Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Pox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

I've looked all over the web for more info on this very interesting case of small pox, but I can't find that much information

The most clear and interesting info is probably from the book Demon in the Freezer
    Here's some of my favorite info from Wikipedia:

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Black pox is a symptom of smallpox that is caused by bleeding under the skin which makes the skin look charred or black. This symptom usually indicates that a patient with smallpox is going to die.

A doctor who encountered black pox stated that "Doctors separate black pox into two forms flat smallpox and hemorrhagic smallpox. In a case of flat smallpox, the skin remains smooth and doesn't pustulate, but it darkens until it looks charred, and it can slip off the body in sheets. In hemorrhagic smallpox, black, unclotted blood oozes or runs from the mouth and other body orifices. Black pox is close to a hundred percent fatal. If any sign of it appears in the body, the victim will almost certainly die. In the bloody cases, the virus destroys the linings of the throat, the stomach, the intestines, and the rectum, and these membranes disintegrate. Fatal smallpox can destroy the body's entire skin both the exterior skin and the interior skin that lines the passages of the body."

Could someone with some knowledge about this interesting virus help enlighten me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no... but now you've got me curious

what brought this up? is it for a school report or did you just get bored and start to look up wierd thing? just wondering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw Demon in the Freezer at the library last week and it seemed to go in the direction of weapons of mass destruction fear mongering. There are other books out there that do a better job of explaining small pox and why it matters. I just can't think of any titles. But there's been a rush of books about diseases in the last several years and you should have no trouble satisfying your morbid curiousity or whatever it is.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I saw it on the Colbert Report awhile back. So I decided to try and read up on it, because it peaked my curiosity.

Thanks! Herenorthere! I would be very interested in some books like that. And I wouldn't exacly say that i have a morbid curiousity, but I'm more of a hemefiliac, except not the kind that bleeds to death.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ar you shure its real? Colbert has been know to make up things that later find their way on wikipedia. Actually, he uses his power to mess with wikipedia. So besides not being a reliable source anyway... you get the point
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll look around the next time I make it to the library. If you want to challenge yourself, find a copy of Betrayal of Trust, by Laurie Garrett. It's a massive book about increasing diseases and declining public health systems. It'll be like jumping into the deep end of the pool (it was a text in the graduate-level medical geography course I took) but it's fascinating. Even if there might not be enough blood for you.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Colbert is altering wikiality this time. If that article from wikipedia was fake then it would be full of Colbert's false conservatism and sarcasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, i'm sure that it's real.

I've heard about it from other sources as well. I've also heard that it goes into much more grusome detail

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast