Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BSL In California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL dont worry JLAP im not angry with you. You did nothing wrong- I did it to myself. If i had been quicker on my feet i could have avoided this whole thing *sigh*

Back on topic- Some bigger cities have banned certain breeds, so there is a set example. For them to mull such a ban, one would think those citywide bans had been successful in their objectives. I wish I had some statistics to look at for this.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pits are only agressive if you treat them horribly/violently, just like any other breed. Unfortunately stupid people get pits because theyre "cool", and treat them wrong, causing them to act that way. But of course, people like to spread things they've heard, but have no actual idea about (i.e., EVERYONE who thinks pits are naturally agressive has not only not had contact with a pit, but is an idiot).

I'm sure these bans are the actions of one person with an IQ below room temperature that was attacked by a pit after provoking it. I hate when idiots are allowed to interact with democracy...

Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    California will ban everything until the only thing you can do is go to work and go home and watch TV that's heavily censored so as to not "offend" anyone.
    & NYC will be right on it's heels...

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a ban on "pit bulls" in my province and despite a LOT of kvetching about it, it seems to be doing some good...

The common refrain of "it's not the DOG its the OWNERS" is all well and good, but really, it's not that simple, you can NOT do anything to ANYONE simply because they are so criminally stupid they could do just about anything, the laws just don't apply to "potential super-idiot"

It is an odd conundrum, as the solution most often proposed by the "small government" types is invariably a "regulate the owners", which would take a gigantic bureacracy (man I think I spelled that wrong) with regular intrusions into peoples "private lives" (you'd have to go and check out every specimen, every owner, regularly, to make SURE the dogs were in no wise violent)

The notion that most attacks are NOT by pitbulls is also pretty much moot- I don't know ANYONE who has died or been threatened with death by a poodle, but statistically they are among the top-rated "dog attacks" animals, whereas 2 of my friends have been sent to near-death states by dogs (not pitbulls in either case tho, so read that as you may) and in one case I am SURE that provocation was not an issue (the other happened when the person was very young and may have inadvertently "teased" the dog, but he was in no ways a violent or cruel person)

With pitbulls (and I am talking the jaw-locking "killer" type, which I KNOW does in fact exist) I do support a ban on people owning them- I view it kinda like fireworks bans up here- there's TOO many idiots who don't understand ANYTHING and could cause untold damage- add to that the broken legal system (speaking about Canada specifically here) and you have a recpie for bad things happening

I have a dog, too, part wolf or coyote or something, so I am not a "dog hatin" or otherwise super-ill-informed type, but until you can actually lock people up simply for being morons, this kind of stuff is necessary, and in fact defines "civilization" in my mind

Just my few cents worth
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like Canine Genocide to me. "Let's take one type of dog, seize them from families, round em up and kill them all" And PETA's for this? Shows what a hippocritical group they are...
    We had a Pit in the Bayridge, Brooklyn apartment. Never killed anyone. Actually it was a nice, dumb, friendly dog. Never bared it teeth once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyote mixes should be banned then going by youre logic, they are no different than wolf mixes, and they are no different than a pit's heck they are probably even more unexpected to do something than a pit bull. Yea theirs the few Wolf or Kyote mixes that are tame, but what happens when theirs the 1 or two people who are stupid around them. I can think of a few other breeds that should probably be banned all around then. I personly would love a pit bull.

Its just a breed of dog, its the land of the free let some one do something stupid and they will learn their mistakes!

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coyotes are all over the place here, no-one's ever been attacked by one

I jsut was stressing that they have been "banned" in our province and guess what- even the idiots who have them (not ALL owners of them, they are allowed to keep them, neutered, til they pass on, "grandfathered" if you will) have been more paranoid of parading obvious killing machines around in the streets, and actual attacks have decreased

If you can prove that my dog (with NO locking-jaw action) is as dangerous as one with a skull and jaw that is designed to do what "pit bull" jaws do I would be impressed

My dog is the tamest thing in the universe practically, and if folks are "stupid" with her, I will tell them to smarten up as she does not like being goofed around with- she won't respond violently, she just doesn't like it is all

"freedom" is an obscure concept that really doesn't mean much if you want to have the numbers of people we have in our societies all in one place

For instance, making what is described as a "Man Trap" is also illegal no matter where you do it up here...

I am not calling folks names or making silly blanket statements here, but seriously, using the "freedom" thing is goofy- if somone has a KILLING dog and it busts out and attacks me and chews my hand off, how do I get it back?? Or do I just get the "satisfaction" that "justice will be done"?? If someone has a "posession" that could, ALL BY ITSELF, get at me and severely injure me, I would HOPE that they kept track of it constantly, but I would prefer that MY "freedom" to not be torn to shreds by something some ignorant person let loose accidentally would trump the "freedom" of folks to own such a thing in the first place, ya dig??

I was just responding based on what else was said in the thread- the notion that a dog will ONLY attack someone if it is INTENTIONALLY or otherwise PROVOKED is simply not true and seems to form the basis of a lot of arguments against the ban (and when the ban here was being considered, I heard that a LOT) so maybe my tone might seem a bit off, but I HAVE witnessed this debate already, and thankfully it got resolved in a good manner, here at least

I mean, you're allowed to have guns, but not grenade launchers, right?? Why not grenade launchers?? is it a "freedom" that is being denied in that case?? just an analogy, maybe not a perfect one, but still, what's the difference?
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing about pitbulls is, as similar to many other breeds, they tend to be dominant to others of the same gender. Pitbulls were just unlucky enough to be one of the breeds targeted As a follower of canine breed shows, and knowing breeders of various breeds, I'm lucky enough to contact with many of the so called dangerous dogs. It's just awesome the temperament of these breeds, so calm, so confident! And absolutely more safe than some other breeds that tend to be nervous (characteristic of the breed or "damages" by ignorant "look-a-like-a-breeder"). If I'm not wrong, it was in France that was made and statistic about dog attacks, the top of the list was occupied by undefined breed dogs and those so called cute and fluffy breeds. Excessively spoiled dogs that take the Alfa position at their homes are the source of most of the attacks, and disturbed individuals but these are excepcional cases.
    About PETA... it just scares me how so many people go for their B.S.! They make me sick... Anyone ever wonder why the "e" for ethical isn't in capital letters as the rest of their initials? Exactly...

Btw, my vft bite me when I was trimming off dead leaves, are they going to be banned too?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast