Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever tried homebrewing?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OH! And unless you're following direct instructions to the word:

Write down what you did!! You never want to make the best batch of beer EVER and not remember how you did it. lol
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good beginner book is The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Papazian. I haven't brewed in a couple years now, but it's kind of enjoyable even before drinking the beer. Sanitation is the key and, unless the beer is still hot, nothing can touch it that hasn't been sanitized in a bleach/water solution.

I don't like the basic beer making kits because I don't like their plastic buckets and cheap cappers. Those buckets are too easily contaminated and those cheap cappers would have made me quit after the first batch. Get glass carboys instead and you'll want two to start. One should be the larger (7 gallon?) size and the second and any additional ones you get later can be the standard 5 gallons. I have four, which allows me to have up to three batches going at a time.

I also recommend the cappers that you slide a bottle under with one hand and pull on a lever with the other. Other than for those two things, the kits have all the other important stuff, although I like spring operated bottle fillers and I don't think kits generally include those. You'll need bottles too and I like the 22 - 24 oz bottles because that's half as many bottles to wash and cap. If you're in a bottle deposit state you can usually buy empties from stores that sell the microbrews and other beers that come in that size. You can't use twist-top bottles and the darker the glass the better. Light is an enemy of beer.

Although I'm not a fan of the basic equipment kits, I do recommend you start with a simple beer kit. Keep it simple the first time or two and then start buying ingredients for all the recipes you'd like to try. Start with simple recipes too and gradually let it get complicated. I never reached all-mash brewing, because of kitchen space and ambition deficiencies, but many reach that level. If you can get one or two people to brew with you, it'll be a lot easier and can be a real good time.

You can start drinking homebrew within a couple weeks of bottling, but you'll find homebrew generally improves with age. Assuming you used good sanitation. I've brewed some porters and stouts that weren't so good at one month and were spectacular after a year. I still remember an oatmeal stout that I kept one bottle past two years and it was so good I wish I would have kept all of them so long. Ignore the Budweiser propaganda about fresh beer. Some English styles are best that way but most beers improve with age.

I'm glad you asked the question because writing all this makes me want to head over to the homebrew store and start another batch or two.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that alrton brown dude show how to do it step by step. it seemed pretty easy to me.

He even had a bubble counter!

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to do all-mash brewing a couple of years ago- I concur with all of what herenorthere said- especially the part about leaving the "product" for as long as you can- the longest I lost a bottle of stout for was roughly 8 months and it nearly made us WEEP when we tasted it, so sweet and smooth

It really is easy, as long as you follow the sterilization protocols mentioned already, as seedjar said if you DO mess it up, it is TRULY awful (and sad, too, since you no doubt could actually drink it without experiencing too much trouble, but the taste of a "spoilt" batch is NASTY and makes you want to dump it straight into the sewer)

If you DO proceed, keep us posted on your results, maybe some of us might be able to help out if you hit any snags (and I volunteer to be the official taster if you like, being Canadian and all )
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen a single URL you mean to tell me with out world theirs no URL on how to brew any kind of alcohol. I think I'm going to brew something now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh oh oh I found one!
    its for mead though not beer.
    http://www.realbeer.com/edu/mead/makeyourown.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Beer = bleh! Now I've got a good dandylion wine recipe. Made a one gallon batch of it the spring/summer of '84. I need to dig it out of the pantry and see if it's still good or if I now have dandylion vinegar . Tested it about 3 years ago and it put me on my butt after a small (8oz. honest!) glass full.
    Don't you need a 'mother' culture to make vinegar?

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I saw that alrton brown dude show how to do it step by step. it seemed pretty easy to me.

He even had a bubble counter!
    I love Alton Brown! I watch his show Good Eats whenever i can. That's also where i heard about making vinegar with a 'mother'

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast