What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My gliders finally did it!

LMAO!!! You sound like Paris Hilton JLAP
laugh.gif

I am Paris Hilton. Like OMG it's my secret. Clint is my alternate Identity.

Like I gtg guys! Britney and I are meeting at my daddy's hotel.

Outsider the reason alot of people have not heard of sugar gliders is because they are illegal in many states. I know here in GA they are illegal, but I still might get one anyway. Provided my wife allows it and I can find someone willing to sell to me.
tounge.gif

You might have to smuggle them across the boarder.

In the spirit of following the law,atleast publicly, i've got to say that I don't condone such behavior.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Dec. 12 2006,10:43)]Outsider the reason alot of people have not heard of sugar gliders is because they are illegal in many states. I know here in GA they are illegal, but I still might get one anyway. Provided my wife allows it and I can find someone willing to sell to me.
tounge.gif
Where is the state ban listing? I wonder if it is legal in OH?

I guess they are legal in OHIO. I just got off the phone with a sugar glider rescue place in Medina, which is about 20min south of me. They have a baby pair coming in from Columbus which will be able to be adopted after Christmas. $50 deposit to claim a baby, then another $75 for adoption ($125 each). It would be best to get both if I were to do this correct? I was warned to nuder the males if there's a female involved and to prevent some odor. Nudering runs $65. Then I need to get a finch/parakeet flight cage.

I need to start saving
biggrin.gif

You live in Ohio!?

whooho!!! what part? if you get them I would probably have to go see them cause I've never seen sugar gliders before! Just pictures!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Dec. 12 2006,11:37)]I guess they are legal in OHIO.  I just got off the phone with a sugar glider rescue place in Medina, which is about 20min south of me.  They have a baby pair coming in from Columbus which will be able to be adopted after Christmas.  $50 deposit to claim a baby, then another $75 for adoption ($125 each).  It would be best to get both if I were to do this correct?  I was warned to nuder the males if there's a female involved and to prevent some odor.  Nudering runs $65.  Then I need to get a finch/parakeet flight cage.

I need to start saving
biggrin.gif
That's great that you are rescuing some
smile.gif
Yup I had to put down $50 deposit and then pay the rest when I got her. Getting two is the best way to go, and neutering the male is also a good idea unless you want babies. But you need a USDA liscense to do that. I didn't get a flight cage, like I said I have a large parrot cage which I got for $100, it was used but in great condition. It would have been much higher in price (even though used) but the pet store was closing, so we got lucky. It's also easier to get two cause then later on you would have to introduce the newcomer to the older one and some gliders don't always get along. I was lucky when it came to that as well. I get 100 mealworms every two weeks so that's not expensive, less than $5, then just make sure to have fresh fruit and veggies on hand all the time. Make sure to read up on what they can and can't have, not all fruit/veggies are good for gliders. Then you need to put them on a special diet that you can either buy or make yourself, there a lots out there, I like the BML diet, my gliders have always liked it and there are very healthy! Make sure you have enough time to bond with your little ones, like I said they can get mean if they don't know you. Some women put the glider(s) in their bra and keep them in there all day (they're nocturnal) and this way they get to know the persons scent, I did this it was neat. Or you could also put a t-shirt into their pouch where they sleep so they can smell you. Gliders do not go potty where they sleep so I didn't have any poopies or peepee's in my bra
tounge.gif
They love to run in wheels, I started out with a hamster wheel but now have something called a silent wheel, I heard the best thing to have is a Wodent Wheel. Don't forget to buy/make a pouch for them to sleep in which has to be placed high up in the cage. I put real sticks in my cage for them to crawl on and jump on, just make sure it's not a poisonous tree to the glider. Mine also have a seperate play cage, it's a black reptarium (sp?) and it's a 64 gallon one, it's made out of mesh and it's used for Chameleons. They love it cause they can hang onto the sides and upside down cause they can get their claws in the holes without getting caught up in it. I also heard getting a small tent is a good idea to start the bonding process, it's called tent time, you go in there with your gliders and let them crawl around, glide, whatever and let them come to you, don't force them, this really does work. I use aspen shavings on the bottom of their cage, don't use cedar or pine, it's not good for them to breathe it in, aspen is very safe. If you have ANY questions feel free to pm me, I will do my best to help you out. BTW if you get them neutered for $65 that's a good price, some vets go as high as $130. Keep in touch I'd like to know how it works out for you!

-Niki-

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Dec. 12 2006,10:05)]Where is the state ban listing? I wonder if it is legal in OH?
I believe it has something to do with "exotic pets." I know when I was looking into getting some I discovered (by word of mouth so this could be wrong - don't quote me or I'll call you a liar!) that Kansas does not allow the sale of such pets. However, I believe in Missouri you can purchase or sell Sugar Gliders.

You may have also heard of them called flying squirrels. This may just be a misconception but I know a lot of people do call them flying squirrels instead of sugar gliders. Perhaps Trapper could clear this up?

xvart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xvart @ Dec. 12 2006,3:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ Dec. 12 2006,10:05)]Where is the state ban listing? I wonder if it is legal in OH?
I believe it has something to do with "exotic pets." I know when I was looking into getting some I discovered (by word of mouth so this could be wrong - don't quote me or I'll call you a liar!) that Kansas does not allow the sale of such pets. However, I believe in Missouri you can purchase or sell Sugar Gliders.

You may have also heard of them called flying squirrels. This may just be a misconception but I know a lot of people do call them flying squirrels instead of sugar gliders. Perhaps Trapper could clear this up?

xvart.
Flying squirrels are completely different animals. Sugar Gliders are Marsupials.

Exactly, flying squirrels are totally different.

Ok this is the third time I forgot to say something, they also need to be on a pellet diet along with everything else I mentioned, I give mine Eucalyptus pellets.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 12 2006,10:34)]I am Paris Hilton. Like OMG it's my secret. Clint is my alternate Identity.

I hope Britney wears underwear this time!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ Dec. 12 2006,4:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 12 2006,10:34)]I am Paris Hilton. Like OMG it's my secret. Clint is my alternate Identity.

I hope Britney wears underwear this time!
I thought she wear nonederwear.
rock.gif

Travis, are those like invisible underwear?

Yes, it is a special brand. I sugjest no zippers...but Britney would not have that problem. Please, do not let me have to explain it any more.

Britney and I go commando. That's hot.

We don't wear underwear. Neither do Gliders.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 12 2006,4:57)]Britney and I go commando. That's hot.

We don't wear underwear. Neither do Gliders.
Is it called commando when a girl doesn't wear underwear?
oh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I hope Britney wears underwear this time!

I sure hope she don't. The internet is sooooo great.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Some women put the glider(s) in their bra and keep them in there all day (they're nocturnal) and this way they get to know the persons scent, I did this it was neat.

I know Fl. has to have a animal cruelty law. Something has to be done about this, These animals just can't be put through that tourture any longer. We have to call the APL or PETA or somebody.

This is worse than anything I have ever seen on that animal cops show.

angry.gif

laugh.gif

Back