What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with ring

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
My boyfriend ordered me a beautiful ring for Christmas, I recieved it yesterday and it's perfect except for one thing, it's half a size too big (not his fault, I said I needed a certain size and they didn't come in half sizes). I don't want to have it cut and resized cause I'm worried it would mess up the ring, but yesterday his mom mentioned that I should get a ring guard. I've never seen one or heard of one, but I think it's a piece of something you put on the inside of the ring so it fits better. Anyone know anything about these, prices and where I could get one?

Thanks
-Niki-
smile.gif

You can order those things out of like Carol Wright or Miles Kimball. I think you can get like a 5 or 10 pack. They are probably mystery metal.

If you want real gold then 50-75 is a good price IMO.

I don't know what a ring guard is, but I do know that they can weld two little balls or ball bearings on the inside of the bottom of the ring that are sized to fit snuggly up against your finger, thus making the ring fit. My sister had to do that to a ring she got.

My wife also resized one of her rings recently to a smaller size and i couldn't even tell where they made the cut. It was pretty amazing.

Sounds like a nice gift.

xvart.

You really shouldn't worry about cutting it. The rings that can't be resized due to the design are the minority. My mom gets stuff cut all the time and she's never had a problem.

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. I wonder if it would be expensive to get it cut. I don't want to do it cause I waited for this ring for a long time and finally I get it yesterday and I have to say goodbye to it again,lol. I don't know how long it would take to get back if they cut it. If it doesn't leave a mark on the ring where they cut it then I might do that. Thanks again, I'll look into it.

What's the ring made of? A gold ring can be re-sized to be smaller or larger without leaving any mark because it's so easily worked. Hopefully, there'll be a nearby jeweler that does it in-house rather than sending it out. Either way, it's something they can do quickly and for not a lot of money.

It's sterling silver coated with white gold. I was hoping I could just find a nearby jeweler, I really don't want to send it out
sad.gif

Scotch tape works just as good as a ring gaurd.

VERY classy Ozzy

Yes Clint I know.
boogie.gif

Actually I think that some jewelers have a device with which they can compress the band into itself on the bottom to downsize it without cutting or anything-- ask about it--

Actually as bad as it sounds, right now I did exactly what 0zzy suggested! My bf suggested it for now and it works and I know no one can see it, but I can and it's bugging me. Thanks throckmoron, I will ask about that
smile.gif

What's that sound? Oh... just Ozzy's head swelling.
laugh.gif

I looked it up and I was remembering correctly, I think it's typically called a shrinker/expander. It's how a lot of jewelry stores "magically" resize your ring without any visible cut. They should be able to do it while you wait.

Wow throckmoron thank you so much for looking that up for me
smile.gif
I will definetly ask about it
smile.gif
Thanks again!

I didn't think 0zzy's head could swell anymore
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I didn't think 0zzy's head could swell anymore
rock.gif

It can't it's the size of a watermelon now.

both my wedding/engagement rings have been too big. my last one was gorgeous. got it sized down and soldered together- no problem. i even resold it when we split. it was two peices- a ring and a wrap. the band was white gold. my current one is just a half carat soiltare on a little gold band. i just haven't made the time to size it down yet. it fit perfectly when i was pregnant!

anyway, you can look in the yellow pages (online or the old-school way) and find a jeweler that can do it...

i just raided my drawers cause i actually thought i had some of those plastic spacers.
sad.gif
no luck. i'll look again after i eat. if it's any consolation i got some at walmart. they work pretty decently as long as the ring isn't drastically too big.

0zzy we need to pop your head!

Bugfreak thanks for that info, I was thinking I could look in Walmart and find some plastic spacers. Maybe I'll just end up getting it cut, I dunno. I've gotten some pretty good advice here so I'll look into it all. Thanks again
smile.gif

I got my ring resized yesterday and I got it back today, it looks great! I also got Jeff a ring and of course it was too big so I got that one done as well. Everyone I called told me it would take 4 weeks to get our rings back but this one place said it will be ready the next day so of course I went with them, it was $25 each so not bad. Thanks for the info you all gave me, I'm glad I did it, it's perfect
oh.gif

Back