User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New York- saving us- from ourselves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trans-fats are undoubtedly the vilest thing to hit food since monosodium glutamate (MSG). According to the best science, they raise the levels of bad cholesterol, lower the levels of good cholesterol and generally mess with your body, contributing to obesity, heart disease and diabetes. They have absolutely no known benefits and yet are intentionally added to foods they're made when manufacturers add hydrogen to vegetable oil to increase its shelf life and make it taste less greasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]"It's as if somebody were adding arsenic to hamburger mix,"
    says Walter Willett, trans-fat guru and professor of epidemiology and nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health. (spot on endperenthesis- did you get that from that quote?)

Just five grams of trans-fats per day increases your chances of a heart attack by 25%. And five grams isn't all that much. A large serving of McDonald's fries has about 8 grams of trans-fats. Your daily chocolate croissant from Starbuck's has six.

Heart disease is New York City's leading cause of deaths. And by the most conservative estimate, getting rid of trans-fats would save about 500 lives in New York each year
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    theres always Subway.....................

personally, i cant stand the smell of McDonalds and similar but i have been known to eat at Arby's on a semi regular basis....................

YOUR answer to cutting trans fats out of YOUR diet is to have the government make them illegal...........seems like backwards thinking to me.....its your desition to put the stuff in your body
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    saving 500 lives a year seems like a good trade-off to me.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    making ppl walk instead of drive cars will save how many more........outlawing junk food will prevent how many cases of diabetes..............where does it end? its supposed to be a free country, should be your choice to do what you wish to your own body. unfortunatly the majority of the ppl in this country seem to be un able to buck up and take that responsibility and insist the guberment do it for them..............its a shame
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rattler, have you honestly gone through your pantry? Do you use any ready made foods? canned foods? do you really use fresh everythings for every meal? Look through them. Does it say zero transfats? If it does, now look and see if it says partially hydrogenated oils or wholly hydrogenated oils then it contains transfats. AT LEAST make it so we know when we're eating it. did you read what I wrote about how they hide it? It's already been attempted and failed to be able to inform the public when they're eating transfats. Beacuse the companies want to be able to contenue giving it to us. If they don't want to appropriatly inform us of what we're eating. Then ban it. and that's the step we're at IMHO.

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This step seems like a dead-end to me. A ban like this can only exist in New York- or San Fran
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    didnt say i dont use them.........but im not the one screaming im being poisoned either.

the companies are being allowed to do it because we allow our government to let them. "we" screamed about how bad the natural oils were for us and didnt want them in our food, so they changed oils.......sounds to me like this country got what they asked for. there isnt a person on this board who wont admit that the system is screwed up and the guberment is corupt yet everyone shruges their shoulders and does nothing. sure its fun to blaim the party in power but in alreality, deep down, we know electing the other guy isnt going to fix anything....................cant see where banning trans fats will help, the next thing in line to replace them, they will find out 5 or 10 years down the road causes cancer or weakens the immune system.......it aint going to end.........if it really and truely bothers you the ONLY way to avoid this kind stuff is to raise your own food so you know what goes into it........
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Dec. 08 2006,6:40)]YOUR answer to cutting trans fats out of YOUR diet is to have the government make them illegal...........seems like backwards thinking to me.....its your desition to put the stuff in your body
    What about punishing businesses for sneaking poison into the food they sell? Isn't that a criminal act?

If it was a poison with a stigma, there'd be outrage, boycotts, and a thread on this forum entitled "Someone needs to do something about these restaurants!"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast