeding more and more cows (among other things) to fill humanity's gaping maw. We're so overpopulated that there's literally not enough available biomass on the planet to feed us all without making some severe ecological alterations, like mowing down acres of rainforest for pastures and crops.

I don't know any actual cattle statistics, but I would bet there are far more cows on the planet now than there were 10,000 years ago. I don't know if they're truly a global warming contributor on their own, but when they start replacing rainforest it's a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but there are far less of the megaherds of bison, reindeer, antalope, etc roaming the earth thn 10,000 years ago also
    that makes no logic

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast