What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My gliders finally did it!

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Alright! My sugar gliders finally "did it" last night, so if my males swimmers are good, then my female should be having her baby/babies in 16 days, then they stay in the pouch for 2 months and then are ready to come out, woohoo! If he did it right then they should be born the day after Christmas
oh.gif

16 days? WOW!

If I had a marsupial I'd want to hide peanuts and stuff in their pouch when they are asleep.

Ummm ok, why? Anyways, yeah 16 days is all then she gives birth and the babies (usually 2, but could be 1-3) climb on their own up to the mommy's pouch and get in it. This is a very critical time, not all babies will make it into the pouch.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I had a marsupial I'd want to hide peanuts and stuff in their pouch when they are asleep.

JLAP...yer just ain't right.
laugh.gif

Yay I'm happy for you! I've always wanted a sugar glider.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote
If I had a marsupial I'd want to hide peanuts and stuff in their pouch when they are asleep.

JLAP...yer just ain't right.
laugh.gif

I agree!
biggthumpup.gif

puke.gif
(sorry i just had to try it out)

That is pretty neat. Some baby pictures would be nice in 16 days.
bigsmile.gif

What are you going to do with the Babies?
How dificult is it to keep sugar gliders?

congrats Niki!
Josh: they arent very hard...they are just needy. its like taking care of babies 24/7.
Alex

LMAO!
laugh.gif

Come on. A sleepy glider waking up to a peanutty surprise? Theres a good 2 mnutes of cuteness in that......

What else would work? WE COULD GIVE THEM SKITTLES!!!!

you would probably upset it then it would latch to you're face gnawing at you're nose... now theirs 2 min's of rabid cuteness!

I forgot to ask, no pictures? This is obviously a thing to remember right?

I have also wanted a sugarglider for a long time and my wife is not thrilled about my sugarglider excitement. I can't wait to hear about the babies - I will keep my fingers crossed. What are you going to do with the babies?

How exciting!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 11 2006,2:39)]If I had a marsupial I'd want to hide peanuts and stuff in their pouch when they are asleep.
lol?

xvart.

Sounds like Niki's gliders are already playing "Hide the peanut"

I've never heard of sugar gliders before...
Niki, is this how they look like? (I did a quick google search...)
Sugar-Glider-Baby-pix.jpg

They are cute but their big eyes and skeleton hands kinda make me uncomfortable.

As opposed to my pet, who's covered in spikes and attacks my mother. Come to think of it, Gliders seem a lot friendlier than pippi....

Hey, Niki if you are going to be looking for homes for your gliders, if your male did it right. Keep me in mind. My other pet Lucy needs a roommate.

laugh.gif

Jlap thats an ugly baby one... they get a bit cuter when they grow up..

Oh, Clint, you could also stuff in lil mini snake things that pop out of bean cans as a joke. Lol.

I hope the babies do well Trapper.

-Ben

yeah, me and my mom have been trying to get a sugar glider but we know that if we do, my dad will shoot us both.:angry:
mad.gif

Never heard of sugar gliders before, did some quick googling and they have intrigued me. How hard are they to care for? I read that there should have at least 2 sugar gliders since they are nocturnal. What's your findings? Where can you find babies? If you need to find a home for one please PM me we can work something out.

Found this YouTube video, pretty cool:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fiYNCUXKAy0

Wow so many questions
tounge.gif
First off 0ZZY! No you cannot have a baby sugar glider so your snake or lizard or whoever can eat it, you big meanie
tounge.gif
On the other hand what you said about my male playing hide the peanut was hilarious!
laugh.gif
Like Glider said, Sugar Gliders are needy but not THAT hard to care for, they need a special diet. Mine are on the BML diet, which I make myself, you can Google BML diet and it will tell you what it is, it's very easy. I also give mine lots of fresh fruit and veggies, mine love apples, pears, cucumbers, carrots and yogurt. And they need mealworms too, they LOVE mealworms! You definetly should get 2 gliders because they are very social animals, if you only get one you have to make sure you give it lots of attention everyday no matter what. They need to live in a large TALL cage, like a large parrot cage, mine are in one that is 5 feet tall by 2 feet deep by 2 feet wide. Gliders live in trees all their lives, so that's why the cage has to be tall. They need to sleep in a pouch, you can buy one or make your own
smile.gif
That is a glider in that pic but that's a very young one. I did take pics of my guys doing it but I didn't want to post them unless someone asked, and nep_ak did so I will post them now
tounge.gif
They did not mind that I took pics at all, they just kept on going at it,lol. I've heard other peoples gliders have done it in their wheel,lol. They really are not that hard to care for, but they can get niosy at night, they bark, it's a very strange noise
tounge.gif
You have to spend lots of time with them when you first get them so they will bond with you, if not they can bite and be pretty mean. I plan on keeping these first babies after that we will probably sell them. Jeff doesn't want to neuter our male, he thinks it's mean, but they don't mate that often, not like rats who do it all the time and have tons of babies. Gliders usually have 2 babies but they can have just one or three as well. Ok here are the pics, they're not graphic so don't worry.

1. http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m237/pillowshade/Mating006-1.jpg

2. http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m237/pillowshade/Mating009.jpg

3. http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m237/pillowshade/Mating008.jpg

4. http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m237/pillowshade/Mating007.jpg

You can see the male has a  bald spot on his head, he get's that when he becomes mature, it's a scent gland, that's an easy way to tell which one is the male or female. Males have three scent glands, one on their head, one on their chest and one by their bum, females only have two, one on their chest and bum.

I can't wait to hear 0zzy's jokes about the pics
tounge.gif

wink.gif.gif

Thats hot.

Lol seriously they are adorable!

Back