Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: My gliders finally did it!

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trapper, I expect to see pics of the kids ASAP! My daughter wants to see them too!
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ Dec. 12 2006,3:06)]Some women put the glider(s) in their bra and keep them in there all day (they're nocturnal) and this way they get to know the persons scent, I did this it was neat.
    i spent a day doing the same thing once...
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I'm excited too! But I won't be able to take pics for quite some time after they're born and they enter the pouch, that is where they will stay for approx. 70 days to finish growing. Just before the 70 days is up I will see some body parts hanging out of the mom's pouch, like a little black tail or a foot, lol. Then the babies come out and start wandering around the cage and eating big glider food That's when I can take pics, so you'll have to wait about another 2 and a half months I hope I'm right about her being pregnant though!
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ Dec. 20 2006,7:11)]Just before the 70 days is up I will see some body parts hanging out of the mom's pouch, like a little black tail or a foot, lol. Then the babies come out and start wandering around the cage and eating big glider food
    That is the cutest thing I've read in a while. Can't wait! So will you know when she gives birth, or does she birth quietly and then immediately scoop up the babies and put them in the pouch?

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so whats the expected date from when they finaly fall out... I mean come out of the pouch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xvart, I've never witnessed a glider birth before, so I'm really not sure. All I know is that she does it alone and the daddy just watches,lol, kind of just stays out of the way. It can happen at any time of day, they're nocturnal but she can still give birth in the day. She will have some contractions before the birth so I'll look for that. She actually won't help the babies at all when it comes to them getting into her pouch, the babies have to climb on their own up and find the pouch, then get in it and find a nipple which they will be latched onto for 2 whole months, this will be a very critical time because the babies are blind and deaf still at this point, so hopefully they will make it alright by themselves, if I notice that one has fallen then I can place it back onto the mommy's tummy, near her pouch and hopefully it will be ok then, if not I will have to try and hand raise it myself. When the babies come out of the pouch approx. 70 days later, then the daddy will help, he's not useless throughout the whole thing,lol. He will carry the babies on his back and bring them food as well, as will the mom.

Nep-ak, If she got pregnant on the day that I saw them mating (December,10th) then they should be born on or around December-26th, then they will come out of the pouch for good around March-7th of next year, loooong time! But since they're only in the mom's belly for 16 days, they have to do the rest of the growing in the pouch. I hope I'm right about her being pregnant, we're really excited!
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just.. stay in the uterus atleast a little longer. What's the reason for birthing so early and going to the pouch? Is there an advantage to that over staying in the uterus longer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because milk is cheaper for the body to make than a whole babie
    that makes no logic

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast