Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Global warming

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Rattler. A few months ago our speaker at the rock club, head of the Geology Department at the University of Richmond, spoke about global warming. I don't remember all the technical geological stuff but basically for millions and millions of years the earth has cycled through warming and cooling spells (Ice Ages). Its totally natural, totally unpreventable. Human beings (AND cows) may be helping speed the process a little, but there is really nothing that can be done to stop this. The fact that we humans found a comfortable niche in the climate of the last few hundred years doesn't mean its going to stay this way forever. Climates change, species evolve or die off, the continents shift. We find this hard to accept because we see time in decades or centuries...not millions of years. Our planet will not even look the same in a few million years as the continents continue to drift. Volcanic activity changes our planet every day.

So...its going to be hard for us to see some things change and it may not be to our liking, but its just Mother Earth changing as she must. Nothing is forever. That being said, of course we need to try NOT to pollute the Earth. No need to speed things up more than need be.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys realize that we cant drastically affect the atmosphere without something changing, right?

The resedent climatologis here has something very different to say, PAK. You have to understand that each has their own opinion and evidence, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]you guys realize that it was warmer in the middle ages(approximately 700 years ago) than it is now right?
    Recent evedence shows that the Alps experiencing warmest time in 1,300 years

Quote[/b] ]you guys realize that there were once farms on Greenland and there seems to be evidence that the Chinese took a boat trip around the Artic and didnt run into any blockages of ice?
    i need a source. Please?

For evidence to support the man-made causes, i will point to major scientific agencies.
    Inter-govermental panel on climate change, wich i would point out is the most senior and authoritative body providing scientific advice to global policy makers.
    NASA's Global Hydrology and Climate Center
    National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
    National Center for Atmospheric Research .
    Pew Center on Global Climate Change
    There is a consensus amoung the MAJOR scientific ogranizations that the cause is man-made.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    while the Chinese thing hasnt been proven to my satisfaction either. the farms on Greenland have long been known about. if Greenland was warm enough to have productive farms than it stands to reason that maybe the Arctic could have been circumnavigated, after all you could do it and never be out of sight of land for more than a couple of days if there was no ice. the stretch between Iceland and Greenland is the longest stretch of open sea and the Vikings did that without much problems, least till the global temps dropped during the mini ice age after about 700AD

AND even if we are the main cause(that is a HUGE if) there is nothing we can do to stop it. the main up and coming source of pollution in China and they are not going to do anything the west insists on unless its in their own interest.

http://www.1421.tv/pages/evidence/index.asp the chinese boat trip info i have on quick referance......unfortunatly the wifes 'puter isnt letting me set it up as a link so you have to copy and paste
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But according to Basic facts about Greenland from greenland.com, agriculture still exists on the island. And by farming, could you be refering to sheep farming? It seems that that is the most common 'farming' both past and present, but you are right; agriculture existed then.

About the link, It also claims that chinese were in New Zealand, New Zealand i ssomething i know about, and i havent heard that. Also, they provide no proof for that claim, either. There is nothing there to suggest that anyhing they found can be exlusivly linked to the chinese, and if it were, that it did not get there through trade routs.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you do realize the wife is in Florida and im trying to put out a newspaper and i have never done most of my wifes part of the buisness and what i have done of it most of that was over a year ago

will get back to yah...................dont think im tucking tail on this just yet.......

like i said....im not sold on the Chinese link yet but i think the circumnavigating the Arctic was possible at that time................
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]...................dont think im tucking tail on this just yet.......
    of course. I would be dissapointed if you did.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    figured as much, if we get done early ill jump back in tonight, if not ill start up again on Wednesday evening but ive really got to ignore this place so i can get some work done...........
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could get my hands on historical documents written on our century from 500 years in the future (assuming they'll exist). I really want to know what people have to say about us regarding this whole "saving the ecosystem is too hard and expensive" thing.

I fear it'll be "thanks a lot, jerks", but who knows.

"Perhaps I should let you all in on a little secret. No one likes you in the future." -- self-proclaimed time traveler John Titor

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast