User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Worms?  Problem!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there may have been a thread about this somewhere-- I have many Pygmy pots with something living in the soil that makes little heaps of peat on top of the soil surface. It seems like what earthworms do. It is really a problem in the Pygmy pots because it's ugly and the piles can cover up Pygmies. Does anyone have input on what these things are specifically and/or a good way to deal with it. I had the same thing in some Utric. pots and I was trying to deal with it by keeping the pots flooded for extended periods but I'm not sure about doing that with the Pygmies-- Thanks!

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like earthworms have gotten into the pot. I lost a bunch of my Utrics this last year because of that. The worms enrich the soil which is bad for your pygmys. I repotted my utrics, salvaging as much of them as I could to restart in new pots. Pygmys are a little more difficult to do this with as they have delicate roots and the plants can go into shock or die of they are distrubed to much. Your other choice is a soil drench pesticide to kill the worms, but it might also kill the plants. I have not used one and don't know if there are any safe ones to use with CPs. If you have gemmae forming, harvest the ripe ones and start a fresh pot of plants and discard the old pots. I would isolate the affected pots so the worms don't get into any others.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea most definetaly isolate them, I would try to save a few plants in a new pot... try to take maybe 1/3 of the pygms maybe and put them in a nother pot hopefuly they survive, and they start a new little colony