Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm just curious...

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know there are several people here who are into geocaching...Ozzy and Elgecko to name a couple. I was just curious to see if there were any others here are geocachers.

I am trying my hand at it although ever since I got my GPSr, I haven't had much time to go hunting. I have found a grand total of 3 caches...2 micros and one regular. There are 3 others that have eluded me. I am hoping once I emerge out of hell, I will have a little more time to devote to it.

For those who aren't familiar, geocaching is like a worldwide treasure hunt. People hide what's called a cache which can be really tiny (micro) or a larger container often holding "treasure" (anything you want to put in...small toys, gift cards, coins, pens, etc.). You post the coordinates on a website and then people use their GPSr's to hunt for the cache. Once found, you leave the cache in place as you found it, sign a log book and then post online that you've found it. You can take an item out of a cache and/or leave an item. There are Travel Bugs and Geocoins you can place that can be moved from cache to cache and are trackable so you know where its been. Its a great way to get some exercise and see areas you've never seen. I've found a couple of parks I didn't know about and some historical areas. I'm looking forward to more caching in the future.

Anyone else here go geocaching?

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geocaching is pretty cool. I look for cp's and reptiles while look for geocaches. I like the hard way out in the middle of nowhere ones. I even put one out to show people a great cp site. Travel bugs are cool too. Here is the best one of them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never tried it, never heard of it...

But it sounds like tons of fun!!!!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive wanted to do it since I think ozzy posted about it in mid summer... never had money for a GPS maybe once im 40 I will be able to do it... lol cause then ill have money

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a geocacher in your area, and befriend him. Geocachers loves company.

Just like another one of my favorite activies, it's fun by yourself but it's way more fun when you have a partner.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Dec. 11 2006,5:01)]Just like another one of my favorite activies, it's fun by yourself but it's way more fun when you have a partner.
    That way you have company when you get lost
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Just like another one of my favorite activies, it's fun by yourself but it's way more fun when you have a partner.
    What's the other activity??

It IS fun! Just imagine a big treasure hunt! You never know where you're going or what you'll find. Its good exercise in the good ol' outdoors.

Some people do geocaching without a GPSr. While having a GPSr makes it a little easier, some caches you can find using Google Earth and/or the clues provided in the description of the cache location. The GPSr will put you close to a cache...but you still have to LOOK. So if you can get near it using Google and clues...just go look!

If you go to www.geocaching.com, you can enter your zip code and see all the caches hidden in your area. There are bunches within just a few miles of my house. So plenty to keep me busy while I gain some experience.

I wish I had a caching partner. I joined a local Yahoo group for caching so I hope I'll meet someone, preferably a newbie like me, who will go out hunting with me. It would definitely be more fun sharing the experience. I have one friend who's semi interested but she's a tad lazy sooo...I want someone who's ready and willing for adventure.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]What's the other activity??
    Catching snakes. What else could I be talking about?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast