What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show us what your plants do best!

Finch

Whats it to ya?
Yes this is a topic for all those pictures of your plants with prey, catching/ in the process of being caught, digesting etc. Those insect coverd sundew leaves. Looking into the pitcher plant. The remains of your flytrap’s last meal. We want to see them all!

Ooh ooh! I am going to love this thread! My favorite pictures are of bug deaths. I have one on my office computer from a vft that I'll have to add tomorrow! I can't wait!

xvart.

I took these just now.

D. capensis 'Giant' baby (thanks Clint!!!!) Caught this gnat by itself today:
dscn2551.jpg

Somehow-in-focus-leaf of D. scorpioides (bloodworm):
DSCN2552.jpg

VFT from a while ago:
vft26.jpg

And my beastly S. purpurea ssp. purpurea:
waspdeath.jpg

-Ben

Yeah, it'll be a real killer soon
smile.gif

Heh, I'll have to tame it.

How big does it get?

-Ben

Funny you should start this topic, I just stepped in from taking some photos.

Since the humidity outdoors was close to what it was in my tank, I gave my plants (Drosera) an outing while I did some minor cleaning on the tank.

My Drosera capillaris x rotundifolia caught a little gnat or something. I took a couple of photos, I was hoping to do a time lapse sequence as I have my camera setup for that but unfortunately the insect got caught on an older leaf that doesn't seem to be very responsive.

Time will tell but I'm running out of light unless I set up the flash which doesn't have the connector for time lapse control.

D. Capensis 'Albino'
IMG_0121.jpg

D. adelae
IMG_0118.jpg

Alex

Good topic idea!
smile.gif

Heres my Venus Lizardtrap:
vlt02.jpg

And I posted this one in another topic, but Ants love my N. rafflesiana and the raff loves 'em back!
raffant.jpg

It also seems to have a taste for roaches..  
bigsmile.gif

*EDIT*
Almost forgot, using teamwork some D. burmannii were able to take down a damselfly:
burmannii.jpg

bravo! I wish that I only had a working camera!

cry.gif

JRFxtreme any pics of that lizard when the trap opened?
bigsmile.gif

I wish, weird thing though, I looked for it a couple days later and the lizard and trap had disappeared. I have found baby lizard skeletons inside dead traps before though.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Jan. 07 2007,6:31)]Heh, I'll have to tame it.

How big does it get?

-Ben
about 1.5-2x the size of a normal one. They make big stems, too.

As for feeding, I like to use fertilizer on all my plants. Bugs are too... buggy... and the carcases ruin the asthetics imo.

Except for the temperate genera in the bog. They fend for themselves.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As for feeding, I like to use fertilizer on all my plants. Bugs are too... buggy... and the carcases ruin the asthetics imo.

Oh, come on! That's the best part! Seeing all of the plant's past victims.

Man I wish I had a working camera!

You really think so? I think a plant looks best clean. All those tentacles.. that's hot.

What is the proper term for tentacles? "stalked glands?"

I like hairy sticky plants.

I LOVE TRICHOMES!

Lil' gnats usually seem to disappear after they get digested, and so does bloodworm and stuff, but huge house flies are kinda ugly, so after they're done digesting, I just take off the carcass.

For some reason, after I read Clint's post, I imagined a fat man without a shirt rubbing D. capensis leaves all over himself. Maybe I shouldn'ta posted that....

-Ben

that D. Capensis 'Albino' is superb? Is that the D. capensis 'alba narrow leaf' ?

Great picks all. Drosera36 you always seem to have a pic or two to show. Awesome

I gotta admit too that bugs do seem to ruin the look a bit... or enhance it. I guess for me it balances eachother out.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]that D. Capensis 'Albino' is superb? Is that the D. capensis 'alba narrow leaf' ?
i really have no idea. it came as a hitch hiker in one of peters pots. but its got those pink glands and white flowers.
Alex

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Drosera36 @ Jan. 07 2007,11:01)]For some reason, after I read Clint's post, I imagined a fat man without a shirt rubbing D. capensis leaves all over himself. Maybe I shouldn'ta posted that....
That's enough Coniine for you, buddy!

poke2.gif

Back