Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A New Dollar on the Horizon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 06 2006,3:12)]We can also finish off the icecaps. That'll teach them to break off into the sea.....
    good idea with less ice around = warmer air. We can also save money cause with global warming we dont need these heat for the poor programs. Or even better lets just eat the poor that would save a ton of money on welfare, heating programs, low income housing, and so many other problems and it will be earth friendly cause it will lower the impact of humans on the planet.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]earth friendly cause it will lower the impact of humans on the planet.
    If thats the goal then prehaps we should start with the rich...
    that makes no logic

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think that debit cards are a reasonable solution in the meantime. I know that personally, if I was afraid that I was going to be taken advantage of, I would do as much as possible to eliminate every possible risk. Of course, I can say this because I'm not blind, so anything that comes after is just speculative.

If I were blind, I do not think it would be inconvienent to frequent stores that could accomodate my secure behavior; and, if I had been blind my entire life I doubt I would've established relationships with people at stores that did not accomodate my secure behavior; and, if I had, then I would not have to worry about being taken advantage of.

Of course, the only problem would be if for some reason I was stranded and had an emergency at "mom and pop store" that didn't take debit cards.

If I were blind I would be using a debit card without think I had been screwed because of my disability. Heck, I can see and I almost use a debit card exclusively.

Again, I am in no way trying to presume what it is like to be blind.
    xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 05 2006,12:38)]still say the best solution is for the blind to use the readily availible debit cards but prehaps that solution is to simple to work. ....cant figure out how it wont work for the blind.
    The exclusive use of debit cards won't work for the blind. My in-laws are both blind, and although we live in a highly progressive country (Taiwan), debit cards are not a be-all-end-all solution because there are always situations where you need cash. Not everyone lives in cities, and not every mom&pop store in the boonies store accepts debit cards.

Not to mention the many ways debit cards can be used to manipulate blind people, especially seniors ("Sorry, old man, this card's empty. Here, let me throw it away for you. Now, how about some cash?")

And yes, as a practical tool, US banknotes are a sad mess.
    Same color, same size, same feel - this is unique in the world, and the only reason it's never been changed is that Americans are used to work around the problems it causes and don't care much about the odd foreign tourist's opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the scanner concept put out earlier sounds like a viable solution. It could be built into some other useful object like a cel phone. I don't know though, just another piece of overpriced technology to break down. And possibly one that would be hard to afford for some blind folks--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Not to mention the many ways debit cards can be used to manipulate blind people, especially seniors ("Sorry, old man, this card's empty. Here, let me throw it away for you. Now, how about some cash?")
    And what's to stop them writing down the debit-card number and using it to make an load of purchases later? Or changing the price they ring up?

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1 you cant stop criminals...............its impossible, someone will always be out to take advantage of you

#2 as a blind person i would much rather have a debit card than be carrying a wad of cash..............what the heck am i supposed to do if some one tried to take my money...........i cant identify the person to the police, gotta hope someone else saw what went down. lets see a debit card that can be protected against theft, not to mention most companies would return funds to the card if it is stolen. and the fact with one phone call i could cancel the card and prevent its use.

you guys seem to forget where i live and where i travel. i live in a town of 4500 ppl and there isnt a town any bigger for 100 miles. i have no issues using a debit card for most everything and i deal with alot of mom and pop stores and yet i have no problem using a debit card in any of the places i shop within 100 miles of my door, living in one of the poorest areas of the state.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only problem I have with dept cards is that some places have a $10 min. on purchases.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast