What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any of worthless plant nuts a dentist?

If your gums get raw and bleed after brushing they are not healthy or you're brushing too hard or a combination of both.

Get a softer toothbrush. They come in many grades, get the softest you can find. And obviously don't scrub as hard.

Get a "gum stimulator" - one of those little reddish rubber cones either on the end of the toothbrush handle or a stand-alone job. Massage your gums with this according to the instructions on the package.

Rinse your mouth with warm salt water after brushing. This will both help heal the rawness and toughen your gums up.

As for your wisdom teeth what kind angle are you talking about? Are they pointing to the front of your mouth so that they are "impacting" the molars before them or are they angling towards your cheeks or tongue. If it's the first they have to go. Otherwise they may or may not have to go but could cause problems later on (such as constantly biting your cheeks or tongue) or making it difficult to brush back there and the molars start to decay.

angled towards the cheeks a bit.........not to badly though...........but with the wife having to get hers pulled it was more of a out of curiosity question. i doubt it will cause a problem. did a bit when they first errupted, they cut up my cheek a bit when i slept on my side but after a month my cheeks toughened up and it hasnt been a problem for a long time. also curious as to why i only have 3, the one on the lower left never came in and it doesnt feel like their is anything going to come up there, its just an empty space.

It's possible you just don't have a molar there. Or it is just taking longer to erupt than the others. Or it is at such an angle it hasn't broken through the gum yet. The first case is unusual but not unheard of. Only a x-ray can tell for sure.

As far as biting your cheek, as you age the muscles in your face sag and biting can become a problem again. Deal with it if and when it happens.

I had one impacted molar, lower right that had to go, the upper right was angled out towards the cheek slightly and the left pair was perfectly fine. About six years later the upper right started digging into my cheek and only got worse and worse so it had to go. About 20 years after getting the first one yanked, the left pair was starting to decay because it was so hard to brush them properly, even with a little third molar brush so they had to go.

Actually I'm a lot happier without them because the did add pressure to the rest of the teeth on the left side which caused some nerve pain and made it next to impossible to get floss in-between the teeth at times.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I now have insurance that pays all but ~$20 of the visit.
What insurance might that be??? I haven't seen a dental plan yet that is worth the paper it's written on
sad.gif

The insurance pays less and less as I get more and more irresponsible. So it pays a high % of a 6 month visit, less of a filling, and still less of a crown. So the more I need the insurance, the less it pays. And that's working for the state, with better benefits than most people get.

Rattler, I find it odd that no one has suggested you get a soft-bristled tooth brush.

I used to have gum bleeding, but after my new dentist tsk tsked at me, and told me I should use a softer brush, the problem went away.

Also, NO SPINACH BEFORE BRUSHING, POPEYE!
laugh.gif

Your gums have bled since childhood, most likely, because they simply haven't been healthy.....ever. I would wager that more attention to your oral health will, in the long run, greatly reduce or eliminate the problem.

And please listed to the doc! She may be a witch, but she certainly know more about oral health than you or I, so I would do what she says. Heck, if she's completely mistaken, what the worst that can happen? Ten days with no beer? You'll live, man.

lol schloaty, i is taking the antibiotics..............back to brushing my teeth(figure if im taking antibiotics the sore wont have a chance since its caused by bacteria) however im not going back to the local witch doc and the wife is making me an appointment at another one

Ugh.  What a timely topic.  I just went through the second stage of a root canal yesterday.  I've had one before but this one has been brutal!  I guess its because its a molar.  The first appointment I had like 12-13 needles of novacaine during the removal of the nerve.  I thought it would NEVER end.  I had to take antibiotics for a while. Yesterday I THOUGHT I was getting the second stage which was just a filling.  Then I find out the root canal wasn't finished.  More novacaine, more pain as he sawed little needle-like files through the root canals.  Then I find out my canals are too narrow so now he's going to have to use some special tool to widen the canals so I have to have an additinal appointment for that. THEN I get the filling and then I have to have the crown put on.  
sad.gif
And its costing me a freakin' fortune and I have dental insurance. The past two months there's been nothing but major financial disasters for me. I'm wondering when its going to end...

If you floss regularly, your gums won't bleed.  They will at first if you haven't been doing it but then they stop.  Flossing is a pain but it does help your teeth and gums a lot.

Good luck...teeth stuff sucks.

I hate braces its imposible to floss and the doc gets mad at me, w/e though once my braces come off im gonna be brushing 10 times better and flossing alot more.

hope youre guy's teeth problems go away.

Back