What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World's largest flower gains its place in the phylogenetic tree of life.

joossa

Aklys
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,243126,00.html
The stinky heavyweight of the floral world never quite fit in with the other plants, until now.
And oddly, a group of scientists have decided that the bizarre desk-sized bloom belongs to a plant family made up mostly of teeny blossoms.

It’s an interesting read. I'd like to smell the flower. After I looked up additional images of the flower, it reminded me of that one pokemon from when the series started back in the 90’s (don’t remember the name at the moment…).

PS-Sorry the news article is from Fox News (I’m not a big fan, if you catch my drift…)

And what is wrong with fox besides them being Fair and balanced? I cannot stand cnn or any of the others because they are so terribly one sided! Not to mention the news people sannot talk without saying um and ahh 50000 times. That is why I couldn't stand to watch Horaldo(sp). Since he couldn't speak without saying um and ahh 50K times either. I will go read the article now.

Just got done reading the article and did some research. Here is another article that you might approve of the location.
http://radio.weblogs.com/0105910/2004/01/14.html

Im gonna squash this right now because we don't need a Fox debate. Everyone needs a choice, and fox isnt or him for reasons that are his buisness. 'Fair and balanced' is a matter of opinion. Your political veiws are affect how you see 'fair and balanced'.

Wasn't aware you were an undercover mod Finch. :hail:

Sigh. Im sorry i was bossy. You raise a point, nepG. What should i have done?

Minded your own business instead of answering for him. :nono: :poke:

:-)) I have to harass you Finch because it is just too easy today. Even if you were a mod you tend to step in and fight others battles for them and try to "take charge" of the debate on hand. Mods are supposed to guide a conversation that gets out of hand. NOT dictate a conversation. If it evolved into a debate on fox then that is what is evolves into. Since in all actuality he is the one who brought the topic of fox into the thread in the first place. He made the dual topic post to start with.

If you noticed I even brought in a non fox related URL to give the same and more info about his subject for his viewing pleasure.

OK no more, I've chatted with Finch and we are all squared away now! Just read the topic on the website if you want a good read on Rafflesia arnoldii.

Is it just me... or does Amorphophallus titanum look a lot bigger?

Maybe they are going by weight.

Technically A. titanium is not the world's largest flower. It is the world's largest Arum. :-D

So that giant thing isn't a flower? I thought arums were flowering plants.

It's an unbranched inflorescence or group/cluster of flowers.

OOOOH! I did not know that! Thanks!

Yup you learn something new every day don;t you Clint. He he he Even I knew that. LOL

A cluster of a bunch of little flowers.

Since in all actuality he is the one who brought the topic of fox into the thread in the first place. He made the dual topic post to start with.
The reason I posted the Fox News statement was to avoid the possibility of anyone coming up with any conclusions regarding my political affiliation. I would usually not use Fox News for information source regarding a science issue, but I came upon the article in the middle of the night and did not want to look for another source. The topic was meant to be focused on the flower and NOT Fox News. The statement was for clarification and nothing else…

Back on topic… I always thought the Corpse Flower was the biggest. Are Amorphophallus titanium and Titan arum related?

A. titanium and "Titan Arum" are the same plant right? One is the scientific name, the other is the common name.

I would assume but aren't their a couple of plants in that species?

carnivorkid probably knows since he grows them. Maybe he'll chime in sometime. I've been wanting to grow them, regardless of the smell.

It's funny how flowers sometimes go from smelling really good to smelling really bad. I s'pose it gets the job done but imagine a giant flower that smelled like... fruit punch! or something. :D (<3 fruit punch)

I dunno what people have against Fox (I don't watch their news and stuff), but I'll refrain from asking is I don't want to unintentionally start another debate.

Edit: Yay post 888!

Last edited:
The finding could someday have horticultural uses, that is, if scientists pinpoint a gene or set of genes for gigantism.

"You can imagine isolating these genes," Davis said. "And horticulturalists would just love this stuff. You could make all of these horticulture monstrosities and roses that were 10 feet in diameter or something like that."

Venus Cat traps anyone? :-D

It wouldn't be able to close very fast if it were that big,assuming it could close, but it would still be TOTALLY awesome.

I wouldn't mine 8 foot tall 3 foot wide Sarracenia :) If they did engineer one like that it would catch birds and squirrels and bats!

S. purpurea that could hold 5 gallons of liquid per pitcher! cool!

Drosera 2 foot wide!

:O A sarr that you could SWIM IN!

...wait...........

Back