What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP Rescue

nep ak, we don't yet know what the fate of these plants are going to be.

sad.gif

oh, well that sucks. I wish I had that land. I would build a house as close to the road as possible!
wow.gif
well Then I hope they are preserved.

Ah Nonono

Is this the same developer as the other houses? It looks like the lawn would be the problem if thats the case. And i mean loook at that it looks like they made their own beaches. Really, i think a buffer would be the best bet, but you woluld need to work out some way to allow the homeowners water acess, as well. And nothing would prevent the homeowner from doing it themselves, lawn right up to the edge of the water and all.

And perhaps... take the landowner out there and show him the plants. A visual connetction would help. And see what he thinks they should do, cause it is his land, and reach a comprimise.

Looks like some Drosera brevifolia there in pic, 176752634O353379771.jpg.

The house and lawn and seawall photos show the real threat to CPs. Frivolous development. It's offfensive how much damage is done to build 2nd homes, while others don't have a home at all.

Assuming their habitat isn't destroyed in building the house, it looks like they could use a good burn to remove the overgrowth. Liked that tree climbing turtle
tounge.gif
. Don't see that too often.

Nice!! Did you fill out a form? Can't wait to hear more details.

As far as water access goes, maybe a boardwalk could be constructed?

Yes I did the paper work. I'm out of state right now and I'll send it to the right person when I get home. I'll be home on the first of the year.

Feel free to use the pics for the NASC webstie.

Well, I can jsut say from looking at construction sites that many construction workers do not care about plants and so I would say if there was anything on the property they should be protected some how. the best way is to remove them and replace them after construction is complete. That is just my opinion. At the very least a fence should be put around them.

Not everyone cares about plants like we do. I would rather replace them after the danger is gone than assume a construction worker is not going to toss a wood pile on it.

Wow. His property is loaded with plants and a variety too! I do have concerns. Even if the plants aren't where the house is actually going to be constructed, they are still on property that is essentially going to become a "yard", not a nature habitat.
sad.gif
I would have worries that human traffic in future years will destroy these plants. Hopefully, since the owner seems to care and is interested, NASC can work out a way to keep plants in place that have a good chance of survival but take the ones who will not make it. Amazing to see so many different plants in one small piece of land. And so sad that its being developed. Look at all those other homes...think of how many CPs have already bit the dust.
sad.gif

At least we should be able to rescue SOME and get some seeds so that genetic material can be propagated and maintained.

GOOD JOB, Ozzy!
woot.gif
Maybe you can work with this guy to keep a small "preserve" on his land. We can list his name on the NASC patron website (once we have that page constructed).

Ozzy!  You are good people.  
hail.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well, I can jsut say from looking at construction sites that many construction workers do not care about plants and so I would say if there was anything on the property they should be protected some how. the best way is to remove them and replace them after construction is complete. That is just my opinion. At the very least a fence should be put around them.

Its that they dont know or understand them, or perhaps not care. Many construction workers do not understand trees either, but we dont cut down all trees on the property before construction begins (usually) because some may be left standing when all is said and done.

When I get back home I'll contact the land owner and see what we an work out.

My biggest fear about leaveing the plants there is not the actual construction. A fence and a sign would take care of that. My biggest fear is the way the land slopes. Even if we make sure the area remains untouched fertilizer from the yard is going to drain through the area into the lake. That'll be the end of the plants no matter what we do. I'll have a better picture of whats going to hapen as soon as I get a chance to sit down and talk to the land owner.

ozzy you're such a great person.... behind all that silliness is an awesome person.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Dec. 27 2006,4:07)]My biggest fear is the way the land slopes. Even if we make sure the area remains untouched fertilizer from the yard is going to drain through the area into the lake. That'll be the end of the plants no matter what we do.
Creating a run off channel would be the work of an afternoon for a pair of determined people and a trench digger.

I haven't thought about a trench or ditch to drain away from or around the plants. I will have to work on this idea and bring it up to the landowner.

If everybody keeps saying that I'm good people, I'll just have to make you pay for those words in just a few months.

But drain to where, the lake? If it gets in the water it will get to the plants eventually.

Oh an april fools... Threat? Promise? Those of us who have been here for awhile know not to take any post by you that is more than 2 lines long seriously within a month of april fools.

It would get to the lake eventually through normal drainage. Besides, once in he lake it would be 1) diluted by many orders of magnitude and 2) probably metabolized by algae before it was able to back leach in to the soil.

Ozzy, I was not thinking a ditch or trench alone so much, a drainage channel is a bit more complicated. You would first need to dig a trench yes but then you put a layer of sand in and then one of those black plastic corrugated tubes that has been perforated and "socked". Then back fill the trench with gravel. Some people line the trench with pond liner before putting everything in but that might be overkill in this case.

Any run-off would rapidly drain through the gravel and then, following the path of least resistance, go into the tube and then on its way to where ever you dictate the output to be.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It would get to the lake eventually through normal drainage. Besides, once in he lake it would be 1) diluted by many orders of magnitude and 2) probably metabolized by algae before it was able to back leach in to the soil.
I understand, but the orders of magnitude it will be diluted is unknown, and with the lawns right up to the water on other lots, likely less than optimal. It cant be helped, so i guess it is moot.

He means a drainage ditch like so:
ditch.gif
Where the light-coulord zone is sand/gravel and the pipe is perforated

Thank you for the graphic Finch, that is it exactly.

I think the orders of magnitude is at least estimatable. How much water is used when watering? Call it 100G to be obnoxious. that is ~10 cubic feet. Now, how big is that lake?? Even if it is as small as an acre/foot (approx a football field worth of water one foot deep) that is 54000 cubic feet. So that is 4 orders of magnitude. So fertilizer, which when diluted and applied, is at most parts per thousand then becomes parts per ten million. And that lake looks to be a good deal more than an acre/foot so you are probably into the realm of parts per billion. Plus, with all those other houses there is probably already fertilizer run off throughout the lake what with diffusion and all that and yet none of that is affecting the plants.

Back