What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BSL In California

Sounds like Canine Genocide to me. "Let's take one type of dog, seize them from families, round em up and kill them all" And PETA's for this? Shows what a hippocritical group they are...
We had a Pit in the Bayridge, Brooklyn apartment. Never killed anyone. Actually it was a nice, dumb, friendly dog. Never bared it teeth once.

Kyote mixes should be banned then going by youre logic, they are no different than wolf mixes, and they are no different than a pit's heck they are probably even more unexpected to do something than a pit bull. Yea theirs the few Wolf or Kyote mixes that are tame, but what happens when theirs the 1 or two people who are stupid around them. I can think of a few other breeds that should probably be banned all around then. I personly would love a pit bull.

Its just a breed of dog, its the land of the free let some one do something stupid and they will learn their mistakes!
mad.gif

Coyotes are all over the place here, no-one's ever been attacked by one

I jsut was stressing that they have been "banned" in our province and guess what- even the idiots who have them (not ALL owners of them, they are allowed to keep them, neutered, til they pass on, "grandfathered" if you will) have been more paranoid of parading obvious killing machines around in the streets, and actual attacks have decreased

If you can prove that my dog (with NO locking-jaw action) is as dangerous as one with a skull and jaw that is designed to do what "pit bull" jaws do I would be impressed

My dog is the tamest thing in the universe practically, and if folks are "stupid" with her, I will tell them to smarten up as she does not like being goofed around with- she won't respond violently, she just doesn't like it is all

"freedom" is an obscure concept that really doesn't mean much if you want to have the numbers of people we have in our societies all in one place

For instance, making what is described as a "Man Trap" is also illegal no matter where you do it up here...

I am not calling folks names or making silly blanket statements here, but seriously, using the "freedom" thing is goofy- if somone has a KILLING dog and it busts out and attacks me and chews my hand off, how do I get it back?? Or do I just get the "satisfaction" that "justice will be done"?? If someone has a "posession" that could, ALL BY ITSELF, get at me and severely injure me, I would HOPE that they kept track of it constantly, but I would prefer that MY "freedom" to not be torn to shreds by something some ignorant person let loose accidentally would trump the "freedom" of folks to own such a thing in the first place, ya dig??

I was just responding based on what else was said in the thread- the notion that a dog will ONLY attack someone if it is INTENTIONALLY or otherwise PROVOKED is simply not true and seems to form the basis of a lot of arguments against the ban (and when the ban here was being considered, I heard that a LOT) so maybe my tone might seem a bit off, but I HAVE witnessed this debate already, and thankfully it got resolved in a good manner, here at least

I mean, you're allowed to have guns, but not grenade launchers, right?? Why not grenade launchers?? is it a "freedom" that is being denied in that case?? just an analogy, maybe not a perfect one, but still, what's the difference?

The only thing about pitbulls is, as similar to many other breeds, they tend to be dominant to others of the same gender. Pitbulls were just unlucky enough to be one of the breeds targeted
sad.gif
As a follower of canine breed shows, and knowing breeders of various breeds, I'm lucky enough to contact with many of the so called dangerous dogs. It's just awesome the temperament of these breeds, so calm, so confident! And absolutely more safe than some other breeds that tend to be nervous (characteristic of the breed or "damages" by ignorant "look-a-like-a-breeder"). If I'm not wrong, it was in France that was made and statistic about dog attacks, the top of the list was occupied by undefined breed dogs and those so called cute and fluffy breeds. Excessively spoiled dogs that take the Alfa position at their homes are the source of most of the attacks, and disturbed individuals but these are excepcional cases.
About PETA... it just scares me how so many people go for their B.S.!
Oo.gif
They make me sick... Anyone ever wonder why the "e" for ethical isn't in capital letters as the rest of their initials? Exactly...

Btw, my vft bite me when I was trimming off dead leaves, are they going to be banned too?

I'd like a grenade launcher on my AR-15 so I'm all for that arguement Mabudon

If you read Nepenthes_ak's link you will see it amounts to doggie genocide, and if you've ever seen dogs pack you'll realize that ALL dogs can be killers.

They have those big teeth for a reason
smile.gif

They are called Canine Teeth for a reason
smile.gif

I still love them, though!

Wickle puppies....
tounge.gif

Im weakly against this untill I see any hard evidence that bans like this are sucessful. And because I hate freedom for thinking this way... apparently.

There are nice pit bulls and there are bad pit bulls.  There are responsible owners and irresponsible owners.  But one thing that you can NOT ever forget with ANY dog is the *purpose* for which a particular breed has been bred (herding, sporting, guarding, hunting, companion, etc.).  It is just something to be mindful of.  I have a fox terrier that is as sweet and gentle as can be.  But I don't for one minute forget what centuries of genetics tell him to do...and that's chase and kill small furry animals.  Dash-grab-shake-done.  That is why I have made the choice not to get a cat or animals like ferrets.  While it would be highly unlikely he would actually hurt another pet (many terriers co-exist happily with other animals), I know its a possibility and I won't take that chance.

Too many people think that dogs can reason like people do.  I may love my dog like a child but I am quite aware that he IS a DOG.  He can't reason and distinguish someone's beloved pet cat dashing across the yard from a squirrel.  That's not to say Ollie would try to kill every single furry thing that crosses his path.  BUT...I know that Ollie's genetics COULD drive him to do that under certain conditions.  This has nothing to do with him being viscious or untrained.  Its just him "doing his job."  He's a great ratter/mouser.

Pit bulls can be wonderful, sweet family pets...but no one should ever be so stupid as to think their dog CAN'T be aggressive.  Its happened too many times.  They just happen to be a breed that has a history of violence because they were bred for that.  Anyone who takes on a breed of that type has to be prepared to handle the consequences, just as I know that Ollie MIGHT kill a cat that gets into my yard.  Its not about "meanness"... its in the genes and BREEDING.

Two worst pit bull owners...those who think their dog would NEVER hurt a person...and those who think a pit bull is some extension of their machismo.

Besides not like pit bulls, rottweilers, and doverminpinchers, as long as they are penned up or on leach I do not care. It is the same thing as with any other dog, hate going out for run and having to fight off dogs.
mad.gif

Ferrets are already illegal in Ca. (I have 5 of them) I saw this today and it made me think of this topic...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/20/pitbull.baby.ap/index.html

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BENTON, Louisiana (AP) -- A woman jailed after four of her infant daughter's toes were gnawed off says the family's pet ferret did it, not their pit bull pup as police had said.

But her husband blames the dog, a city official said.

"The way the bite marks were on her foot, the ferret being out of its cage, I knew it wasn't the dog," Mary Hansche told KTBS-TV on Tuesday.

The month-old girl was injured December 10 as Hansche, 22, and her husband, Christopher Hansche, 26, slept; they woke up when they heard her crying. (Watch the calls come in to rescue the puppy Video)

The parents were jailed on $50,000 bond each, charged with child desertion and criminal negligence.

The husband had blamed the dog and told police the ferret had been in its cage all night, Bossier City spokesman Mark Natale said Wednesday.

The charges wouldn't change regardless of which pet was involved, Natale said, because the baby "was injured by an animal while in the custody of the parents."

The girl has been released from the hospital and is in state custody.

Attorney Pam Smart said she is waiting for results of a hair analysis to back up the couple's statement that they were not using drugs, calling the case a "very unfortunate accident."

Yah, I'm sure it was the ferret and not the pit bull pup...
crazy.gif
thumbdown.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]With pitbulls (and I am talking the jaw-locking "killer" type, which I KNOW does in fact exist)

hahahahaha, mabudon, are you kidding me?
"Dispelling some myths about Pit Bulls:

-Is it true that Pit Bulls can lock their jaw?
The infamous locking jaw is a myth. The American Pit Bull Terrier and related breeds are physiologically no different from any other breed of dog. All dogs are from the same species and none have locking jaws. Dr. I Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia states, "To the best of our knowledge, there are no published scientific studies that would allow any meaningful comparison to be made of the biting power of various breeds of dogs. There are, moreover, compelling technical reasons why such data describing biting power in terms of 'pounds per square inch' can never be collected in a meaningful way. All figures describing biting power in such terms can be traced to either unfounded rumor or, in some cases, to newspaper articles with no foundation in factual data." Furthermore, Dr. Brisbin states, "The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of 'locking mechanism' unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier.""

from: http://www.austinlostpets.com/kidskorner/2October/pitbull.htm

From Wikipedia:
"While some people contend that pit bulls are likely to cause fatalities when they do attack, claiming it might be their jaws or clamping on to a victim, it has not been verified in any study, whether scientific or otherwise. There is no valid scientific study in existence which proves this theory, but it is often touted."

mabudon, you are one of those people I was talking about that has absolutely no clue about what they're saying, but say it nonetheless. Please visit the following link and get some proper information: http://www.pitbulllovers.com/american-pit-bull-terrier-myths.html

Also on wiki is this nugget on the pitbull page

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This article or section needs a complete rewrite.
Reason: Unencylopedic, (mostly) unsourced, POV, and reads like a sermon.

So yeah, I checked out your link, as well as googled a few others and I can't find ANYTHING that doesn't sound super-biased on either side...

While I may not "know what I'm talking about", I have lived for almost 34 years on this planet and know what I have seen with my own eyes- there's no links to it, sadly, but I know what I know

The whole side of the "Argument" where folks try to point fingers at other dogs and suggest that they are "worse" (and I know, I've been nipped by a few doggies and they weren't "pit bulls") are simply ridiculous and a clear example of sophism of the highest order

To that line on thinking, I say mosquitoes are the most dangerous animal, as prolly more folks get bit by them than anything else. How many folks die from mosquito attacks?? How many folks lose hands, arms, eyes etc from mosquito attacks?? How bout poodles??? How bout schnauzers?? Have you read a lot of articles about fatal weiner dog attacks?? Or is this the "liberal media bias", whereby only pitbull attacks get reported, and in reality folks are dying from all sorts of tiny, vicious dog attacks every day, but "the MAN" wants to "keep pitbulls down"
rock.gif

Anyways, phissionkorps, nice way to attack me all ad-hominem- like (look it up, if you conduct yourself in this way in "real life" eventually someone's gonna call you on it to your face cos that sure as heck is what you did in your last post, and I will explain it if ya can't figure it out), hope you have a merry x-mas and hope you don't get bit by no non-existent fantasy dogs over the break
biggrin.gif

The jaw-locking mechanism in a pit bull (whatever a pit bull is) is identical to the jaw-locking mechanism in a Chihuahua.  The dog's brain tells its mouth to close and to not let go.  It's the same as the jaw-locking mechanism in humans.

The thing about pit bulls, like other terriers, is that they were bred to be aggressive towards other dogs.  Or to grab other animals and shake them to death.  If you go to an AKC dog show, you'll often see a judge ask terrier handlers to make their dogs confront each other.  The judge is checking to make sure they have an appropriately aggressive reaction.  If two Rottweilers acted that way, they'd be tossed out of the ring.  The AKC doesn't release quail to confirm the birdiness of sporting breeds or keep a few sheep around to test the herding breeds, but they look for dog-on-dog aggression from terriers.

I think the whole pit bull thing is media-driven hysteria, but we keep our dogs away from terriers or dogs that have a terrier look to them.  I won't tell people they can't have a terrier, but I won't let their dog anywhere near mine.

Back