What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My word is it to much to ask....

Lmao, what topic?

Well the way it was stated finch it was a stab at my work ethics, and that is how I took it.  Who else do you know that is up at the hours I post and posts without a good reason?  And posts not just sometimes at those hours, but alot of times.  So instead of saying "Why should you be in a chat room at work? " It should have been asked.  What kind of job do yo do where you can go into a chat room at work?  Then I would have just answered with out anger involved, but the way it was stated just errked me. Then you agreed with his exact quote Finch and neither one of you knows what I do as a job.  Even though I am sure I have posted it a time or two.  Soo it is all in how things are said and when you just agreed and quoted what he said I got doubly POed and posted what I did.  I am VERY good at what I do, and can work circles around many of the techs I work with.  When I work, I work hard.  When there is a patients life involved I do my best to keep things sterile and make sure I am one step ahead of the Doc so we can get things done.

After I told my wife about what has been going on in this thread she brought up a valid point.  Me getting on the forum at work has nothing to do with the price of tea in china.  So before the Mods start scolding people for bringing topics off course they best learn not to do it themselves.  This thread was about having a place for rabbling chitchat and it got onto the subject of me getting on the forum at work.  Brought there by a Mod no less.

I could never do it.. I'd be afraid i'd puke in the body
sad.gif

I NEVER want to cut on people unless I have to. You've got more guts than me, pun intended hahaha

That is a VERY good observation on how this thread changed subjects via a Mod.

I don't see what the big deal is. So what if a thread goes OT? If the poster doesn't mine then what's the problem? I mean I know the mods have a job to do but it's not really hurting anyone. Why not have just one big sticky off topic thread and once it gets big enough, delete the thread and start a new one. I know that'll never happen but it's just an idea.

As a sidenote, I won't ever complain if my threads go OT. I encourage free discussion.

No one knows whats going on or what you should be doing better than you! Especially here, online! No one reads all the topics, so its always best to assume that no, we don’t know what you do. You are thinking by that quote that because I agree, I think you’re a bad worker. That’s a connection that does not exist in my book. Because I agree with it doesn’t mean I think otherwise. It doent mean anything beyond that I agree! You assumed the rest. I don’t know how you work, how could i? So please tell me why I would assume that because you can go online at work, means you don’t do a good job. When I saw you mention that, I thought “fireman” or emergency person on stand-by, or perhaps someone on lunch break. Im sorry you were offended, and I can see why you reacted the way you did but I DID NOT MEAN IT LIKE THAT. I cant speak for NepG, but I don’t think he meant it like that either. It was not a stab at your work ethics. I would know. I wrote my reply.

You made some good points JB.  But at times, when things go off topic, there can be a tendency toward flame wars starting, and that is typically when mods get involved.  I also believe it is not just disrepectful to the originator of the topic , but to other forum members who have to sort and sift through OT stuff when they open a topic to read...well, I guess, the topic.  Also, you can't just assume that when you go off topic, the orginator does not have a problem with it.  They may and not want to raise the issue.  This is irrelevant to mods getting involved because we have to look out for the interests of all members.  And again, the main thing is for people to be nice.  Things do tend to stray once in awhile and that's not always bad (and sometimes quite entertaining).  As for mods splitting topics, I personally don't have the time for that.  This is not my full time job.  It would take considerable time and some topics go in many directions.  Is it too much to ask to think before we post and try to stay on topic?  And if you want to start a different one, by all means, you are all free to do so.

As for using the forum for chit chat IM type of conversations, I'm also not sure of the bandwidth, and maybe Andrew can answer that.  We certainly can have friendly banter at times within a topic, but I agree with those who point out that IM or chat rooms are the place for that if the topic is no longer being discussed.  Just my opinions of course...

And shame on you Nep G for going off topic!
laugh.gif

I was not talking about threads straying off topic. I would love for threads to stay on topic. When I go in to read a thread I expect to read what the topic is about and not have 3 pages in a 12 page thread be of BS. That has heppened many times.

The thing I was talking about was Farmer Daves thread titles "I'm bored" He was trying to get a conversation started to give him something to do. He just didn't know where to start it I am sure, and could care less of what to talk about. But the thread was locked because it was a "threads which just ramble on about nothing".

I was mainly asking for either a little section/area say a section titled "Random stuff" or something. I liked the idea JLAP had. A stickied thread that could be used for random conversation. Just remember what might be useless to you has meaning to someone else. Just like one person's trash is another mans treasure. Just because you think it is useless doesn;t mean it isn't for the other person.

I'm not sure what bandwidth really has to do with it... We could be skirting on the edge of the allowable or how 17 times what we use available I don't see why it needs to be used up on such things. I don't have those numbers so I can't say either way.

As far as "acceptable" topics and replies... Our system has worked for years and I don't see any reason to change it. I have another forum that I visit that has these topics that are completely random and their purpose (although some times maybe a little funny
rock.gif
) Is simply to raise their post count. Then even talk about it... "Look at me! I have 72K posts now!" Big deal I say. It's been said before, you should look at your post quality not quantity. There is something to be said about replies that are just smilies or "cool"... We've covered all of this before, it's nothing new. Also, I don't feel like reading though hundreds of new posts to a topic like that every day to make sure everyone is being nice. And don't say someone will use the "report this post" feature. They simply don't.
As far as Farmer Dave's topic... I can see why Alexis shut it down. It had no aim. No where to go. One "I'm bored" thread can quickly turn into 30 "I'm bored" threads.
What about Nep_ak's topic "What boredom is" at least it started somewhere... Sure it went off topic BUT, I doubt his picture is a topic that someone will go in to read, and be upset it is no longer about his picture (other than him, and I don't see him complaining) and the topic has evolved into a discussion, one where people are writing long responses, and talking about something. Heck, if he wanted a mod to edit to topic to move it to the new discussion to bring in more people, we could do that too.
But the other topic:
I'm bored
me too
what do you want to do?
I dunno, what do you want to do?
I dunno a rooster woke me
Had no where to go... And who knows how long it would stay that way. Make a topic with a reason to bring discussion to this group of people. And these people will reply to your discussion with something to say. And that, is what others want to read. (I'll say it again) Want to chit chat about idle stuff? IM, chat room ETC. Yes, TerraForums does NOT provide a chat room. The one linked is UNOFFICIAL. We do not mod there.. We don't even promise it works. BUT, if you want to set up a chat room... We'll sticky it just like the other. No problem there. We just don't want that type of chit chat stuff on open forum. Not pages and pages and pages of it. I honestly do not think that is too much to ask of our members.
Andrew

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Dec. 17 2006,10:46)]I was not talking about threads straying off topic.  
I know what you were talking about Josh--I addressed it. But you also mentioned OT and JLAP chimed in about it...anyhoo, just giving my opinion.

Bottom line, Andrew's post right before mine gives your answer--makes good sense to me.

Here's the big meanie again..

I had no intention of pissing you off JB, but when you're talking about a chat room and work....that just doesn't click with me. If you're working, do what your supposed to do. I've been around so many lazy clock-suckers in my work experience, its comments like yours that made me say what I said.

Woah lol. That said Clock-suckers lmao. I had to do a double-take with that one lol.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you're working, do what your supposed to do.

I know what you mean, and you know I agree but I will reiterate my point again. No one here knows what’s going on or what he should be doing better than he does, especially online, so its best not to assume he's not doing what he's supposed to do. One comment about chatrooms and work raised my eyebrow too, but lets not jump to conclusions here. It is always best to assume everything is fine until you have specific evidence pointing otherwise. And you don’t have specific evidence to know what he should or should not be doing, or that he isnt doing it. I don’t. He does. So we should take his word for it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Dec. 18 2006,8:25)]If you're working, do what your supposed to do.
And how many people here cruise TF on their computer at work? I know I'm guilty. It's the same thing in my opinion; except that one is an actually interactive and responsive and the other is not.

People do get breaks and do have downtime in their jobs. Not every job is punching the clock eight hours a day with 15 minute breaks every four hours. There are times when I have nothing to do (or rather or waiting for something to come to me) simply out of virtue of the job (and I am not in a medical emergency field) - which is exactly like what Josh was describing. How can you make work if you are caught up and there are no emergencies? I guess he could go out and cause some car wrecks so that he'll be able to continue to work and forget about chatting.

We should all remember this next time we have a few minutes lag time in our jobs.

Just my two cents about this downward spiral.

xvart.

If you read the last sentence of my previous reply (its comments like that that made me say what I said) I am just basing his comments on stuff that I have seen happen in MY life. I am not dissing JB at all.

But then it goes back to...  I cannot read minds either.  So when you say comments like that I don't know it is not directed at me.  See where I am coming from?  Like alot of things on the net one can only assume.  So I appolagize for getting angery.  The thing is I do do what I am suposed to do at work.  One of the pirks of having a night job in the operating room is we have alot of down time, but conversly if there is work to be done we bust tail.  Because we are a skeloten crew. 3 people do the job of 5 to 6 people. Sometimes it is non stop all night.  There have been nights where we could not even get our side work done because we were operating all night.  That means no lunch all night too.  There are nights where we are operating till 2-3 in the morning then eat lunch and get ready for the next day and by the time we are done there it is time to go.  No computer time there either.  Just one of the pirks of working nights in a hospital.

I apolagize for starting this thread too.  See I don't give a rip about post counts.  Because I know how some folks post stupid things to increase post counts.  That all stems back from a few sites that have contests for post counts.  I have seen them and been on some.  Personaly I could care less. I do agree with Andrew on the aspect it is all about quality and not quantity.

JBL  The only reason I made a comment about the thread going OT is because some folks should know better.
tounge.gif
 I mean how can you really scold someone for bringing a thread off topic if you do it yourself?  I am always told at work you have to clean up your own backyard before you can complain about your neighbors.  I believe that.  I am not from the camp of do what I say and not what I do.  You must walk the walk if you are going to talk the talk .  Ya know what I mean?

Nep G  Yes that was dirrected at your post since your post was the one to go OT, but I just used you as an example.  I didn't mean anything bad behind it.  
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Woah lol. That said Clock-suckers lmao. I had to do a double-take with that one lol.

OK......
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I apolagize for starting this thread too. See I don't give a rip about post counts. Because I know how some folks post stupid things to increase post counts. That all stems back from a few sites that have contests for post counts. I have seen them and been on some. Personaly I could care less. I do agree with Andrew on the aspect it is all about quality and not quantity.

Don't say that! I'm personally glad that you did start it, because if you hadn't then we wouldn't have gotten this settled out.

Back