Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CP Rescue

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I get back home I'll contact the land owner and see what we an work out.

My biggest fear about leaveing the plants there is not the actual construction. A fence and a sign would take care of that. My biggest fear is the way the land slopes. Even if we make sure the area remains untouched fertilizer from the yard is going to drain through the area into the lake. That'll be the end of the plants no matter what we do. I'll have a better picture of whats going to hapen as soon as I get a chance to sit down and talk to the land owner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ozzy you're such a great person.... behind all that silliness is an awesome person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Dec. 27 2006,4:07)]My biggest fear is the way the land slopes. Even if we make sure the area remains untouched fertilizer from the yard is going to drain through the area into the lake. That'll be the end of the plants no matter what we do.
    Creating a run off channel would be the work of an afternoon for a pair of determined people and a trench digger.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't thought about a trench or ditch to drain away from or around the plants. I will have to work on this idea and bring it up to the landowner.

If everybody keeps saying that I'm good people, I'll just have to make you pay for those words in just a few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But drain to where, the lake? If it gets in the water it will get to the plants eventually.

Oh an april fools... Threat? Promise? Those of us who have been here for awhile know not to take any post by you that is more than 2 lines long seriously within a month of april fools.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would get to the lake eventually through normal drainage. Besides, once in he lake it would be 1) diluted by many orders of magnitude and 2) probably metabolized by algae before it was able to back leach in to the soil.

Ozzy, I was not thinking a ditch or trench alone so much, a drainage channel is a bit more complicated. You would first need to dig a trench yes but then you put a layer of sand in and then one of those black plastic corrugated tubes that has been perforated and "socked". Then back fill the trench with gravel. Some people line the trench with pond liner before putting everything in but that might be overkill in this case.

Any run-off would rapidly drain through the gravel and then, following the path of least resistance, go into the tube and then on its way to where ever you dictate the output to be.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]It would get to the lake eventually through normal drainage. Besides, once in he lake it would be 1) diluted by many orders of magnitude and 2) probably metabolized by algae before it was able to back leach in to the soil.
    I understand, but the orders of magnitude it will be diluted is unknown, and with the lawns right up to the water on other lots, likely less than optimal. It cant be helped, so i guess it is moot.

He means a drainage ditch like so: Where the light-coulord zone is sand/gravel and the pipe is perforated
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the graphic Finch, that is it exactly.

I think the orders of magnitude is at least estimatable. How much water is used when watering? Call it 100G to be obnoxious. that is ~10 cubic feet. Now, how big is that lake?? Even if it is as small as an acre/foot (approx a football field worth of water one foot deep) that is 54000 cubic feet. So that is 4 orders of magnitude. So fertilizer, which when diluted and applied, is at most parts per thousand then becomes parts per ten million. And that lake looks to be a good deal more than an acre/foot so you are probably into the realm of parts per billion. Plus, with all those other houses there is probably already fertilizer run off throughout the lake what with diffusion and all that and yet none of that is affecting the plants.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast