What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cocaine, Meth and Chronic, oh my!

It only "makes you lazy" if you get the dirt weed that has a lot of another cannabanoid in it.

if were a talking truth here thats not quite right. while the use of the drug will not cause laziness, one of the subspecies/forms, indica, produces a "glue you to the seat type of stone" which can be confused with laziness if your smoking that all the time.........its a definate sit and do nothing type of a stone. the sativa strains arent quite like that and infact make some ppl quite hyper. alot of the strains out there, especially the popular ones are either a 50/50 mix of the two or up to around 80% sativa.........there are 100% strains of both around some of which are quite popular. when i was smoking pot(havent in over 5 years now) i much prefered the mostly indica varieties, they really mellowed me out and since i was usually looking for something to help me relax(alcohol doesnt do this for me) they were what i was after

This is very interesting Rattler and I learned something. See down here the dealers just know it is MJ, and if I would ask if it is this or that they would not know. They are not that educated down here. Now if I asked if it was sleepy time weed or if it was get up and do something weed then I might get an answer, but most of the time some folks are just peddling pot and have no clue what kind it is. Other than if it is regular (25 a quarter green) or mid grade (45+ a quarter) or some other thing like "hydro" or Purp that goes for up wards of 20 a gram or so.

The info Where I talked about different types having more THC vs the other active cannabanoid came from the book "Marijuana Growers Guide" that I read a few years ago, and just found the book again. I did try to grow it once upon a time, but round it was too stinky and too risky to grow in a trailer park. LMAO Plus my grow chamber didn;t ave enough lights and the wife would always turn off the lights that were in there because it was making the room hot. No not only were the lights not enough light the wife never let them stay on long enough.

EST. The thing is that I have seen "scientific studies" saying both things. Some say they do and some say they don't. In fact in lifescience web page I posted some links to there were articles there that argued both sides. If it is so detrimental to memory then why are they studying it for use with Alzheimer's patients? People with Alzheimer's are loosing their memory so why give them a drug reported to make people loose memory? So I will do some more research. I did read one last light but didn;t bring it here where a scientist thinks he figured out why you have memory loss during the high. I hope I can find it again. I didn't bookmark the site. He was studying THC as a possible drug for epilepsy. Memory was in there too because it had to do with the way the brain was firing the impulses. According to the study, I still have to try to find again, the scientist said that the area of the brain that controls memory. The Doctor that did the study says that THC makes that part of the brain fire its impulses out of sync causing the disruption in memory. He goes on to say that with a seizure the brain firing is too synced causing the convulsions. When I just tried to go and find the study again I could not find it, but I found other articles about THC and epilepsy. Some saying it is good others saying it is not.

No this leads me to commenting on Finch's post. You say
My only concern being that you may have discarded other studies that did not fit your view as 'government propaganda', if you mentioned 90% thats more than just propaganda. Still the information you have given seems sound
The issue is then I read a government site. Namely the Whitehorse something something.gov then go to another site that is almost a direct quote word for word I consider it propaganda. Since they are not siting any scientific studies anyway. I know some of what I posted did not have a scientific study attached to it either. So its all good.

In some recent research I have found scientific claims saying yes it was good for this then I find another study saying the exact opposite. So now we have to determine who has a better study then the others. Who did a better setup and better controls. It is a big can of worms really. It is tough to find someone who is truly neutral on the subject. It may be the case that MJ has no benefit what so ever, but the people using it state they feel better after using it. Why should we stop them, because they may feel good in the process?

The truth be told many scripts out there have FAR worse side effects than MJ. Lets take the Lamisil tablets to cure toenail fungus as an example. This drug was approved for use by our FDA. Now I am in Microbiology ATM and this is fresh on my mind. There is a reason fungus infections are hard to resolve. They are too much like us. It is hard to target a difference about them to kill them without killing ourselves too. The thing is If you take the pill form of lamisil you have a good chance of ruining your liver and kidneys just to cure a nasty toe fungus that is cosmetic. Sure it looks nasty, but you could live with it. Yet the FDA will approve the sale of lamasil pills to cure the toenail fungus that could potentially kill you. There are many other drugs that have severs side effects such as that, that although rare, can and still be fatal.

I just find it funny that the government will sit and make an herb, that has NEVER killed someone from taking it, illegal, but will allow for sale many prescription drugs that could potentially be fatal. Methadone is another example. How many people have died from taking the minimal dose for pain? I saw a report on the news that it is a lot. People taking it as prescribed by their doctor for chronic pain and then never waking up.

We can take the drugs given to people for epilepsy too. Those are barbiturates and they can have some profound permanent side effects on people when taking them for epilepsy. Then a lot of times they do not work that well, but there are reports of epilepsy patients who use cannabis to control their seizures rather well, but yet it is still illegal because they also feel good while taking it. They get the high from it. Woopty freeken doo.

I have personally went to school stoned and I still make A's and B's. So far, going to ASU I have made all A's and B's with ONE C. That C was in English 1102. I don't like English and do not like writing papers. I learned a lot, but I still don't like it. That is my ONLY c I have made in the time spent at this school so far. I am about to be a junior.

Not to mention the other aspects beside medicinal use. Hemp Jeans far outlast denim ANY DAY of the week. Hemp paper takes less caustic chemicals to make it white, and you get more paper per acre of hemp than you do per acre of trees. IIRC it was like 8 times the amount. Not to mention Cannabis also matures in one season where as trees mature in several.

If we are going to ban Hemp because of its potential for abuse then we need to ban Caffeine too. Look at how many people use and abuse caffeine. I am willing to bet it falls into every thing needed to fit the category of Schedule one or two. I haven't looked at it yet to compare so if you decide to do that then be my guest. Alcohol fits that as well. Yet its banning failed. There are other "drugs" in our everyday foods we eat and drink that make us feel good and do this that and the other that many people are addicted to.

The thing is people like to feel good. Be it from an adrenalin rush while skydiving, the thrill of a roler coaster, the joy of hiking, having a beer or three or a glass of wine if that is your desire. Why should people be denied the ability to smoke pot when there is mounds of evidence saying it does not make you crazy and is far less worse for you than many things out there. Heck people the air is supposedly bad for you, and in big cities I can see that being the case. Yet we are supporting the government in controlling what people do. Most pot smokers do it in the privacy of their own home. Or are like me smoke it in the parking lot of the club and walk in stoned so I don't have to spend money there to get a buzz from drinking.

I have smoked pot since I was 17 years old. I plan to continue to smoke pot off and on. I am contemplating joining NORML. I probably will, and I have also considered starting a GA chapter of NORML, but that I probably will not do because of some other things I am involved in. I am a rebel to a certain extent. Sometimes other factors force you to abstain from your true beliefs or you will not advance in this world. It is sad but true that people judge you before they know you.

I am just glad that most of you know me here and I consider all of you friends. So I am banking that folks will not hold the fact that I am Pro-pot doesn't jeopardize our friendship.

For information on the crack spiders b@#$h contact the Canadian wildlife service n Ottawa. LMAO I just looked at that after my post. Clint you do find the strangest things!!! That was ******* hilarious!!

EST. The thing is that I have seen "scientific studies" saying both things. Some say they do and some say they don't. In fact in lifescience webpage I posted some links to there were articles there that argued both sides. If it is so detrimental to memory then why are they studying it for use with alzeimers patients? People with alzeimers are loosing their memory so why give them a drug reported to make people loose memory? So I will do some more research. I did read one last ight but didn;t bring it here where a scientist thinks he figured out why you have memory loss during the high. I hope I can find it again. I didn't bookmark the site. He was studying THC as a possible drug for epilepsy. Memory was in there too because it had to do with the way the brain was fireing the impulses. According to the study, I still have to try to find again, the scientist said that the area of the brain that controls memory. The Doctor that did the study says that THC makes that part of the brain fire its impulses out of sync causing the disruption in memory. He goes on to say that with a sezure the brain fireing is too synced causing the convultions. When I just tried to go and find the study again I could not find it, but I found other articles about THC and epilepsy. Some saying it is good others saying it is not.

Exactly. The debates on marijuana are like many other debates in that there's some good scientific evidence for either side and smart people on either side of the debate. I'm not trying to assert the viewpoint that at all times marijuana = bad, just trying to present some information to make people realize that some of their ideas are being contested and that not a lot can be said with certainty.

As for the alzeimers, this memory is a stored in a different part of the brain AFAIK. People with this disease can forget conceopts like how to sit in a car or how to work their stove. The debate with marijuana has to do with debilitation of short-term memory retention. Marijuana is being used to try to treat a good number of illnesses out there, I ran in to some interesting articles out there. I'll see what I can reproduce without having a lawyer crawl down my throat. :p

I just find it funny that the government will sit and make an herb, that has NEVER killed someone from taking it, illegal, but will allow for sale many prescription drugs that could protentialy be fatal. Methidone is another example. How many people have died from taking the minimul dose for pain? I saw a report on the news that it is alot. People takeing it as prescribed by their doctor for cronic pain and then never waking up.

While your article states that there're no recorded case from marijuana overdose, that doesn't include factors such as: someone being given laced marijuana, someone driving or operating heavy machinery while intoxicated, someone subsequently doing another drug as a result of intoxication. So just because we don't know if anyone has ever ODed on it (which may be incorrect anyway, I'll need to do some research,) doesn't make it a harmless herb that's just here to heal the nations.

If we are going to ban Hemp because of its potential for abuse then we need to ban Caffine too. Look at how many people use and abuse caffine. I am willing to bet it falls into every thing needed to fit the catigory of Scedual one or two. I haven't looked at it yet to compair so if you decide to do that then be my guest. Alcohol fits that as well. Yet its banning failed. There are other "drugs" in our everyday foods we eat and drink that make us feel good and do this that and the other that many people are addicted to.

Relates to the above. I'd sooner see someone crash a car, have their substance laced, or do another more dangerous drug as a result of marijuana intoxication sooner than a coffee buzz. The argument remains as it has more many pages here: Yes, addication is bad; yes, people getting wasted off of anything is dangerous; yes, alcohol is legal; but does that still mean that we want to legalize another intoxicating substance?

Not trying to pick on you or your post, but it's the only response since my last post. hehe

So in summation: I think it's reasonable for people to be wary of legalization/decriminalization. You cannot say that there's no downsides to the drug (eg, many people need to do more and more of it and if they fail to get their fix, they fall in to deep depression, and heavy use of the substance can alter natural drives.)

Here's an idea: Teach kids about the difference between the plant grown for the fibers and the plant grown to smoke, legalize the plant grown for fibers, kids that don't pay attention try to smoke it and die from pesticide consumption. Everyone wins. :p

At the risk of being branded a pothead, I'll admit that I indulge in a nearly daily basis. I have for over 20 years now. I'm legally prescribed in California, so I'm not breaking any state laws, though the feds still seem confused as to their jurisdiction.

The effect on MY life has been dramatic. I went from a failing student and a lazy individual to a motivated, active, and engaged individual. Yes, this is the opposite effect than it has on most people. But for me, my grades went WAY up, I graduated from the University on time, and have been successful in business beyond my wildest imaginations. I don't like to think about what would have happened otherwise.

I don't have any grand philosophy about it - and am generally anti-drug. I don't see anything positive coming from using coke or meth, or from chronic drinking or smoking. I believe people should live healthy lives, with lots and lots of exercise, and proper eating habits (we Americans shovel unbelievable crap into our mouths). All I have is my own experience, and what I see around me. Smoking pot is extremely common out here - so there's no shortage of test subjects. And I know people who are the traditional "stoner", and I know pot smokers who are lets just say in elevated positions of extreme authority. It runs the gamut.

I've done my medical research and find very, very little problem with smoking pot. Look at this recent study, which alleviated one of my main concerns:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

(excerpt) "We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use," he said. "What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect."

Therefore, I see no rational basis for the prohibition, though I'm not prepared to make that statement for drugs in general, as I see crackheads and meth-heads every day (I live in the city) and it's not pretty. Not at all. Those drugs lead to NO good.

Capslock

So many posts lol. I used to get high almost every day at school and only once did my grades suffer. That day I took several Oxycontins and Xanax. lol, Don't remember much of that day but I remember the 30's and 40's I got the next day. I swear I answered them right I swear!

I've NEVER heard of pot for 25 a quarter. wow lol. You must have bad pot up there josh lol And hemp jeans might be good and last long, but do they feel good? I go comando, btw. I don't want to wear a potato sack. And yeah I loved the crack spider who thinks web building if for Suckas LMAO!

EST: you can spike drinks with GHB, rohypnol, etc. Really.. anything. If someone is stupid and gets themselves or someone else killed while driving or operator machinery, what does it matter what they were on? The point is they shouldn't have been doing it.

This is like in kindergarten. When a few kids act up recess is canceled for everyone and that's crap lol

Lol, drinking chronic? chronic is pot.. More power to you caps! I don't think you're a pothead. To be a pothead is someone who only smokes pot and they fail in everything else and you can't depend on them. For example, you can drink every day but that does not make you an alcoholic. I'm glad that you could confide in us. BUT, would you please elaborate, for atleast my benefit. Why are people getting arrested sometimes for using and growing? This baffles me. This is a very very grey area for some reason. It's legal, but it's been allowed to stew in controversy over exactly what's legal. I don't get what the problem is and why people are being punished for...following the law.

Lol, when my uncle had cancer I offered him some pot lol.

Hey does anyone watch Weeds? I LOVE that show! Can't wait for the new season!

You don't really need to use pesticides though.

I completely agree it can be bad, and it has its bad aspects! But like its been said their are worse drugs, their are worse addictions, worse things can happen. Now their are also different ways to ingest pot. So Saying smoking it kills you, can be true Smoke is just bad all around. We all can agree on that.

The thing is, it all comes down to Personal choice! People are trying to dictate what others do and judge them whether its right or wrong. You should teach kids about its Uses Both good, and "bad" as society puts it today.

I also had a friend who smoked 2-3 times a day, he Got Strait A's for most of his senior year and was never Bellow a B. This guy is very determined, and hard working. He is smart, and can support him self with out going to college (legally too) While he is on a tight budget his GF his having a baby. HE is a good guy and a hard worker. Cant say he is bad for getting stoned, while it was a mental addiction it didn't affect his life. So i guess i couldn't call it an Addiction

When I use the term addiction, i mean it makes him feel he needs to take it every day, and it affects the people around him.

Noo... Unless you smoke it like people smoke cigarettes then I can't see any problems. But smoking anything is bad for you, you are absolutely correct.

That brings me to another point. I wonder why no drugs directly cause cancer? I don't mean smoke, I mean directly cause it. You'd think meth would, wouldn't you?

I agree... but the problem is that when people to to dictate other's it's because they believe it's for the good of everyone or that they will somehow be harmed by it. It's a bunch of crap, really. MJ is not going to hurt society. Look at canada. Look at California (might aswell be legal, everyone knows it's widespread ) look at the netherlands.

Even in Alaska it's been decriminalized and you can use it in the privacy of your own home. The only problem there is that to enjoy the benefits legally, you have to live in Alaska hehehehe

The only drug I regret taking with all of my soul is nicotine. There's no reason to take it except for mild appetite suppression and that's the only good side effect I can think of. It's pure addiction. Doesn't even get you high!

hey theirs nothing wrong with living in Alaska, you get 2000 dollars a year after Citizenship! (well on average it is usually around 2000). Alaska is beautiful, it has lots of wonderful things!

Nicotine does get you high but it only does it like once... then its out of you're system...

"hydro" sucks unless the person growing knows what they are doing. its a very easy way to screw things up, however its also how you grow monster plants...........taste wise, organically grown in the soil is much better but you dont wind up with huge buds. THC content wise it has to do with the particular strain and the individuals skills on the growing. those who do it right have a microscope and other such equipment and when getting close to harvest they are checking the glands every other day and letting the plant tell them when its time versus dumping ferts in as much as possible trying to force huge yields. if a hydro plant isnt properly flushed a few weeks before harvest you wind up with a smoke thats very harsh on the lungs.

as far as "purp" its more of a marketing ploy, there are a few purple strains but most if grown outside and experiance some cool weather before harvest will get a purple tint or in some cases turn the whole plant purple. the color has nothing to do with THC content, mostly its the plants responce to cool weather. care wise the purple strains just need more light is all.

as far as smoking, dont have to smoke pot....................all it takes to extract THC from a pot plant is water and some mesh bags.........you make it into a high grade hash with which you can either bake with or even place in capsules and take in pill form...............no need to smoke anything.............if i were to grow the stuff this is the route i would take

That MJ users are on terraforums and stuff is not new news. I dont have any problem with you wether you do or not, as i like ya'll as people it doesnt make me think less of you. If we shunned you because of it, it would be pretty small of us, in my opinion.

I never said that any body here was doing it but, culture as a whole just disproves it.

actually given that every state that a medical MJ bill has been on the ballot has usually passed it 2-1 i would say the public as a whole doesnt have a problem with it, Big Brother does

as far as smoking, dont have to smoke pot....................all it takes to extract THC from a pot plant is water and some mesh bags.........you make it into a high grade hash with which you can either bake with or even place in capsules and take in pill form...............no need to smoke anything.............if i were to grow the stuff this is the route i would take

Auctually i've done that.. I didn't use water, I used rubbing alcohol and the hash (well really hash oil) was really, really potent. Smoke was really really mellow, too. I used alcohol because I figured the water would only remove water-soluble tar and crap.

And it doesn't have that dead-ring give away smell like plain bud does, but it was still stinky (in a good way lol)

ice water works quite well from what im told and is far safer than using alcohol, however its slightly different process IIRC

I never thought i'd say this to you, but thank you for bringing me closer to perfecting my hash recipe

:-))

Good show! I watched the entire thing.

Yea me too, i liked the veiw points from BOTH sides.... they both had lots of good reasons. But no one ever really touches on the fact that its personal choice? Yea the 60's wasnt a good time for it.. but still it ruins it for every one ealse.

W/e though, if it was taken in more private settings, who knows maybe it would still be around... silly hippies..

The one guy on there I just wanted to smack. The goofy dude with glasses that was against it. His language was too judgemental for me. I kept asking myself, who give him the right to judge anyone for their actions. LSD is also another drug that shows no sign of addiction and not something people would kill for like crack or heroin. The only thing is you could get hurt because of taking to much and then doing something stupid. Everything I read about it says it is not that bad and you do not go insane doing it. I was at work so I couldn;t read uch about it with all the filters and all, butit seems to me that this is another drug that got alot of bad press.

One thins I did read though is that the halucinations seen with LSD are the colors and geometric shapes fluttering around and trailers and all that jazz. When I took it I was expecting to see real halucinations. Like trees that were not there and things like that. But come to think of it I did see the shapes and face morphing in the mirror. I do see the shapes and things with pot too, but I discount it because if I sit and stare at something long enough sober and with a clean system I can still see the shapes start to move and stuff. That is why when you said you halucinated on pot I discredited it because I was thinking about a halucinatin of seeing say flowers or a tree that wasn;t there not the shapes and things. That is a normal part of my life. When I look at the tile floor in the locker room bathroom I see shapes jumping out at me and the grout will sometimes kinda wiggle or look like a row of lights running one after another, but I have to stare at it for it to do that. Maybe I am just messed up in the head. And no it is not from the drugs because this was going on BEFORE I started doing anything.

Back