What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm just curious...

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
I know there are several people here who are into geocaching...Ozzy and Elgecko to name a couple.  I was just curious to see if there were any others here are geocachers.

I am trying my hand at it although ever since I got my GPSr, I haven't had much time to go hunting.  I have found a grand total of 3 caches...2 micros and one regular.  There are 3 others that have eluded me.  I am hoping once I emerge out of hell, I will have a little more time to devote to it.

For those who aren't familiar, geocaching is like a worldwide treasure hunt.  People hide what's called a cache which can be really tiny (micro) or a larger container often holding "treasure" (anything you want to put in...small toys, gift cards, coins, pens, etc.).  You post the coordinates on a website and then people use their GPSr's to hunt for the cache.  Once found, you leave the cache in place as you found it, sign a log book and then post online that you've found it.  You can take an item out of a cache and/or leave an item.  There are Travel Bugs and Geocoins you can place that can be moved from cache to cache and are trackable so you know where its been.  Its a great way to get some exercise and see areas you've never seen.  I've found a couple of parks I didn't know about and some historical areas.  I'm looking forward to more caching in the future.

Anyone else here go geocaching?

Geocaching is pretty cool. I look for cp's and reptiles while look for geocaches. I like the hard way out in the middle of nowhere ones. I even put one out to show people a great cp site. Travel bugs are cool too. Here is the best one of them all.

22c603e5-3776-4438-88bb-ab30dfab9f3c.jpg

Never tried it, never heard of it...

But it sounds like tons of fun!!!!
oh.gif

Ive wanted to do it since I think ozzy posted about it in mid summer... never had money for a GPS maybe once im 40 I will be able to do it... lol cause then ill have money

Find a geocacher in your area, and befriend him. Geocachers loves company.

Just like another one of my favorite activies, it's fun by yourself but it's way more fun when you have a partner.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Dec. 11 2006,5:01)]Just like another one of my favorite activies, it's fun by yourself but it's way more fun when you have a partner.
That way you have company when you get lost
jestera.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just like another one of my favorite activies, it's fun by yourself but it's way more fun when you have a partner.

What's the other activity??
rock.gif

It IS fun! Just imagine a big treasure hunt! You never know where you're going or what you'll find.
smile.gif
Its good exercise in the good ol' outdoors.

Some people do geocaching without a GPSr. While having a GPSr makes it a little easier, some caches you can find using Google Earth and/or the clues provided in the description of the cache location. The GPSr will put you close to a cache...but you still have to LOOK. So if you can get near it using Google and clues...just go look!

If you go to www.geocaching.com, you can enter your zip code and see all the caches hidden in your area. There are bunches within just a few miles of my house. So plenty to keep me busy while I gain some experience.

I wish I had a caching partner. I joined a local Yahoo group for caching so I hope I'll meet someone, preferably a newbie like me, who will go out hunting with me. It would definitely be more fun sharing the experience. I have one friend who's semi interested but she's a tad lazy sooo...I want someone who's ready and willing for adventure.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What's the other activity??
rock.gif

Catching snakes. What else could I be talking about?

Well lets see...wrecking trains, falling through ceilings, falling in bogs, climbing fire towers at night, getting stuck in mud in bad neighborhoods, being chased by cops.... Pick one.
laugh.gif

EDIT:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]getting stuck in mud in bad neighborhoods

Three times

All of those are more fun with a buddy.

By the way, you left out causing an explosion in a walmart, getting thrown out of jail, getting shot in the chest with a 9mm, running from what we thought was an helicopter just after breaking into and climbing a state police radio tower, breaking into an FBI office to make long distance phone calls, getting chased out of the woods by a growing list of creatures, being chased out of a campground by a drunk driving a golf cart while I'm looking for a geocache, paddleing down a river during a thunderstorm in an metal canoe.............

It's getting late and I have to get to bed. I'll finish this list tomorrow.

That's it?? No other cachers here? I'm surprised.

As you stated, I sure do cache.
This time of year stinks for me. I'd like to go out hiking and caching but there are too many hunter in the woods.
Really the only safe time to go is on Sundays, but that's when footballs on.

I think I'm about to become a cacher...thanks to you Suzanne.
I looked at that website and it sounds interesting.
I am about to buy a hand held GPS.
I want to find BURIED TREASURE, GOLD, DIAMONDS, EMERALDS AND RUBIES.

Yay! A convert! I hope lots of people here will try it...even without a GPSr. Many people start out without one but end up getting addicted and buy one.
smile.gif

Sadly it sounds like something for those who live in areas wth denser populatons
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Dec. 13 2006,2:38)]Sadly it sounds like something for those who live in areas wth denser populatons
sad.gif
Did you go to the Geocaching website and enter your zip code in the "seek a cache" to see how many were in your area?
Geocaching seek page

You'd be surprised! There are caches hidden everywhere. Big cities, little towns, big parks, little parks, shopping centers, rural areas, historical areas, parking lots, around in cities...you might even find a micro cache on a stop sign.
smile.gif
There are easy ones you can "dash and cache", wheel-chair accessible ones, hard ones that you might have to canoe or rock climb, caches oriented for children...every degree of easiness or difficulty. Big caches, little caches. The variety is limited only by the owner's (hider) imagination!

I am trying to come up with a cleverly camoflauged container. I want my first hide to be a reasonable challenge and not boring.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Dec. 13 2006,12:38)]Sadly it sounds like something for those who live in areas wth denser populatons
sad.gif
You don't have to be dense to geocache. Though depending on who your partner is, it might be a good idea.
laugh.gif

As PAK said they can be anywhere. City parks, biking trails, or out in the boonies in some far corner of a state park. Basically anywhere a person can go, you can find or create a geocache.

I checked, there are hundreds if not thousands of geocaches in SD.

OH man! I want a GPS system sooo bad, gonna have to get one eventualy! I would love to "convert" lol

Back