User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your best method for studying?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally learn good study habits when I was a junior in college. I'm NOT one of those people who could avoid classes until exam time. Nor am I adept at allnighters or reading chapter after chapter.

What I found most effective (at least for me), was to read my classnotes in those 10 and 15 minute intervals befor and after classes. Whenever I set aside 2 or 3 hour block times to study, the time gets frittered away. Another thing that happens is that the attention span goes away after the first 15 minutes / half hour. I can read the words, but by then, I'm off if fantasyland - football.... the girl I'd like to date.... music..... But there were a whole mess of 10 & 15 minute times that otherwise would get wasted. So whenever I had them throughout the course of the day, I'd read. That way I got constant repetition when my attention span was at my best. By the time the exams came around - I was ready. And I didn't forget the material the day after. And I even retained a lot of it for the finals. I didn't have to mess up my sleep and believe it or not, I still had plenty of fun time, for chess, ping-pong, tennis, football, Scrabble....

Oh yeah, I also wrote out a daily schedule. Not that any day went exactly as I planned it... but it was a good useful tool that ensured that no class, exam, meeting, got missed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah! I just finished my Biology Lab Practical!
    I reviewed until 11PM went to bed, reviewed for an hour and a half before lab started, and drank a diet pepsi. I think I did pretty well. The starfish anatomy really killed me though (stupid tube-feet and ambulacral groove!).
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm not normally a caffiene junkie but i have to say, in a pinch, it's some goooood stuff. but as somebody already said, it's better to take a test in the same state you studied in.. i wouldn't *really* recommend alcohol (as my psych professor put it... "Yeah, you'd do better taking the test drunk if you studied drunk, but it'd be a difference of getting 2 questions right out of 10 instead of 1") but it is a real phenomenon and it applies to caffiene. so if you're up and caffienated all night, make sure you grab some Starbucks before the test (totally downed about 4 bottled frappucinos last night panicking over animal physiology). studying wise, no matter what the topic, reread your notes/text then work through problems and practice questions; they help cement the info in your mind like nothing else. and for rote memorization stuff, flashcards are a must. if you ever had to/have to take organic chemistry, you know what i mean.
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caffeine and theobromine really do help you concentrate.

Some people take Alzheimer's medication (i'm not making this up) to make them concentrate better and get an edge in the corporate world. A study (read it in mens health a while ago) found that a 400-600 Mg dose of caffeine was as good as a dose of Alzheimer's medication.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heheheh also of note: theobromine = major component of CHOCOLATE
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123