What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show us what your plants do best!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xvart @ Jan. 07 2007,4:27)]Ooh ooh! I am going to love this thread! My favorite pictures are of bug deaths. I have one on my office computer from a vft that I'll have to add tomorrow! I can't wait!

xvart.
Here it is. Nothing too exciting, but this was the first time I saw the exoskeleton remains after I got my first vft some time ago.

Jeremiah - Do you know what kind of spider that is? Did you just happen upon it or did you release it to its death?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Jan. 07 2007,10:12)]I gotta admit too that bugs do seem to ruin the look a bit... or enhance it. I guess for me it balances eachother out.
I completely agree. Some pictures look hideous. Others capture the sheer marvel of the mechanics behind the plants. One plant I really don't like to see with bugs is a ping. I like the look of clean pings.

xvart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jeremiah - Do you know what kind of spider that is? Did you just happen upon it or did you release it to its death?
tis the deadly black widow. something dangerous to humans. killed by a plant. thats funny
smile.gif

Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Jan. 08 2007,10:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Jan. 07 2007,11:01)]For some reason, after I read Clint's post, I imagined a fat man without a shirt rubbing D. capensis leaves all over himself. Maybe I shouldn'ta posted that....
That's enough Coniine for you, buddy!

poke2.gif
Er, sorry. I should stop chugging S. flava pitchers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Jan. 08 2007,3:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jeremiah - Do you know what kind of spider that is? Did you just happen upon it or did you release it to its death?
tis the deadly black widow. something dangerous to humans. killed by a plant. thats funny
smile.gif

Alex
That's what I originally thought, but it just seemed a little out of place. Maybe because I have never seen a black window "in the flesh." How cool. I still want to know if he just stumbled upon the black window or released it to the plants for a great photo op. I can't imagine anyone would release a pet. Maybe it was caught elsewhere?

xvart.

as a pet...onll if you got a great deal of space!. i found one and i put it in a mason jar and it made a big web. i made the huge mistake of feeding it a super worm.... she got huge! she then laid an egg sack. i had to burn it and then she laid ANOTHER ONE!. so i let her go in the woods. it was scary cause my mom was going to totally freak out!!
Alex

My parents say I can't have pet that can kill me.

God... it's like Nazi Germany! So many rules!

Here's a pic of a fly tasting my VFT.
181230498O306394555.jpg

Here's a Pic of my VFT tasting the fly
tounge.gif

181230548O552570524.jpg

laugh.gif

Hey guys.

Yeah it is/was a Black Widow.  I found it in the corner of my greenhouse and set it in the B52's pot and waited for it to crawl into a trap.

Here are more photos if you want to check them out go here and click on "Odd CP Photos"

-Jeremiah-

Here's an old picture of what D. slackii does to unsuspecting gnats:
D_slackii_3.sized.jpg

Capslock

Jeremiah, I would be willing to bet the Latrodectus Mactans (black widow) ended up taking the leaf with it. For me, every time I feed one a black widow, the leaf rots. Since the "widow" is such a rotten neighbor, that may have something to do with it! LOLOL!

Hey Bugs how are you doing?

I was a little surprised how well the VFTs handled the Black Widow. I found three in the span of about a week this fall and all were feed to my B52s and not one hurt the plant or killed a trap.

Thanks
-Jeremiah-

Ooh the carnage! Poor black widow, should have let her escape.
I posted this in the sundew forum, but for anybody that missed it, here it is again.
redcap_fly.jpg

Ok this one takes the cake....

On a field trip at the ICPS Conference 2006 I stumbled upon a S. purpurea that had caught a live salamander.

2006-6-5_ICPS_Meeting_811dsfsdg.jpg

2006-6-5_ICPS_Meeting_795dsfdsg.jpg

2006-6-5_ICPS_Meeting_814.jpg

2006-6-5_ICPS_Meeting_827.jpg

-Jeremiah-

Yay! You saved it from certain doom!

xvart.

edit: he is kind of cute!

Hmm ohmm lol well let just say that is not the same salamander
down.gif

sad.gif
. I just left the little guy where I found him, I would not take the zebra from the lions mouth so how could I take the S. purpurea prey...  No, I really did feel sorry for the cute little guy afterwards.

-Jeremiah-

If it makes you feel better, I bet he could have got out if he wanted. He's probably gone by now
smile.gif

This one time I hit a toad with a weed eater when I was clearing the bog and I felt HORRIBLE! I just nicked his gland though and he hopped away. I felt SO bad! I hope he's still alive. I bet he is.

lol, Salamanders will lay egg's in S. pupurea's in the wild, usualy they get digested though.
biggrin.gif

This photo did not turn out well. Not enough light. The golden hour might be great for taking photos of supermodels but not CPs. I should have used the flash. You can barely make out the the head and thorax (indicated by the arrow) of a gnat or flying ant stuck on my Drosera capillaris x rotundifolia. This is an older leaf, the tentacles never closed up on the insect so now there is a dead gnat hanging there.

bug1.jpg

Here's a slightly better picture. The insect wasn't moving around as much so you can almost make out the legs.

bug2.jpg

Back