User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have all the stuff...What next?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really dont think AV's would go to well with CP's Im preaty sure they need some source of nutrience in the soil, treat them like CP's otherwise and they will go like crazy!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nep AK...he said "Drosera African Violet..." ...not African Violets. I am assuming its some sundews since he said Drosera. Could be D. capensis...D. adelae...D. spatulata... who knows.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoever he bought the plants from probably just doesnt know anything about CPs..

why any CP would be considered a "companion plant" to African Violets is beyond me! although I suppose D. Capensis could be happy under the same conditions as african violets..(except with different soil and water..)
    but anyway, its very clueless and irresponsible to sell CPs as "African Violet Companion Plants"

I just did a google search for ""CARNIVOROUS Drosera African Violet Companion Plants"

it brought up...Ebay.
    that explains it!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    binata, spatulata, capensis(most of the south african species) along with a host of others will grow happily along side african violets in my house. different soil ofcource but their pots can be side by side to recieve the same temps, humidity and light
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes i bought them on ebay...

they are Drosera spatulata

What about humitidy if I put them in an open container...It is like 25% here..

Thanks

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Dec. 20 2006,10:24)]Go to Home Depot or Lowes (or a garden center or similar store) and get nine 4" plastic pots..basic simple pots, like this:

Pot picture
    I wish my Lowe's carried pots like that... Nice description and post, scotty.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All your plants should do fine in 25% humidity assuming they're used to 25% humidity. If not, you'll want to acclimate them slowly. One easy method is to keep them in a plastic bag with holes punched in the side, and then punching a few more holes every day. The most important factor, however, is light. You will only get healthy, nice looking plants if you set them in a sunny south-facing windowsill or put them under lights. I keep as many plants as possible outside, because they love the bright natural light. For the others, I've got a set of 4' shop lights, and I've got the plants in open trays a few right up under the fixture. It's just dissapointing to try and grow these plants and then end up with unrecognizable spindly green things instead. Good luck with everything!

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my drosera(except for one tank of a petolaris complex drosera) experiance humidity as low as 15% with no ill effects. my D. binata lived on my back step last summer, hot & dry winds didnt bug them aslong as the water tray was kept full. given that spatulata is pretty low growing, the humidity at the soil surface is going to be higher than that of the ambient room humidity. high humidity and no air circulation is very bad, far worse than low humidity. i killed alot of Drosera in my first 6 months of this hobby because i was keeping them in the high humidity of closed fish tanks. soon as i started growing them in open trays my success rate sky rocketed
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12