What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some pics from NM/CA/AZ

• Thread starter Drosera36
  • Start date
I was in Santa Barbara this summer, and I also went to NM (by driving through AZ), and here are some pics. Somehow I lost the cd the pics were on, and only now have I found it. Apparently, the area we stayed in was around the base of a huge-mongous dead volcano. Sorry for all the pics, I kind of got carried away with uploading...
sad.gif

Here's a small fraction of the volcano top (this is actually a huge area in the pic, several square miles, I think it was 60 or something.)
HW2_5244.jpg

Some scenery:
HW2_5245.jpg

HW2_5246.jpg

And a nice car lol.
HW2_5247.jpg

And here's a random pic I uploaded from when we were in the Petrified Forest Natural Park. IT WAS HOT!
HW2_5276.jpg

More pics to come....

-Ben

Painted Desert/Petrified Forest (AZ) (yes, all the large chunks are the petrified trees)

dscn1887.jpg

HW2_5264.jpg

HW2_5265.jpg

HW2_5269.jpg

HW2_5274.jpg

HW2_5275.jpg

HW2_5278.jpg

HW2_5261.jpg

HW2_5263.jpg

HW2_5144.jpg

-Ben

More painted dessert....

HW2_5145.jpg

HW2_5146.jpg

Meteor Crater (AZ):

HW2_5141.jpg

Newspaper rock(AZ):

HW2_5260.jpg

NM/Pueblo stuff:

HW2_5167.jpg

HW2_5194.jpg

HW2_5205.jpg

HW2_5204.jpg

HW2_5243.jpg

Random bits of dessert:
HW2_5258.jpg

-Ben

Where's the Petrified Forest Natural Park??? In New Mexico?

GR8 pix , Ben
Makes me want to go on a road trip.
Lois

Wow
oh.gif

Who ever cut those pieces up for firewood did a nice job.
I wonder if they used a chainsaw?

Thanks.

Lol, I think they used a shovel. Now onto the Santa Cruz Island pics....why did I take 300 pics?!??!?!

-Ben

niice. thanks for the "tour" (now i don't have to spend money and go for myself....j/k)

those are really neat.

Here's sort of a tour of the 5 mile trail across Santa Cruz Island (it's the chicken shaped channel island). It was pretty dang rugged terrain, easy one way, not so easy the way back. But, it was really different from Santa Barbara. It was about an hour or so boat ride.

Sea Lions (plus a lady's head):
DSCN1947.jpg

Oil rig:
dscn1950.jpg

Dolphin:
DSCN1953.jpg

Blue whale:
DSCN1962.jpg

DSCN1963.jpg

Island:
DSCN1964.jpg

View of old farming stuff from trail (the island was apparently used soley for farming not too long ago):
DSCN1966.jpg

Another view, higher up:
dscn1967.jpg

Once again:
DSCN1968.jpg

Stand of iron wood trees (I think) which are extinct on the mainland:
DSCN1969.jpg

-Ben

sweet! I like the Iron wood tree's a shame they might e extinct on the main land...

Crud load of pinecones on a dead tree (first rest stop):
dscn1973.jpg

There was a sort of ravene (sp?) where there was a lot of ferns.
DSCN1975.jpg

DSCN1977.jpg

Here's the magic of CA, where you can find cacti right next to ferns:
DSCN1978.jpg

Some really nice scenery after the ditch:
dscn1979.jpg

dscn1980.jpg

DSCN1981.jpg

DSCN1982.jpg

Some sort of dormant native bush (forgot the name):
DSCN1983.jpg

Very near the end of the trail, a little pool of water at the back of a dried river:
DSCN1991.jpg

-Ben

dscn1993.jpg

DSCN1996.jpg

Lil succulent at the end of the trail:
DSCN1998.jpg

(Orange are starfish):
DSCN2002.jpg

Lizard:
DSCN2003.jpg

Tide pool:
DSCN2004.jpg

Back at the pool, a little frog less than an inch long:
DSCN2010.jpg

Going back to the boat, a lizard again:
DSCN2011.jpg

And again:
DSCN2013.jpg

A little stream I found about 20 feet from the shore:
DSCN2018.jpg

And I also spotted some bat rays on the dock before we departed. All in all, it was freakin' sweet!!! (Almost got heat stroke or something, despite the nice scenery, it was hot.)

-Ben

nice

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Eight types of plants - among them Santa Cruz Island manzanita, Santa Cruz Island gooseberry and Santa Cruz Island lacepod - are unique to the island and found nowhere else in the world.
I beleve those are island oak forests in the ravines- a relict species that died out on the mainland millions of years ago.

Are Island Oaks a type of iron wood? Why'd they go extinct? Oh, the guide said that that stand is really just one tree, as in they're all connected by roots or something.

-Ben

man! you've got me wanting to take a cool vacation and see something different. don't know how i'd ever pull it off though. i really am enjoying your pictures though.

No im not talking about the Iron wood stand, im talking about the forest in the last picture. Island oak is a primitive species that was ousted by climate change and competition long ago-

Thanks.

Finch: Oh, ok.

I don't 'spose anyone wants me to upload the pics from the botanical garden?
biggrin.gif
(If it's too many pics already, I can stop here, lol.)

-Ben

Back