User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Are my plants okay?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several VFT's in their respective small pots filled with moss and these pots are in a pan with distilled water. Moss covers it all so it looks like they are sticking out of normal ground cover.

A 60/100 watt fluourescent bulb is over them and is on from 0600 - 1700 daily. Temperature is about 67 with 40% humidity.

New leaves are growing, but the leaves with traps are dying faster the new ones are coming.

Sundews and pitcher plants are doing very well with this setup.

I have been spraying it all with a solution of hyd/peroxide to prevent mold and it looks mold free..

Any thoughts, ideas?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's dormancy time.

H2O2 should not be used to prevent mold. You should not have any fungi issues unless the growing environment is not in balance.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of light bulb do you have?
    Incadesant bulbs are no good for plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you skipping dormancy this year because the plants are new? If you have skipped dormancy before, then I suggest you provide it. There is still time.
    Although, the leaves dying quicker than new one's forming could be caused by something else...
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a bulb giving out the correct colour temperature. 6500 kelvins is good - a normal fluorescent gives out about 3000k I think and an incandescent even redder.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (tttman @ Jan. 09 2007,4:28)]I have several VFT's in their respective small pots filled with moss and these pots are in a pan with distilled water. Moss covers it all so it looks like they are sticking out of normal ground cover.
    What kind of moss? Sphagnum hopefully. Is it live Sphagnum, Long Fibered Sphagnum (dried Sphagnum) or Sphagnum peat moss?

If it's pure sphagnum peat moss VFT's don't like being waterlogged and pure peat moss retains a lot of water - I'd suggest letting the trays with the VFTs go dry before adding more water - add a 1/4" or so of water at most.

Sphagnum or LFS is much more airy so you're less likely to get bulb/root rot. A 1:1 mixture of peat:sand/perlite is recommended over pure peat.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another note:

The traps are usually closed 24 hours a day...

Regular sphag moss. It has some needles and other various debris. I did use white sand to mix it with the moss.

I do also have about 2' of water in the bottom...