Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I Smell...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]that may be true Ozzy but the bad effects are only a problem for us and us alone. the rest of the natural world has been through swings before and will weather them just fine, sure some specilized species may die off but it is the normal course of things. in the actual large scheme of things we cant screw things up enough to be absolutly devistating for anything but our species. when we are gone nature will continue on with out so much as a second thought about us. i cant stand ppl screaming that we are screwing up nature cause we arent other than in localized incidents. any b*tching about us sending the world down the toilet is purly selfish cause in the end its our own skin that we care about not some endangered mouse on some remote African mountain top.
    This shows a incomplete understanding of the concept. There is absolutely no evidence that it will effect only us, and secondly, yes NATURE goes on, but on the species specific level, dramatic and irreversible changes happen. Mountain species are particularly at risk, as are reptiles who have tempeture sex determination

Carbon dioxide traps heat. That is a fact. Before industrialization, the concentration of carbon dioxide in the air was approximately 260 to 280 ppm. Since the extensive use of fossil fuels, this amount has increased rapidly. From a 25 year periodstarting in 1958, the concentration f carbon dioxide increased from 315 ppm to more than 340 ppm and it continues to rise. did you realize it does not take 10,000 years to come out of an ice age? This argument assumes that because it was colder in the past, it will be warmer in the future because thats the way the world works. Newsflash. According to climatological data, that isnt how the world works. Interglacial periods are periods of relative stability.

Quote[/b] ]The global annual temperature for combined land and ocean surfaces is expected to be very close to the record global temperature that was established in 1998 under the influence of an extremely strong El Niņo episode. There has been no such El Niņo event in 2005, but rather, unusual warmth across large parts of the globe throughout the year

Also there has been no El Niņo effect this year according to the NOAA SEE HERE, so this cannot be blamed on el nino!
    that makes no logic

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah in the grand scheme it's irrelevent. The earth will be destroyed anyway faaar in the future.

It's really nice. We are born of stardust and oneday we will become stardust again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes everything cannot last forever, so anything between now and then is irrelevernt. Ill die eventually, so i will go @#$% up my life now. Sorry clint, but that argument just does'nt make sence
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny saw the weather channel describing el nino just this weekend

as are reptiles who have tempeture sex determination

love that argument............Finch, please sit and think a minute just how long crocodilians have been on this planet, they are very temperature dependent for the sex of their eggs.........they have been around what? well over 100 million years.......through how many warming and cooling cycles and are still going strong. if your going to use that argument please actually sit and think about it for a minute and tell me why they are still on this planet if small changes in temps are supposed to wipe them out when they currently populate every continent but antactica and europe and they have only been out of europe for maybe the last 5 million years
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, then that the NOAA is the athority on these things, being the top scientific body and all, and not the weather channel.

The brothers Island tuatara lives on a small rocky island- with black rocks. The recent population estimate has found 75% males in the most recent generations, related to rising temperatures. I think my argument is valid.
    that makes no logic

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez finch. You sure do take what I say the wrong way. No one ever said you should screw up your life. I just said I hope I die in the end of the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh.

Well.... you are right. I do take what you say the wrong way alot. Its nothing against you... Sorry
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]The brothers Island tuatara lives on a small rocky island- with black rocks. The recent population estimate has found 75% males in the most recent generations, related to rising temperatures. I think my argument is valid.
    your using an example of a very primitive reptile, infact one of the last surviving examples of that particular family of reptiles(only 2 species currently), a critter that was for all intents and purposes destained to be wiped out even if man wasnt in the picture?

ok......lets run with that, being that New Zealand has only been around for about 25 million years cuts the time table a bit but i think i can work with it. these criters seemend to have survived just fine when there was a layer of ice over a mile thick where i am currently sitting makes me think they can handle temp swings just fine within reason as it was within the last 3 million years that it was the case. given their isolated location and general long lives current birth rates of 25% females or less probally have very little effect long term on the species and more than likely, infact almost definatly have happened in the past. i would think rats on the island are much more of a worry that current temps anyways.

using isolated populations on remote islands is a very poor way to attempt to win an arguement as these populations are considered fragile even without man in the picture.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast