What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My family history I found

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
We found some documents that talk about our family history and how we are related to Robert E. Lee and slaves n stuff. I'll type it up and post it later today.

Don't pass judgement just because I mentioned slavery. You'll be pleasently surprised when you read it
smile.gif

You were related to Robert E. Lee AND slaves? Thats weird.

Lol Sorry... You know what I meant I meant we had a slave.

Yes, just one. Black Mammy is what the document called her.

Like I said wait untill you read what I post untill anyone starts ranting.

That isn't weird, given what slave owners did with slaves.

Maybe i'm part black
smile.gif

well didn't you say you wanted dreads?

your ansestors owned slaves, thats not very uncommon. I don't know for sure but mine probably did too.

Just one.

Well that's cool that you found out some info on your ancestors.

All i know is that Almost all of my ancestors on my mom's side are Polish and one is a little bit Native American

Ok, about to type it. Doesn't say Robert E. Lee like I thought it did byt my mother says she's always heard her whole life that we are related to him. doesn't really matter.

Parents of Joseph J. McPherson were Pinkney McPherson and Amanda Turley of Cobb county, Willie O'Church, near Roswell, Ga. Parents of Martha Jane Whitmire, S.C. The Rogers and Lees came to GA in 1857 and located near Dallas Ga.

Grandfather and Grandmother Rogers are buried at Mt. Zion Babtist Church south of Dallas, Georgia. Great Grandmother Lee is buried in the Dallas Cemetary. His grave is old cemented with conk shells placed in the cement over the top. He probably bought the conk shells from Charleston, S.C. He ran a commesary adnw ent to Columbia and Charleston to buy groceries, etc. Great grandmother Lee is buried in the Lee Cemetary near Whitmire, S.C. She died in Florida where she had gone to visit a brother and had been buried three days when Great Grandfather Lee received the news. He went in a wagon by himself and brought her home for burial in the Lee Cemetary. I think he must have loved her very much. She owned a Negro slave called "Black Mammy" and all the family loved "Black Mammy". "Black Mammy came to Georgia with the Lees and Rogers and Great Grandfather Lee gave her a home of her own when the slaves were freed. She is the only Negro in the Lee Cemetary.

Ohh my hand hurts
smile.gif
It's neat how they loved Black Mammy so much.

Yes that's very nice indeed! That's very good for your ancesters to have done that.

Geeze I wish that my family history was exciting like that.

Well... I wouldn't say exciting... No Raiders of the Lost Ark stuff lol

Well that's still pretty darn exciting!

you could like use that to start some major coversations.
Unlike myself
sad.gif

I mean, how exciting does this sound?: "hey did you know that I'm have polish?" or "Hey guys! Did you know that I'm 1/2 Polish, 1/4 Native Amercian, and 1/4 hispanic (from some unknown country)?"
rock.gif

Looks like Bruce was right.

laugh.gif

I don't...

?

About what herenorthere posted about it not being that strange as to what some slave owners did to slaves.

I'm really 3rd generation America, and 2nd generation American so I'm sure we didn't own slaves HERE. I wish I new more about my family history!

Ohio wasn't a slave state anyway.

at least you guys know a little bit about your ancestry. my dad's black, my mom's japanese. perhaps one day i'll try to find out if there is any record of our ancestry on either side and how far back it goes.

We learned a couple years ago that my father's grandfather was from what is now the Slovak Republic.  My father's cousin did some research and found relatives there.  One of whom had a photo of my father at about 8 with his family.  So even though my father had no idea they existed, they had a photo of him.  Unfortunately, my fathers parents were so anxious to Americanize they threw out their heritage.  Luckily, my father went over a year ago and met more relative there than we have here.  I still keep in touch with a couple of them.  It's interesting to track your ancestry, but it's even better when it leads to live people.

Back