What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awkward.....

I think he's saying they aren't Christians because they distort the word of Christ so thoroughly that they don't deserve the title. Anyone can call himself a Christian, but the label means nothing unless the person's beliefs meet certain criteria.

The disagreement is in the criteria.

Bingo! Just because they happen to use the Bible does not make them Christian because they distort Jesus Christ and other scriptures in the Bible. If I stand here and claim something of Jesus Christ and you go look in the Bible and it says something clearly different then there is a problem. Of course they can claim to call themselves Christians, but those who know the truth and read the Bible know they aren't Christians. They are a cult because they distort the word of God and go against the teachings of Christ.

I'm not trying to single out JW's or Mormons, I don't hate them or want to bash them. I'm clearly defining what they are and they are not followers of Christ.

Do you consider George W. Bush, Ralph Reed, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, etc. to be followers of Christ? I'd say they're further from the path than any of the Witnesses I've met. But if they want to call themselves Christian, who am I to say they aren't?

How come the JW's, Mormons, Moonies, etc... never, almost never come to wherever I have lived? I've only had one come to my door and I think I frightened them away. Maybe it was that Kingdom of the Cults book I brought out.....

What's a moonie?

Moonies are followers of Sun Myung Moon and his Unification Church. I won't call them a cult, but most people would. They seemed to be in the news more often when I was a kid (1970s) and there used to be lots of lurid stories of parents hiring people to deprogram their adult children who had fallen under the sway of the Moonies. There was probably a good dose of urban myth in that. They seem to be less newsworthy these days, except that they've bought newspapers, buildings, schools, etc. and supposedly are in tight with the Republican Party.

Oh I guess like Hare Krishnas :) lol.

Lol. Reminds me of Female Trouble. What a good movie!

"Hare Krishna... Krishna ramah! You can't kill love mother! Krishna IS love!"

I have had both JWs and Mormons come to my house, and they both left almost as soon as they came (on their own accord).

I'm however afraid that I might have brought the 'wrath of the Protestants' upon my family, because I had a talk with this one Protestant kid and he seemed like he really wanted to tell others about his religion.
*GULP*

No, the Moonies are very different from the Hare Krishnas. The Moonies are more political and perhaps somewhat criminal and have been accused of intimidating people trying to leave. One famous incident involved leaving a rattlesnake in someone's mailbox. I don't know if it really happened.

The Hare Krishna movement seems mostly harmless; wearing robes and handing out books. I don't get to airports much anymore, but that's where you'd frequently see them 20+ years ago. The Atlanta airport was always thick with them and they'd try to talk me into coming to their Atlanta house where they'd serve big meals & philosophy to try to get converts. I must have had that insecure 20-year old look about me because I drew them like flies to sh*t.

That's part of being a Christian is "witnessing"

The Atlanta airport was always thick with them and they'd try to talk me into coming to their Atlanta house where they'd serve big meals & philosophy to try to get converts.

OH yeah I've seen them in a booth when I was in the Atlanta AP a few months back. They didn't offer me a meal though, the only thing they offered was to sign me up for a credit card.

One famous incident involved leaving a rattlesnake in someone's mailbox

Wonder if I signed up with them and left, would they leave me a rattle snake in my mail box. I hope they bring me a 8ft eastern diamondback, that would be so cool.

Last edited:
Back