Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CP Rescue

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to let everybody know that tomorrow I am going to look at a site that a house is schedualed for construction to begin in mid January. The land owner has told me that he has S.flavas and there could be other cp's on the land. He has already agreed to cooperte with NASC to save any plants that may be in danger.

From talking to him he seems to want to keep at least some plants in the property. He also has told me to take whatever I want. So I don't know for sure what his true intentions are, but after I told him what we do he said that it seems exciting and he would love to be involved. When he told me to take whatever I want, I explaind to him that is not what we do. I explianed that we are only interested in taking plants if they are to be destroyed. I told him when I look at his land I would decide if they are in danger. If possiabe I would like to work with him to keep the plants where they are or move them to another location on his property. From looking at a satelitle photo I don't think they will survive in any location but where they are.

The property is boadered by a lake. If you look at the pic, you'll see a green patch next to the lake. That is where I think the flavas are. The rest of the land looks to be very dry and sandy. If I'm right, the only area for them to grow is by the lake. The house is going to be built in the white sandy area, not where the flavas are growing. So I am very unsure of if the plants will be safe where they are or not.

If they will be able to stay where they are and we don't need a rescue, the land owner has agreed for us to take a sample.

I'll post an update tomorrow when I get home.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so happy he's not some crotchety old man with a shotgun. I'm really glad he's all for helping.

Hope they will be ok They are so beautiful. Really they are. Wish everyone could see them like we do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could there be some very unhappy dews in the sandy area like D. brevifolia or something?

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping that there are other sarrs, dews and maybe even pings and vft's there. I'll find out tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I'm so happy he's not some crotchety old man with a shotgun.
    Well, if the plants will be safe where they are, then maybe we should hope he IS a crothety old man with a shotgun!
    No poachers for sure!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Hort. School dropout X 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AWWW Boiling Springs.
    Brings back fond memories of seeing VFT, S pupurea, S. rubra and S. flava in somewhat of their natural setting also D. intermedia D ? brevifolia and U/ gibba it was yellow and in the water. if you call a 4 ft deep drainage ditch natural
    Lois
    Every seed that you plant ,doesn't sprout.
    Every seed that sprouts, doesn't make it to maturity.
    Every cutting that you stick doesn't grow roots.
    Every cutting that roots doesn't grow to a small plant.
    Every small plant doesn't reach maturity.

Who needs speelcheck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I told him when I look at his land I would decide if they are in danger
    Can you do that accuratly without knowing exactly where the houses are going? I mean, really close to the water by the white sandy area, and such, with the rest lawn?

I think it would be best to encourage the landowner to leave a strip of native riparian vegetation to protect water quality and native habitat (plus to prevent erosion), how wide determined by how extensive the cp's are. Make it clear that means no lawns right up to the waters edge. There is a good amount of literature on how this is beneficial; so I wont go into it here.

Quote[/b] ]I'm so happy he's not some crotchety old man with a shotgun. I'm really glad he's all for helping.
    yes ozzy might be a decent guy after all
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I would still suggest getting the plants out of the area if there is to be a construction crew present. They have to have space to lay building materials and equipment. That means any are the house is not going. Even if the house is to be built in the sandy area the grassy area might not be safe from the contracters, but I duno maybe a fence would help. I hope there is some CPs there and they can be protected.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast