What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any of worthless plant nuts a dentist?

sign_help.gif
ive got some questions after seeing the local gal, she seemed to dang busy to answer my questions and kept cutting me off..................kinda remined me why i dont go to dentists

Just post your questions and I'm sure a few correct answers will be included among all the responses.  That's the power of the internet.

I went from 22 to 29 (or so) without seeing a dentist.  I had maybe 4 cavities when I finally went again, but I also had a cracked molar that could have been found much sooner.  It took quite a filling then, followed by a root canal several years later.  Even if your dentist is mostly useless, go at least once per year (especially if you can find a better dentist).  I go twice a year now because bad tooth enamel runs in my family and I now have insurance that pays all but ~$20 of the visit.

basically..................4 years ago cracked a molar without knowing it, though the day it fell apart(6 months later) i knew the exact moment it had happened. anyways, being as i hate docs fooling with me and figured they would just yank the tooth(its about 1/2 gone above the gumline) and since there was no pain involved i said screw it and kept trucking along.

well since we now have health insurance that includes dental and the fact the wife needed wisdom teeth pulled and didnt want to go through hell herself she sent me to the local dentist to get something done about the tooth(she went to an oral surgoen 100 miles away)............

anyways local quack takes one look at my tooth, tweaks out, says i need antibiotics right away cause there is a granulnoma growing, and i need a root cannal immediatly but after an x-ray she says she cant do it and ill need to go out of town.........but she can do a crown afterwards. she asks how much it bugs me and i say it never hurts which evidently she didnt believe cause she perscribed me some 800mg ibuprophin for the pain along with the antibiotic.

now this granulnoma, i think shes nuts as its been their since day one that it was exposed and has actually shrunk over the last year, im pretty dang sure its just whats left of the nerve and blood supply to the tooth. i dont want to be taking antibiotics for nothing. not to mention she says its infected and i pretty dang sure it isnt cause #1 there is no bad taste in my mouth and #2 there is no pain or swelling or heat that would indicate there is an infection

reason 2 she torqued me off is he started lecturing me about my dental hygene habits and refused to let me get a word in edge wise. i know my problem isnt as bad as she says it is cause i can make all the plaque go away in less than a week. my problem is, and what she refused to listen to is that my gums bleed heavily after i brush my teeth and with in a week after i start brushing on a normal schedule again i get one big canker type sore along my gum line and i cant eat much due to the pain for 7-10 days let alone brush my teeth..........

so i think im going to can the antibiotics for now and drive the 100 miles one way to a different dentist, but would like to get a second oopinion on the likely hood as to weither she knows what she is talking about......

My tooth didn't hurt before the root canal because all the nerves had died.  But it got infected somehow and the infection would have attacked jawbone eventually.  I didn't know it was infected and don't remember it having a taste either.  But it swelled a little sometimes.  Even though there wasn't even the slightest pain, everyone wanted to prescribe painkillers for me too after figuring out I needed a root canal.  Most people have a lot of pain before they finally get the root canal and supposedly a lack of pain means the tooth is in worse shape.  As for the bleeding gum thing, go gentle and don't try to do six months of cleaning in one week.  You've got to get that problem under control and, if she hits you with that attitude, find someone else.  I travel ten miles to my dentist and, converting CT miles to MT miles, that means you should be willing to go 100 to find a good one.  Mine is great with children and that's what I need in a dentist because dentists have traumatized me my whole life.

find it odd that there hasnt been pain from day one...that mean the nerves died long before the tooth even cracked

BTW takes very lil to get my gums to bleed and they have never seemed to toughen up. even when i was younger and more religious bout brushing my teeth....

already told the wife i would rather go to the guy i went to the last time, which is a 100 mile drive one way but is more interested in addressing the problem your there for and doesnt lecture.......will get teh antibiotic script filled tomorrow and make an appointment on Monday for the other guy........

Gums don't toughen up. With better care, the inflamation goes away and they stop bleeding. Find a dentist you can trust and follow the directions. It'll take a little time to get everything back to normal, but it's worth it.

I feel your pain (or rather lack thereof). On one side of my mouth i need a root canal (the doc says) because the slighest pressure (like peanuts) hurts, and on the other i can't have food that's too hot or cold. I've just learned to chew on either side depending on the food. I've went from regular fillings to the fancy kind to eliminate the coldness and heat problem, and that's when the pressure problem started. It seems the dentist made problems that weren't there. He even ground down my two back teeth on the right side so they don't touch when my mouth closes. That did nothing to help and now i've lost the grinding abilities on that side.

Atleast the No2 was nice
smile.gif

at least you guys dont have braces! every month! or two weeks!

mad.gif

My gums used to bleed like that too untill I went and had the "deep cleaning" done. Basicly they go in and scrape all the calculus out from under the gums. It takes 2 sessions of about an hour or so each but believe me it is worth it. The difference that made in the health of my gums was almost magical. It took a day or 2 for them to heal from the treatment, but they went from permanently red and inflamed, to pink and healthy as soon as they healed. I no longer bleed AT ALL when I either brush or floss. If you have the insurance go get that stuff taken care of it is definately worth the effort.

Cheers
Steve

Gums bleed when you have gingavitis. Inflimation of the gums. Teeth need to be cleaned twice a year for good teeth health. I am religious about brushing and getting my teeth cleaned. I do nto floss like I should thoug. Maybe once a month or when I get food in my teeth that I can feel. I do however brush at min 2 times a day and sometimes more. The last time I went I didnt have much plaque on my teeth and was complimented on how much better I have been flossing. He he he

Most people do not realize it, but good oral health means better overall health. Bad oral health can lead to may other problems.

TAKE YOUR ANTI-BIOTICS!!!! My mother-in-law has to take anti-biotics whenever she gets her teeth cleaned because of a bad mitral valve in her heart. It is not going to hurt you. Take them. It is not like your taking anti-biotics all the time.

You just have to brush though the bleeding gums untill you get the gingavitis under control bro. get the good cleanin and start brushing atleast 2 times a day. When you get up and before you go to bed. Those are the most critical times. When your asleep you dont have the sliva production and germs fester more. So removing the bugs when brushing before you go to bed helps, and you will not have such dragon breath i the morning. Also you may not be tasteing the infection the doc says you have because it came on slowly and your used to it. Most people do not know they have bad breath because you live with it anc cannot smell your own breath very well. Unless it is a dramatic change from the norm. You get used to it in other words. The Doc might have smelled it right away.

I had to get two cleanings done when I started going back to the dentist becaue I has so much buildup, but I never had bleeding issues so I wasn't to bad. I had issues with bleeding when I was younger though.

So come on bro I bet she was just saying some things you did not want to hear and it sounded worse than it realy was. then again some docs see so many patients that have bad oral hygene that they are fed up with telling people the same thing only for it to do no good. I dunno her situation.

This post was nto ment to slam, degrade or any of that bro. I am glad you are addressing the issue, and you will be alot happier once you get it fixed up. You could just be alot healthier to boot.

Oh almost forgot Crest oral health mouthwash is wonderful too. Doesn't burn and kills alot of bugs. It is great to help reduce the need for flossing. Personaly I HATE flossing.

What's flossing?

well flossing is when you take a piece of wax coated string and you run it between your teeth until they bleed. duh!
tounge.gif

didn't you know that?
slap.gif

What's brushing? And what are teeth?

Teeth are little light colored stones that are in your mouth, and brushing is when you sweep all of the wetted dust off of them so that more of it can collect on them.

Geeze on't you guys know anything!?!
slap.gif
slap.gif

So its kind of like if I would clean off that one book of Shake Spear up in my shelf?

But in my mouth? What an odd concept.

Yep Exactly! But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it.

my gums arent red and inflamed.....they are a nice healthy pink, until i brush them then along my teeth get raw and bloody and start looking like crap.

and your right i know i should brush and i had no issue with the dentist saying so but she was so busy lecturing and trying to kick me out of the office(why i dont know, there was no one in the other exam room or the waiting room and it was 2 in the afternoon) that i couldnt get a word in edge wise. i had a half dozen questions for her about my wisdom teeth and other things but she wouldnt give me a chance to ask, prefering to lecture me that lack of brushing is the cause of every one of my problems. which doesnt answer weither the fact that are my wisdom teeth potential problems(i only have 3, and the top two are at slight angles but no pressure or pain so can i just forget about them??) but she wouldnt let me ask that............also wanted to ask if its possible that i have no nerves in any of my teeth cause when i was younger, round 8 or so, i managed to pull out one of my first adult teeth, but there was zero pain and i didnt even notice it till my mouth filled with blood. but like i said she wouldnt let me ask a dang question..........

LOL farmer dave thats hilarious
laugh.gif

Back