What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft has gone too far

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Microsoft has now pushed me too far. First I paid almost a $1000 for a PC. Then when I try to use any of the microsoft office programs that "come" with my pc, I have to pay extra for them.

I almost never use those programs anyway so it wasn't too much of a big deal for me. But their latest ploy has pushed me over the edge.

For Christmas I got the new Microsoft Flight sim X Deluxe edition. This sim cost close to $100. I got the Deluxe, so it costed $40 more than the regular version.

I was out of town when I got it. I had some free time so I installed it on my laptop, just to try it out. It was really great. I couldn't wait until I got home and tryed it out on my pc with my microsoft sidewinder joystick, that I've had for years. It was bought just to fly all the previous versions of flight sim that I have payed for.

Well I got home and installed it on my pc. Before you can fly the sim you have to activate the software. I went through the "LONG" process to activate it and I got a message that I have installed it on too many computers.

I hit the roof. I called them and I spent hours on the phone with them. I think there were a total of 4 phone calls. After one call I looked at my phone and I had spent 1 hour and 12 minutes on just that call.

Here is an email that I wrote to Mirosoft.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Message: Hello,

I have been a customer of Microsoft flight sim ever since it was first released. I have bought every flight sim except one and that was the century of flight version.

I went out of town for Christmas and I received the flight sim X deluxe edition while I was out of town. I installed the sim to a pc while I was there to try it out. I also installed it to my laptop.

This morning I tryed to install it to my home PC. When I tryed to activate it I received a message that it has been installed too many times. I called customer service and I was transferred to a very nice woman named Thelma. I was on the phone with her for 1 hour and 12 mins. In total I spent 2 and 1/2 hours trying to install Flight sim X on my pc before I was told that I can only install it on ONE pc. I was furious. Now I can understand that it is important for you to take precautions to stop piracy of your software but with the amount of money that you charge for this game it is a total ripoff for you to limit me to only installing it once. What if I have to do a total restore on my pc, or buy a new pc? Do I have to buy another copy? This has gone way too far. You are punishing your long time customers.
I was so upset at the time that I immediately asked for my money back. I was given a phone number to request a refund. I called and I was given the address to send the software to. I was about to send the software to you for a refund when I thought that since I have had years of enjoyment from your previous flight sims that you deserve one final chance to make this right.

I am asking that you do what ever it takes to take the number of times I can install this game off of my copy. If you do not help in in this situation I will be forced to not only return this copy to you for a full refund, but I will never buy any future versions. I still have all of my older versions and I will just use those. Even though you are the best non-military flight sim available, there are still other good flight sims on the market.

I had the chance to briefly play the new x version and from what I have seen so far it is awesome. I can't wait to have the chance to play this sim with my joystick instead of using the keyboard for controls. I hope that you are willing to make this happen.

Thank You
Mark Todd

Here is their response.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Customer Service.

We are sorry that your experience with our Service was less than acceptable. We will be forwarding your comments to the appropriate Microsoft group, which will use your feedback when planning and evaluating future enhancements.

Mark, if you have additional suggestions for improvements, please send us mail again.

Thank you for using Microsoft Products and Services.

Sanal

Microsoft Online Customer Service Representative

If you have any feedback about your Online Customer Service experience, please e-mail my manager, Naveen Kolli, at ocsmgrs@microsoft.com

They didn't even totally read my email.

Here's what I found on their web page.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927007

Q4: How many times can I activate the product?

A4: There is no limit to the number of times that you can activate the software product on the same computer. For example, you can remove and re-install or re-activate the product any number of times. An additional activation is provided so that you can remove and re-install the product on the same computer or on a different computer. See the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for more information. The EULA is located in the following folder:

Am I wrong for thinking that with the amount of money this game costs that I should be able to put it on both my pc's?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Microsoft has now pushed me too far. First I paid almost a $1000 for a PC.

Well there's your first problem... But that's another story.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A4: There is no limit to the number of times that you can activate the software product on the same computer. For example, you can remove and re-install or re-activate the product any number of times. An additional activation is provided so that you can remove and re-install the product on the same computer or on a different computer. See the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for more information. The EULA is located in the following folder:

The bolded part is vital. It's something so easily overlooked, but that's their basis. Install it all you want! But if you change and hardware, or we're under the impression that you may be trying to install this on a different machine, we'll deny you.

Reminds me of Starforce. Just FYI, they probably installed some other malware along with it that's watching what you type. Your discontent has been noted and a group of assassins has been sent your way. You may want to scrutinize your toilet before sitting down ever again. You may want to give up on toilets all together (unless you buy Microsoft © brand TP.)

Whenever I run in to a EULA I don't agree with, I don't give the people my money. If it's possible I'd return the game. Then you could even buy it again and install it on your desktop.

I believe in paying money for goods, but wretched EULAs like this one is the sort of thing that makes me want to circumvent them. I'm not advocating piracy or anything (no, I'm not, really.)

EULAs have become as big of a part of parchases for me as the actual software. I had a blast with the BF 2142 demo. I contemplated buying the game until I heard about the spyware it came packaged with. Long story short, they install something with the game (but they warn you about it, so it's "fair") that watches what you look at on the internet so it can deliver pertinant in-game advertisements.

If you haven't ever heard of it, look up starforce. It's an atrocity, a true affront to man.

I found that the folks over at Stardock rock. They've published such games as Galctic Civ II (arguably the best 4X game of all time.) They say "go ahead, install out software on your machins as many times as you like, we wont bother you. Just don't have everyone in the office using on copy, buy a couple if you want to do that." lol

And on a semi-tangental note: If you're looking for some good, free software, there's open source (free) programs available that work just as well or better than the things you pay big bucks for. Let me know if you have any specific needs and I'll see if I have anything for the occasion.

Best of luck dealing with a CRAPPY customer service. Happens to the best of us. Doesn't it just chap your rear end when it's so apparent that they didn't even read your email?
angry.gif

Back when I worked tech support for Microsoft, I had fun making happy customers. We had tools that allowed us to send free software, any kind, to customers so we could have "happy, satisfied customers". Many of my fellow techs, were not so inclined, but I really liked to do for customers what I would want tech support to do for me. Needless to say, I send out lots of free software.

@ Joseph
I wish there are some guys like you at Microsoft, but I nerver found
rock.gif

That sucks but that's generally the case with any software program. They allow you one or maybe two installations and that's it. It sucks considering how much you pay for software but they want to make sure you aren't handing it out to all your buddies.
sad.gif

Joseph, they must have fired you because you were being so unmicrosoftlike.

Besides I'm not asking for free software or anything else, they were paid nearly $100 for it. I just want what I paid for.

I think i want to try this flight simulator. dunno though, sounds like a rip off, i get upset the same thing happens with starcraft a blizzard product, along with alot of their programs. Its not fair, but when it comes to a product as expensive as yours. I think that e-mail responce was computer generated, but they just clicked a button inserted youre name after they read it and forwarded it to who they thought could handle the situation.

Hope every thing works out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We are sorry that your experience with our Service was less than acceptable.
That's the understatement of the year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Mark, if you have additional suggestions for improvements, please send us mail again.
Wasn't that the point of your original email?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thank you for using Microsoft Products and Services.
You're not welcome?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Here's what I found on their web page.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927007

Q4: How many times can I activate the product?

A4: There is no limit to the number of times that you can activate the software product on the same computer. For example, you can remove and re-install or re-activate the product any number of times. An additional activation is provided so that you can remove and re-install the product on the same computer or on a different computer. See the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for more information.
Was this anywhere in the installation portion of the manual? I think that would be a helpful addition to future installation publications or a suggestion that I would think Microsoft would have put into action already. However, I am not surprised, and actually knew exactly what your problem was when I first read "I installed on a laptop..."

I do think that they should be able to make an exception since you have taken so much time to call and if you assured them that you uninstalled it from the other computers. I'm not sure logistically how all this works, but I would recommend that avenue in the future.

Best luck dealing with people who could care less and still make a buck.

xvart.

It would feel so much better if they would say what they really mean.

"F off we already have your money"

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ Jan. 05 2007,7:44)]Joseph, they must have fired you because you were being so unmicrosoftlike.

Besides I'm not asking for free software or anything else, they were paid nearly $100 for it. I just want what I paid for.
Actually they sent my job to India.

The customer satisfaction tools also permit creating additional installation codes for any software product. The product code is on the installation CD/DVD.

Far be it for me to support the Evil Empire but since a cursory glance at the responses all seem to come from the same side....

We (meaning consumers/customers) have helped push software companies in this direction by installing the software on all of the computers in the house, then loaning it to a friend to do the same & their friend & on & on.....

Ask to speak to the senior tech guy or whomever is in charge and demand some service, but do be nice about it. be firm but friendly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Jan. 05 2007,2:49)]Ask to speak to the senior tech guy or whomever is in charge and demand some service, but do be nice about it. be firm but friendly.
I did that. 4 times already. I talked to Joesphs replacement and his supervisor. They just repeating the policy that Bill Gates (Satan) has trained them to say. Everytime Enkur (no lie that was really the supervisors name) would tell me their policy I would say but that's not fair. Then he would repat their ripoff policy and I would say but that's not fair. This went on for about five mins. Then Enkur broke the cycle by saying "Is there anything else I can help you with?"
I said "Yes you can help me install software that I paid for on my pc.
Then he repeated the policy and I repeated but that's not fair.

I bet they hate us in India, LOL

wow! I'm sorry that that happened Ozzy. I've personally never bought a game for that much money before, but I'm sure that It's a bummer
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ], i get upset the same thing happens with starcraft a blizzard product, along with alot of their programs

You play starcraft? I love that game, along with Warcraft
smile.gif

thats tough, but unfortunately that is microsoft's business model on pretty much every single product of theirs. owning a copy of software isn't the same as owning the rights to install it on multiple machines. else we'd all get away with borrowing software from friends, and the company wouldn't make a dime.

it is a single machine installation that you purchased, and there is nothing any customer service rep can do about it. you can always tell them to cancel your laptop installation and give you a new key for the desktop.

also, Bill Gates isn't anywhere near half as satanic as most oil company executives are. he may not be a saint, but lets give credit where it is due - you can thank him for making the PC a common man's tool.

They wanted to do the same thing with Vista, but eventually had to backdown.

At the end of the day, you can use the refund to buy another copy, which is a work around but is an inconvenience. Anyone pirating the software could do the same thing, or download the program for free illegally off the web if they know where to look. Which at the end of the day makes the whole system ludicrous and ineffective for all concerned.

Yeah can't you just return it any say it didn't work? If you have the receipt then it shouldn't be a big deal.

Call them back. Tell them you have recently upgraded some components on your computer (such as a new motherboard and larger hard drive) and that you had to reformat, reinstall, etc. Also when they ask how many computers it is installed on, tell them one. That is a major thing. They probably think you have given a friend a copy or what not even though that isn't the case. I don't see how they can deny giving you an activation if you tell them that. Yes, it is stretching the truth, but their tactics in my opinion are not right.

Check out OpenOffice it's an open source/freeware office suite. It may not have all the wizards and templates that MS Office has but the wordprocessor and spreadsheet can hold their own against Microsoft.

I thought capslock would have chimed in now with the Bill Gates/capslock software mogul perspective.  Anyway, I think the industry's point of view is that you're buying the installation, not the disk.  So expecting to buy one copy and install it on two separate computers is like buying a car and expecting Rolls Royce (remember, this is the Bill Gates/capslock perspective) to give you a car for your home and another car for your other home.  Plus a third for the island.

Back