Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A New Dollar on the Horizon?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't be too hard to change the type of paper or ink, would it? The size of the bills doesn't have to change; just punch some holes in the margin, or print the decoration on the margins in foil or a raised/textured ink. You can already feel the print, security strip and other features on newer bills - I can't imagine it would be too hard to choose designs that the blind could easily differentiate.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 05 2006,6:38)]still going to cost us.......i have no problem figuring out how much money i have but i can read and count.

still say the best solution is for the blind to use the readily availible debit cards but prehaps that solution is to simple to work. seems to be working well for those of us with the ability to see. cant figure out how it wont work for the blind.
    And what if a blind person wants to get something at the corner store that does not take debit cards or credit cards (Yes there are still a few of these that exist). Not all establishments that accept cash accept debit or credit cards. Also with debit cards whats to stop the cashier from adding 20 in cash back and pocketing it. Most of those machines do not talk (or if they do I dont know how to make them) so a debit card is still not a complete failsafe.

I think there are many to redesign the money with out changing size. First we should drop the $1 and possible the $5 bills out and switch them to coins. This would actully save us money in not having to reprint those so often. Then all we need to do is chage a small feature of the bill like adding brail or punching holes as other s have suggested. If we just punch holes we would even do this to money already in circulation.

I also find it very sad that people would take advantage of anyone really and this requires us to make our money differnt so that people cant rip off the blind. This is just sad.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    speaking as an American who goes to Canada an aweful lot............$1+$2 coins SUCK.........i REALLY dont like them. paper weights ALOT less

changing the whole system because of the discomfort of few is idiotic........

after 3 knee surgeries that have left me pretty well crippled for periods varrying from a few days to most of a month i have to say boo-hoo........just cause i was on crutches and unable to bend my knee i didnt expect stores to put in ramps just cause i couldnt negotiate stairs short of sitting on my rear and going up and down them. i find this kinda thinking idiotic.

deal with it. if a certain store doesnt accept debit cards FIND ANOTHER STORE. even up here in the middle of nowhere i can use a debit almost everywhere.....and i can use it everywhere that i actually HAVE TO purchase stuff from. ppl need to quit crying, suck it up and deal with the hand they have been delt, asking everyone else to change because YOU dont feel like finding a way for yourself to deal is selfish.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]It wouldn't be too hard to change the type of paper or ink, would it? The size of the bills doesn't have to change; just punch some holes in the margin, or print the decoration on the margins in foil or a raised/textured ink. You can already feel the print, security strip and other features on newer bills - I can't imagine it would be too hard to choose designs that the blind could easily differentiate.
    It all depends on the cost to impliment things like that, and their durability. A hole in a bill leaves the chance it may be caught and ripped- i dont think it would be durable. Also, the cost of those things you talked about might make bills more expensive to produce- we need a net profit from the printing of money to make it practicle for he goverment to mass-produce it
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 05 2006,11:24)]speaking as an American who goes to Canada an aweful lot............$1+$2 coins SUCK.........i REALLY dont like them. paper weights ALOT less

changing the whole system because of the discomfort of few is idiotic........

after 3 knee surgeries that have left me pretty well crippled for periods varrying from a few days to most of a month i have to say boo-hoo........just cause i was on crutches and unable to bend my knee i didnt expect stores to put in ramps just cause i couldnt negotiate stairs short of sitting on my rear and going up and down them. i find this kinda thinking idiotic.

deal with it. if a certain store doesnt accept debit cards FIND ANOTHER STORE. even up here in the middle of nowhere i can use a debit almost everywhere.....and i can use it everywhere that i actually HAVE TO purchase stuff from. ppl need to quit crying, suck it up and deal with the hand they have been delt, asking everyone else to change because YOU dont feel like finding a way for yourself to deal is selfish.
    I have also been to canada and alot of other countries that use more coins than paper money and you know what, you deal with it and it becomes no problem after a few days. It cost the government much more to print $1 bills than they are worth. Your concerned about cost until it inconviences you.

As for cruches, I have learned to walk up and down stairs on crutches and know someone who can carry a full cup of coffee while on crutches, so you could have learned to go up and down stairs. Also if you couldnt get up the stairs your not getting ripped off by dishonest people. I have a blind friend who will only go to certain stores because he knows the cashiers there are honest. Atleast once a week he finds out someone shorted him on change if he goes places he doesnt know, and thats just too often in my opinion. Lets see how you would feel about the situtation if people kept ripping you off.

You are esentally advocating the blind have to learn to rely on other people which is not something that I believe we shoudl force them to do. These people arnt crying, they instead are asking for minor modifications to make the living of an independent life possible. How hard would it be to put in a hole punching stamp that woudl punch the holes as the bills are cut out of the large sheet. Sure its buying a new die for that one cutter but the cost of that would pale in comparison to much larger changes. Why cant we do something that woudl in the end cost very little to make peoples lives easier?
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]after 3 knee surgeries that have left me pretty well crippled for periods varrying from a few days to most of a month i have to say boo-hoo........just cause i was on crutches and unable to bend my knee i didnt expect stores to put in ramps just cause i couldnt negotiate stairs short of sitting on my rear and going up and down them. i find this kinda thinking idiotic.
    But your disability was temporary. What if you had a court date, and it was up a flight of stairs? What if you just spent a grand on a plane ticket, only to find out that the only way onto the plane is stairs because they switched planes at the last minute?

What if you're in a building that catches *ON FIRE*, and can't get down the stairs? What do you do, suck it up and burn to death while accepting your lot?

Sorry, but that's just moronic. There is a certain level of learning to cope, but there's absolutely no reason beyond petty selfishness not to make *some* effort to make people's lives a bit easier. There's bending over backward, and then there's common courtesy and human decency.

Quote[/b] ]deal with it. if a certain store doesnt accept debit cards FIND ANOTHER STORE. even up here in the middle of nowhere i can use a debit almost everywhere.....and i can use it everywhere that i actually HAVE TO purchase stuff from.
    And if that isn't the case?

You act like this is a huge issue; a few bumps added and it's solved. That's *trivial* compared to the lengths we go to to prevent counterfeiting.

Perhaps you need to realize that society is not based around pure, unadulterated selfishness and consider the possibility that helping others might be a good thing.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as Finch said cutting hols in paper money causes more duribility issues than we already have.

i realize coins cost less than printing paper money, however in order to switch to coin your going to have to change the ways you deal with the money. its going to cost buisness ppl money to convert, the government is not going to pass on its savings from not printing the bills.

what i am unhapy about is the fact that a very minor part of the population thinks they need to change things to the point its going to seriously impare others(in this case through taxes and retrofitting or rebuilding our current ways of dealing with our current money)

i have been ripped of by thousands of dollars by dishonest buisness men. i chalk it up to learning experiance as im to far away to put a boot up their rear. am i happy about it? hell no. did i learn something from it? hell yes. did i change the way i do buisness? hell yes. there are enough places in the US today that a blind person should have zero problems using a debit or credit card if they so choose. i fail to see how changing the way we print money is going to keep ppl from getting ripped off. hell the current system rips of ppl who can see just fine........ever have a bank pass on to you a counterfiet bill on accident because they didnt realize it was? once you pick the money up off the counter it is no longer their responsibility and you cant exchange it back.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering everything else that's been tacked onto our currency - the buried stripe, the ghost face and so on - it can't be significantly more difficult or expensive to add something to make it user-friendly for blind people.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast