Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: House cats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my mom left orange peels around her plants to ward off my half-sister's kitten. apparently cats really don't like citrus. (lemon might work well, too.) I think she said it worked, for a few weeks at least. After that, either the peels lost their smell, or the kitten just didn't care anymore..
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our plant-eating cat was relentless. A couple times she even jumped up to grab onto a hanging pot to get a couple chews before dropping off. Bitter apple was useless, as was every other concoction I tried. So, other than for the few plants she wouldn't touch (mostly the ones I don't like either), all plants had to either be shielded or otherwise inaccessible. She died a year ago and I miss her, but not her evil ways.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had a good remedy against cats.. My cat got hold of my tiny N. spectabilis over Thanksgiving weekend and destroyed it. The only remedy that I have found effective so far is to keep them enclosed where she cant get to them.

There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guys, for all the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Bitter apple is mostly alchohol so as long as alcohol won't hurt the plants, I guess its worth a try. OR cayenne pepper which I doubt would hurt plants.
    I'll see if I can find this and give it a try.

Quote[/b] ]Distract him with catnip and lemon grass. He'll love that way better than sundews (then hwarf it up on the carpet, but, hey), but thats not teaching the cat not to eat plants, just eat the tasty ones....
    For some reason I just don't think it will work. I have the feeling I'd find the catnip and my Drosera gone. You know, kinda like how you'll go for that juicy steak, but have no problem nibbling on your salad beforehand.

We actually already have a rather large catnip/catmint garden in the back of our house, but it died off over a month ago now.

Quote[/b] ]Worst comes to worst you could always screen the plants off from the cat
    I really like having my plants in the bay window, and I really like being able to display them. I can't build anything like this in that window, and I don't think I'd want a screened off area anywhere that they could be easily displayed. But I guess if it comes down to it...

Quote[/b] ]Had a problem with my cat going in the garbage - got something called a "skat cat mat." I got the one that's 4' x 2' (largest size). It's basically an electric fense - if they step on it, they get a shock.
    That's absolutely hilarious, and would actually be really helpful for an unrelated problem with Oscar as well. I'll definitely do a Google search for that.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Dec. 13 2006,1:48)]Hi there,

Had a problem with my cat going in the garbage - got something called a "skat cat mat." I got the one that's 4' x 2' (largest size). It's basically an electric fense - if they step on it, they get a shock.

The first time they jump up on whatever, and get that first shock, boy you wish you have your video camera!
    Reminds me of the time my mom had me rig up my electric fence charger to keep her dog (a standard size dachshund) from hopping up on the dining table when nobody was around. Hooked the clips up to a couple pieces of metal door screen. Set one screen on a chair that was pulled out a convienient distance and another on the table with a donut (his favorite item to steal) just far enough from the edge that he had to put his paws on the screen to get it. She said that when she got home, he wouldn't even come over to the table to beg for scraps. That lasted about 3 months before he was at it again.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12