What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

too warm

It's January 6; it's Connecticut; and it's a rainy 57 degrees at 7:30 am.  All my Neps and orchids have been out soaking it up and, by the time I bring them in later today, they'll have spent nearly two full days outside.

Last night, I was hearing a familiar sound on the way home from work.  A distorted, clanging kid's tune.  Then I saw it - a Mister Softee ice cream truck.  An ice cream truck making its rounds in January in Connecticut.

I have nothing against my plants getting an unexpected outdoor vacation or being able to buy a King Cone in front of the house, but this is really ominous.

No kidding. 59 here in Westchester at 7:30

Good idea to put the plants out for a flush through. Just may have to do that myself.

I live near Niagara Falls (Canada) and no joke, my S.leucophylla in my outdoor bog is stil making nice new pitchers, and my S.purpurea are doing the same, althought the location of the thing makes it so the angle of the sun prevents enough light from getting on there to make really robust growth this time of year, there's still lots of it- I just hope that none of my Drosera hibernaculae open up, cos while I think the Sarrs could be okay, the Drosera will die if the expected, eventual cold snap happens...

Tho, like you fellows I too have been enjoying all the bonus water
biggrin.gif

Its been in the 50's, 60's and low 70's for weeks in atlanta. We havn't gotten a frost in weeks. in early december, we hit 80
oh.gif
. This is what happens when el nino is jacked up by global warming.

On a lighter note..
Manbearpig dosn't care who you are or what you have done. I'm super duper serial!

It was 80 here yesterday and we had summer like thunderstorms. I guess the sarrs here in the wild are the only ones that knows what time of year it is. They have been dormant since november.

I tried to talk my plants into going to sleep but it doesn't sem to be working...

It is totally ridiculous taht I am actually considering digging some of them up and putting them in the fridge here in the Great White North just to get them cold enough, no??

And I am also thinking about fridge stratification on some seeds I have, D.linearis and S.purpurea- the place where the D.linearis seeds came from SHOULD be under a foot of ice and have severe freezing winds crossing it by now....

I wouldn't worry too much about the sarrs. Sounds like you are haveing close to the temps they would get in the wild.

Here in zone 4 it has been so very abnormally warm, the snow here has barely had time to land before it melted. On new years. It also rained On new years. The snow was melting today from a big snowstorm that came from the Rockies. It is way too warm.

This freeze- thaw is killing  me. But atleast the marginally hardy garden plants will live if they arnt heaved out of the ground.

The snowbells are coming out....
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Jan. 06 2007,6:41)]Here in zone 4 it has been so very abnormally warm, the snow here has barely had time to land before it melted. On new years. It also rained On new years. The snow was melting today from a big snowstorm that came from the Rockies. It is way too warm.
Here in BV Colorado (zone 5), I got up to a balmy -5° and ~4" of yesterdays snow. At about 1:00 this afternoon the wind started rearranging it on the roads and still isn't satisfied with the results aas it is still blowing the drifts around trying to get them juusst right.
mad.gif
censor.gif

Here in Miami its been in the 80s every day and the 70s every night.  It kind of sucks because a couple of my Sarracenia are waking up way early.  Good thing I don't have any winter growing sundews that are very heat intolerant.  
rock.gif

And D. binata never even went dormant.  
nononono.gif

Some D. binata don't have to go dormant. They can if they have to, but they can grow year round in the right conditions.

I have two that are just coming out of a forced dormancy now.

-Ben

Several of my S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' have sent up blooms. but here in Zone 8b we have been having freezing mornngs up to 50's or 60' during the day.
The D. adelae hate this weather.
Lois

Back