Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: I Smell...

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go watch An Inconveniant Truth. I thought it was pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Jan. 08 2007,4:29)]Go watch An Inconveniant Truth. I thought it was pretty good.
    called propoganda..............while i havent felt like spending the $3 to rent it ive been told its entertaining if you know anything. IIRC the number one thing that sticks out is the graph they show for earths temps is flatlined untill you hit 100 years ago and looks nothing like the heart attack EKG graphs like what Finch has been posting here which are prolly alot closer to the truth. its like Michael Moores stuff..........sure its entertaining but dont base an argument on it as its full of more holes than swiss cheese
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the REAL travesty here is why our video store charges $5 and yours charges $3!

Lol, and you're right about the graphs. They do like like a heart attack on an EKG machine lol. I like Michael moore.. but I can't help feeling that if he really cared all that much he would donate all the profits to whatever charity fights for his causes. His movies are most definately entertaining. Nothing funnier than a hairy sweaty hippopotamus complain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just discovered this thread and only skimmed it, so I apologize for any repetition here.

Anyway, it's remarkable how the end of the political spectrum that claimed Iraq was an immediate nuclear threat doesn't accept the evidence of global warming. Why should we trust those that lied about Iraq to tell the truth about global warming? This isn't a slam on the people here, by the way, because they trusted what they were told. But, as the saying goes - fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

The evidence of global warming wouldn't mean much by itself, since we haven't gone beyond the scale of natural variation yet. But that's only because it takes time for the system to catch up with the changes we've been imposing on it. The physics of it says we're changing the earth in a way that will warm the earth and the only question is how much. The estimates range from mild to scary and it's a dangerous experiment to be running in our home.

As for the ability of life to survive change, a lot of that is because things move. As the climate warms, species move north or uphill. The species of the northern US were in the southern US 10,000 years ago. We move fast and so do other highly mobile species, but complete ecosystems can't. Red spruce forests have "migrated" to the upper northeast and Canada's Maritimes, plus high elevations further south in the Appalachians. Thats hundreds of miles of movement in ten thousand years. Red spruce ecosystems isolated at North Carolina mountain tops, of course, have nowhere else to go.

Without a doubt, insects will adapt to whatever comes. Not individual species, necessarily, but evolution is a powerful force in organisms with high reproductive rates. Their descendents will endure. But species with low reproductive rates, like us, might be in serious trouble.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never said the world wasnt warming, my argument started over how much we have to do with it. Finch have i stated anywhere that the earth wasnt warming?
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a lot of trouble figuring out this whole global warming conflict.

People will spend hundreds of billions of dollars on a war of questionable effectiveness to stop terrorists who might be able to kill off five million people in their craziest wildest dreams (even with pre-9/11 security in place).

They'll devote unbelievable amounts of time and resources to sustaining and spreading religions that will save them from hellfire which in all likelihood doesn't even exist.

But when a logical and scientifically-supported threat looms that can change the lives of all 6 billion of us in potentially dramatic and deadly ways, with some effects felt even by our very distant descendents... those same people who seem paranoid and reactionary toward just about everything respond with, "Pshaw. Silly tree-huggers."

They're barely even curious about it.

I just can't wrap my brain around it. Shouldn't this be right up their alley?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FACT: Earth is currently on a warming trend

THEORY: it is because of us and is going to be worse for critters than it is for us

the theory is what Finch and i have been debating
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... I think it's because of us. I think it'll be worse for the critters than it will be for us, for a little while.

My co2 tank isn't helping matter much, hehe. Neither is our diesel Ford F250 lmao!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast