Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: possum

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opposms can be bears, but they are all bark and no bite.

Contrary to popular believe Opposums CANNOT have rabies. Their body temp is too low to support the virus. One of their defense mechanisms is to foam at the mouth though. Although that is just to make other animals think it has rabies. It really doesn't. It will hiss and make noise too. Its last line of defense is to pass out. It is uncontrolable too. The animal if freaked out enough will just passout cold. My Bio teacher loves them and one of her ex students resues them to return to the wild. So we had a day presentation on them in class. Also the average lifespan of an opposm is only about 2 years. 4 in captivity if they are given the propper diet. They are bad about getting metobolic bone disease if they do not get the propper diet. So unless you do research on them do not try to keep a baby. You could end up killing it early from an inproper diet.

And no opposms do not hang upside down by their tails to sleep either. That is another myth. There tails do not act like a monkeys tail.

During the presentaion we were able to hold some opposm babies that didn't have there eyes open yet. They are really cute with wirery hair like rats sometimes have.

They love grapes too. Atleast the adult that was at school loved them. That is how she kept his attention.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That second picture sure looks scary. Good little story though!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all are going to think me crazy but I have a great idea for a research project. I would like to see a case study on whether the "drop" response in opposums is being selected against in urban populations putting evolutionary pressure toward an opposum that no longer "passes out" when it sees a car.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a possum to me. Nobody around here ever says the "O". That's unheard of.

I've had them before...seen them on my deck. A really BIG one too. And yes they hiss and bare their teeth. I think they are rather gross. I'm trying to figure out if the two raccoons are still in my attic.

That's a nice pictorial story though. Thanks for sharing the misadventure.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (fischerCP @ Dec. 21 2006,8:21)]I lossoed its head and poled it out and put hem in to the trash can.
    dude.

english, please?

my first thought was the possibility of them being a carrier of disease. although "cute", i'm a little skiddish about the thought of keeping any wild animals as a pet. i think it's cruel in some cases, and in others i don't know enough about the animal or never thought about it. personal safety issues are a factor too, such as disease and/or potential injuries. also, sanitation issues.

glad you got it out of your home, fischer. and you even got some good pictures.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He threw a lasso around it's head, pulled it out, and put it in the trash can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read that when they pass out, they can release a very foul odor so that they appear dead to avoid predators.

Brian

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that happens to my dad at Thanksgiving, too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast