Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Global warming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] find it hard to believe that raising a cow causes more ecological damage than driving a SUV, "silly usless vehicle". Just think of the damage caused by mining the metals, rubber and producing the plastics of just one vehicle. Not to mention obtaining the oil and the polution it causes. I am just not buying it.
    There's that, yes, but also remember that much of cattle-raising occurs in South America, and in order to make pastures, they cut and burn huge areas of rainforest. Aside from the ecological damage, that also releases *all* the carbon locked in those trees into the air, hundreds of tons of it per acre.

I'm not saying I disagree, only that I suspect slash-and-burn is a big part of cattle-farming's impact.

Quote[/b] ]I am no chemist by any stretch of the imagination but wasn't it the UN back in the 70's that got the auto industry to install catalytic converters so that our cars produce MORE CO2 and less CO ? We were saving the world from acid rain right ? Instead we end up causing more greenhouse gas to cause global warming.
    Not really; the CO would eventually become CO2 via oxidative reactions in the atmosphere. So CO2 from cars is just a greenhouse gas, while CO is nasty, toxic, *and* eventually turns into a greenhouse gas.

Quote[/b] ]Yes but there are far less of the megaherds of bison, reindeer, antalope, etc roaming the earth thn 10,000 years ago also
    But how much less; those were sustainable herds, with their populations limited by predators and other factors. These are huge, artificial herds with all limits removed.

And these aren't the first ruminants; before there were herds of bison, the US plains were filled with reptilian ruminants the size of bull elephants. And I can only imagine the methane a 150 ton Argentinosaurus would release in a single fart.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ell, actually those wernt ruminants. It is " any hooved animal that digests its food in two steps, first by eating the raw material and regurgitating a semi-digested form known as cud, chewing it and then eating it again"

i dont think Argentinosaurus could have passed a cud up through its looooong Esophagus, but if so, it could have been very interesting to wach.

that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't thought about those things. I'm still a bit skeptical, but I always am when people make major claims about something on scientific grounds.

Quote[/b] ]And I can only imagine the methane a 150 ton Argentinosaurus would release in a single fart.
    -Doug

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it&#33 but 'That's funny ...'
    -Isaac Asimov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I'm still a bit skeptical, but I always am when people make major claims about something on scientific grounds.
    and what grounds would this claim be acceptible by?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is a hole in the ozone considered global warming? Sure a hole in the ozone is caused by CO2 (cars, lawn mowers, power plants, etc., etc.) I don't believe in global warming...that does not mean I do not believe we are doing damage/harm to "Mother Earth".
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope.

Quote[/b] ]Ozone can be destroyed by a number of free radical catalysts, the most important of which are the hydroxyl radical (OH·), the nitric oxide radical (NO·) and atomic chlorine (Cl·) and bromine (Br·). All of these have both natural and anthropogenic (manmade) sources; at the present time, most of the OH· and NO· in the stratosphere is of natural origin, but human activity has dramatically increased the chlorine and bromine. These elements are found in certain stable organic compounds, especially chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which may find their way to the stratosphere without being destroyed in the troposphere. Once in the stratosphere, the Cl and Br atoms are liberated from the parent compounds by the action of ultraviolet light, and can destroy ozone molecules through a variety of catalytic cycles. In the simplest example of such a cycle, a chlorine atom reacts with an ozone molecule, taking an oxygen atom with it (forming ClO) and leaving a normal oxygen molecule. A free oxygen atom then takes away the oxygen from the ClO, and the final result is an oxygen molecule and a chlorine atom, which then reinitiates the cycle.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_depletion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]There's that, yes, but also remember that much of cattle-raising occurs in South America, and in order to make pastures, they cut and burn huge areas of rainforest. Aside from the ecological damage, that also releases *all* the carbon locked in those trees into the air, hundreds of tons of it per acre.
    Cattle are raised in every country on earth, not just South America.
    Cars travel on roads and building these roads destroyed MILLIONS of square miles, of the earth. Nothing, I mean nothing, grows on a road or parking lot.
    Do you have any idea how many cows it would take to duplicate that type of destruction?
    In many countries, cow manure, is burned as fuel, therebye saving trees.
    The United Nations, as usual, is totally wrong in its' assement.
    Can any of you find a flaw in my assement?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i say we blaim the real cause..................NATURE!

you guys do realize we are coming out of an ice age right?

you guys realize that it was warmer in the middle ages(approximately 700 years ago) than it is now right?

you guys realize that there were once farms on Greenland and there seems to be evidence that the Chinese took a boat trip around the Artic and didnt run into any blockages of ice?

is it possible that we are causing changes to the climate..............yeah slightly, but in all reality its not going to matter in the long run to anything but our species. temperatures have been on the increase for more than the last 100 years, it started before the modern industrial factories and such kicked in. any concern over global warming is 100% in our own interest and nothing more. extinction is a natural part of the evolution process. and while i dont avocate the fact that we should just pave over everything i am not nieve enough to figure that we can save every critter thats dieing out. nor do i see the need to other than our for our own selfish purposes. the earth does not NEED us to do this.....species will die and if there is a niche new ones will evolve tot ake their place.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast