What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nowadays in the USA, mass produced garden store CPs are pretty basic. Apart from Nepenthes "alata", VFTs, Drosera adelae and already-dead Darlingtonia cubes, you are unlikely to find much in the way of CPs at general garden stores/lowes etc. I have come across some surprisingly rare finds at these places, however.

Back in 1995, a local Georgia gardening store called pike's had a large selection of CP's from the mass produced "little pot of horrors" brand. One day, I saw that a new shipment had come in. It was incredible. In a massive tiered display of domed pots, I saw the largest, most robust mass-produced CP's I had ever seen. Usually, such plants were half-dead. Even more unusual were the types of plants in the domed pots. Most of the domed pots contained large specimens of some sort of BOREAL Pinguicula, most likely P. grandiflora. They all had flawless 4 inch rosettes and multiple purple flowers The other pots contained glistening Drosera rotundifolia clumps. Being delivered to hot Georgia in early summer, these cold-loving plants were most likely doomed to die within days. It still puzzles me why a mass-prodction CP company would mass produce such rare(for 1995, and for Georgia) and difficult plants. Has anyone seen these species in mass-production sale?

Another puzzling example happened when I bought 3 mass-produced Pinguicula primuliflora in 2002. All flowered several weeks later. 2 were obviosly primuliflora but the 3rd turned out to be Pinguicula ionantha with a white flower. How did a rare P. ionantha end up in a batch of tissue cultured P. primuliflora? Even more unusual, I contacted the source of the pings several years later and they said that they only had 1 specimen plant of P. ionantha that belonged to the owner of the business. They didn't have it when I got my plants. Could my "P. ionantha" have been a pigment-free TC mutant of P. primuliflora?

Post unusual experences with mass-produced CP's here.
Oo.gif

I know of one other person who had a P. ionantha in a cube, but I don't recall their name at this moment.... No, P. ionantha isn't a mutation, I'm sure of that. The flowers are very different. Plus, they're endangered in the wild.

At my Home Depot store, they have about 10 N. x ventrata hanging with the rest of the plants. At a nursery, I've seen some mass produced S. leucophylla 'Tarnok', D. intermedia, and I think S. 'Scarlet Belle' or something similar. Also, I've seen some really nice VFTs such as an 'Akai Ryu' at Tops, a local grocery store.

-Ben

i got a 'Scarlett Belle' from Lowes. VERY pretty plant. i did once see at walmart many years ago U. sandersonii in a small pot with a dome over it. i dont remember a distributor but i do remember the pretty bunny flowers. i also got a VFT from walmart that was completly colorless. it was not light starved either. i got it in march and it went all the way until september before it started to show even the smallest bit of color! this will be an interesting post to watch
smile.gif

Alex

I only just saw Nepenthes at my home depo not to long ago. I think does P. primuliflora have a white flower variation?

even though i do not see many 'special' CPs at home depot or lowes, at a local nursery named "Tallahassee Nurseries" i have seen the most widely ranged CPs that I've come upon. Before I only used to see the domed pots of D. muscipula, D. adelae, D. filiformis, P. primuilfora, and S. purpurea.

But lately they've been stocking up with plants such as All of the Sarracenia (grown outdoors in the open) D. intermedia, D. filiformis var. tracyi, D. filiformis x intermedia, D. binata, P. primuliflora, D. muscipula 'red dragon', D. muscipula ' Dente'. (all are grown outdoors) and are supplied by my friend Jimmy Bone

Inside of one of their Greenhouses there are sometimes different Nepenthes as well as one occasion where there was a small but very pricy Ceph

I bought five VFT's from Fred Meyers. That's what got me into CP's. All of them were very healthy when I bought them. They're in dormancy now. Actually the majority of the traps are so robust that despite tempuratures in the 30's, over half the traps haven't even turned brown yet. To top that off, all five plants have been repotted without any damage what so ever. I must say I'm quite impressed with them.

There's a Lowes about 10 minutes from my house. Just the thought that there might be a Nepenthes there is driving me crazy. Does anybody know about how much a hardwear store Nepenthes would cost?

I recently bought a huge N. x ventrata for about 20 bucks (with tax) from Home Depot.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the great cornholio @ Dec. 29 2006,9:45)]Another puzzling example happened when I bought 3 mass-produced Pinguicula primuliflora in 2002. All flowered several weeks later. 2 were obviosly primuliflora but the 3rd turned out to be Pinguicula ionantha with a white flower. How did a rare P. ionantha end up in a batch of tissue cultured P. primuliflora? Even more unusual, I contacted the source of the pings several years later and they said that they only had 1 specimen plant of P. ionantha that belonged to the owner of the business. They didn't have it when I got my plants. Could my "P. ionantha" have been a pigment-free TC mutant of P. primuliflora?

Post unusual experences with mass-produced CP's here.  :wow:
Wait a second... I've gotten what I thought were P. primuliflora, with flowers that start out white, but ended up that light purple color. They produce plantlets like a primuliflora, so how can I tell if I have that or an ionatha?

ionantha has the huge yellow beard! its more elongated than prim's.
Alex

My plant didn't make offshoots at the end of the leaves like a P. primuliflora. It was also significantly larger with longer leaves. The flower was similar to primuliflora, but pure white. The flowers where pure white until they died. Most prims start white and turn purple. Since this was several years ago, I forgot what the beard looked like in relation to a typical primuliflora, the flower shape was the same, though. I'm fairly convinced this was an ionantha, and I think it happened at the time when several other people reported getting ionanthas. Strangely enough, the flower shape resembled primuliflora. I also think that it could have been an anthocyanin-free tc mutant considering the improbabillity that P. ionantha could have "leaked" into mass-market tc. I know that P. ionantha was tc'd for a short while to make it less rare, but it wasn't mas-produced for big box stores. The jury is still out...

Back