What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

99 cent store sells CPs

Howdy Y'all,
My Gosh this forum has changed so much. It's been a while since I've been here but once again, I'm glad to be back.

Back to the point, THEY SELL VENUS FLYTRAPS AT THE 99 CENT STORE!!!! I was at a christmas party and my little cousin showed me some flytraps he got and i told him how to take care of it. I asked him where he got them from and he said the 99 cents store. No joke, I went there and saw some, sadly therey were all purchsed!!!

I guess it might depends on where you live, I live in southern california.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up, and i'd say get them quick!!!

I just went to a local store Weds and didn't notice any but I was only looking for specific stuff.

The plant was actually alive?

Thus is the miracle of tissue culture. Since the plants are cheaply created and sold, it reduces the financial reasons for poaching, protecting the plants in the wild. Furthermore, when a plant dies, it doesn't mean that you've lost a genetically unique specimine: it's not like you're reducing the survivability of the species because your poached, genetically unique plant died.

Cheap, stops poaching, lets people learn, makes the hobby more accessible. A thumbs up, I'd say!

YAY! I hope you start posting again!

I MISSED YOU!

Omg!!! Clint you're still alive!!!! I missed you more than a cold tall glass of lemonade on a hot summer's eve... sadly it's winter over here but it feels like fall. The plants were in great condition.

Gosh, i just love these new smilies!
laugh.gif

I live in So Cal. I'll be heading over to my local 99 cents store and check out their plants tommorow... If I'm lucky I'll stock up for this upcoming growing season
smile.gif

name of the store please? is it a chain store or anything?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (goldtrap2690 @ Dec. 29 2006,8:20)]Gosh, i just love these new smilies!
laugh.gif
I'm glad I could amuse you.
oh.gif
rockwoot.gif

It's called the 99 cents only store. It's a chain store that has pink awnings.

im gonna go check my 99cent store or my dollar store!

Iono about dollar stores like Dollar tree or dollar k but for sure i know that i've seen them at more then one 99 cents only stores.

wow. we have those here in texas, too. i used to live right behind one. (literally walking distance)

99 Cent stores so far are only in CA, NV, AZ & TX.

99 cent Only Store Locator

Not all stores are created equal either, the Torrance store on 190th is at least twice as large as any of the other stores I've gone to and seems to carry a higher quality of stuff. I'll check them out soon.

Well, well! Tuyen! Good to see you back. You should stick around more.
smile.gif
We don't have that store here but have other dollar stores.

A little update for those of you keeping tack of this topic:

I went to the 99 Cents Only store today around mid-day, but I had no luck finding VFT’s. They did have lots of “lucky bamboo” plants and lots of others, though.
I then decided to walk around the store. They had a whole bunch of handy items! I ended up buying:
-Ten 6Qt. Sterilite plastic containers, which I will use to collect rainwater and to hold some of my CP’s that grow in small pots instead of water dishes. Each were $0.99
-Five 4in. plastic pots. They were five for $0.99
-Two giant plastic jugs. Each were $0.99

My bill came up to a little under $14! Happy shopper here!!!
oh.gif

I hit two stores this morning. No CPs, there were a few decent house plants but I resisted. One had 8 or 10 inch terracotta pots which might be good for growing Darlingtonia californica but I didn't buy any.

I was looking for 3-4" pots but didn't see any of those either. I picked up some "Coca-cola" drinking glasses (plastic, classic Coke shape) at two for $0.99. If I drill some holes in the bottom they'd make neat planters for tuberous Drosera.

I went to my 99 cent store again. No luck anymore, all i saw was the carboard box that had the plants in them. Better luck next time.

Did you catch which nursery/distributor the plants were from? How was the plant packaged/potted?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My bill came up to a little under $14! Happy shopper here!!!
oh.gif
i said that too when i went to lowes and i asked if i could get a discount on the cubes. 50 cents for each! it wasnt worth it though. all were dead or too light starved to even try to help. i noticed somthing with the primulifloras. THEY WERE GONE!!...it was just blacknes! nothing to be seen!!
Alex

Back