User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New York- saving us- from ourselves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Dec. 05 2006,11:01)]Democracy dies......
    I second that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Jungle is a novel. Firmly grounded in reality, but novels aren't reliable places for viewing reality. I heard that Sinclair wrote it to draw people's attention to the suffering of immigrant workers and was upset that people instead got riled up about some rat meat making it into the sausages.

Josh makes a good comparison. Trans fats will lead to many more deaths and cost society much more than illegal drugs. They'll also harm more Americans than Bin Laden and others ever dreamed of. They just do it without all the photogenic smoke & flames.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need to go back to basics! All natural foods. Forget all the man made processed CRAP!!! I hate processed foods. Canned food is about the only thing I don't mind. Then again there are some of those I will not touch. All this hamburger helper and such is what is killing this nation.

quogue I feel your pain. I do not want a new ban, but I do feel this is a good one. The restaraunts are not going to stop using transfats because they are cheaper to use. When it comes to business, all that matters is the bottom line. There are few places that stopped using trans fat oils voluntarily. Since we cannot expect the foos places to regulate themselves the government has to step in and do it. Transfats are not natural and should not be used. Now I see the sides where people say. Label everything and let the people decide. Well frankly some people need to be saved from themselves. On one hand I feel if they want to be stupid let them kill themselves. On the other hand they need protection from themselves. It is a thin line to walk.

Another problem is that foods high in transfats are cheep. Many people are forced to buy them based on economic situations. I am not talking about restaruants here. I am talking about in the grocery store. Those people are forced sometimes to buy foods high in transfats and hydrogenated oils. We need to ban transfats all together. We would have a healthier nation. It would force companies to make healthier foods that are affordable to everyone. Then again what do I know. I have no willpower when it comes to many of these foods, so when my wif, who doesn't care about reading labels, buys it I still eat it. So if it was banned then my wife wouldn't be able to buy it then I wouldn't be temped to eat it.

The bottom line is that transfats are proven to be bad for you. Even at small doses. Almost all are unatural, sionce there are few natural transfats and all the man made transfats have no place in our food system.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it's good!!! You really CAN'T buy food that doesn't have trans fat without seriously knowing some stuff. Read the can? See 0% trans fat? IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH. You need to read the ingredients.
    The FDA wanted this label on products with transfats:
    Warning: Trans fats may be dangerous to your health.

That's the exact same warning that first appeared on cigarettes, and with good reason. Trans fats have exactly the same capacity for long-term metabolic mischief as cigarette smoke. But the only label the FDA could get the food industry to agree to was a much weaker version:

Intake of trans fats should be as low as possible.

If you look closely, you'll see it down there at the bottom of the label. But you have to know to look for it. Otherwise, you'd never notice it.

But the more serious problem is that the law still allows the food product to contain 2.2 grams of trans fat in every serving. How?
    The percentages you see on food labels are not percentages of the food, but rather the percentage that the food's "Standard Serving Size" represents in a 2,000 calorie diet.
    So manufacturers can play with the standard serving size (making it half a candy bar for example), and as long as that number comes in at less than 20 calories, it's less than 1%. Apparently, the law allows a company to claim 0% in that case. So "0% trans fat" does not mean "no trans fat". It means that, at 9 calories per gram, the "standard serving" could still contain slightly less than 2.2 grams of trans fat (2.2 grams x 9 calories per gram = 19.8 calories).

Oh, and what about high fructose corn syrup? It's deadly too... And long been illegal in Europe.
    and also... trans fats have been outlawed in Europe and Canada for decades. We're running behind here.. Only having done it in NY so far.

Anyway- these are some quick grabbed cut and pastes from a site i've been reading. There is alot of information on it and I've been passing it around to friends for quite some time. Take a few hours and read stuff...
    http://www.treelight.com/health/
    specifically check out topics:
    # Trans Fats: Metabolic Poisons
    # What's Wrong with Partially Hydrogenated Oils?
    # What's Wrong with Trans Fat Labels?
    # Boycott Hydrogenation!
    #The Role of Trans Fats in Disease and the Possible Effects of Fasting
    #The Facts About Fats (One-page poster. Freely distributable) read this one if you just want the "facts" as stated here
    there are other topics there too, but these deal with the subject at hand.

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 06 2006,6:23)]Arsenic and Trans fat are not the same.. You're comparing Nightshade to frenchfries.
    Oh and this....

... trans fats are poisons, just like arsenic or cyanide. They interfere with the metabolic processes of life by taking the place of a natural substance that performs a critical function. And that is the definition of a poison. Your body has no defense against them, because they never even existed in our two billion years of evolution -- so we've never had the need or the opportunity to evolve a defense against them.
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    woo hoo someone else on the NO TRANS bandwaggon. Nice post Andrew!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you cant legislate against stupidity..............if your that worried about trans fats GET OFF YOUR REAR AND COOK YOUR OWN FOOD!

its a waste of money doing this crap........inform the public that trans fats are bad and let them decide if they want to eat them.........heck, have we come to a desition yet as to wiether or not eggs are good for us? thats flip flopped so dang much in the last 10 years i dont remember anymore.

i cant feel sorry for any young ppl who smoke either as i know everyone under the age of 30 for sure was informed that they were bad for you and could quite likely kill you. yet ppl still choose to smoke. its their choice, who cares if they want to kill themselves. your headed farther down a very slippery slope by doing legislation such as this...............whats next? caffine..........refined sugar?
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh okay- So If I don't really have time to cook my own food. I have to eat these transfats and such that are everywhere. Man I wish I could mannage to ALWAYS make my own food and was never running late for anything so I could do that.
    I think that's the wrong way to look at it. The public has made it known they want transfat gone. I keep hearing about differnt fast food places (here at least) working on doing away with transfats. Once we have some places that don't have them and places that do have them... I'm sure that will help those that do have them do away with them. (less buisness i'd bet) be it that, or be it a law that makes transfats illegal. If they're gone. I'll be ahppier. (and healthier, bottom line.)

-Andrew

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast