What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awkward.....

Well Ozzy I think some Christan's are morons too. Blind faith is stupid in my opinion. Some beliefs are idiotic to say the least.

From the Webster dictionary.
1 usually offensive : a mildly mentally retarded person
2 : a very stupid person

I was using it like the second definition meaning. I believe to follow something on blind faith is stupid in these days and times. I can understand it back thousands of years ago when no one knew any better, but in these times it is a different story. There are many things that pertained to then and do not apply now, but people do not know how to let things go. The blood issue just cracks me up. Also from what I was told by the Doctors and people that work with the JW. They seem to think the blood is bad if it leaves the closed system of the body. Not because of disease. That is my understanding, and the only reason they allow the use of the heart lung machine is because it is an extension of the bodies closed loop circulation.

Again I will say. What do I know I am just a confrontational Tard today.

Andrew yes you can go and donate blood for yourself before surgery. When you do that they let you donate a little more frequently than you would if donating for a good cause like I do. Of course this only works if the surgery is planned and not an emergency.

Well Ozzy I think some Christan's are morons too. Blind faith is stupid in my opinion. Some beliefs are idiotic to say the least.

No arguments there.

Smart people believe some stupid things sometimes. That doesn't make the stupid or morons.
Like I said I walked away from my last job with some really good friends, some of those are witnesses. Some of them were really bright people. I don't believe that you should judge a person on their religious beliefs. When you are trained to believe something from the time you were born it will probably makes sense to you no matter how crazy it sounds to other people.
Think about it, religion has actually convinced people that there's an INVISIBLE MAN...LIVING IN THE SKY...who watches every thing you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten special things that he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish where he will send to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry for ever and ever 'til the end of time...but he loves you. Thanks George.

Any religion or belief can be made to look moronic.

We need to look the definition of belief up in the dictionary.

Belief \Be*lief"\, n. [OE. bileafe, bileve; cf. AS. gele['a]fa. See Believe.]

1. Assent to a proposition or affirmation, or the acceptance of a fact, opinion, or assertion as real or true, without immediate personal knowledge; reliance upon word or testimony; partial or full assurance without positive knowledge or absolute certainty; persuasion; conviction; confidence; as, belief of a witness; the belief of our senses.
I think we need to come to an understanding in this country.
We need to understand that our beliefs are only what we believe to be true with out any evidence or facts to back it up. All religions are based on beliefs. Beliefs are nothing but opinions. And I respect Jehovah's beliefs as mush as I do yours.

We need to stop judging people by beliefs they have and judge them by value of the person that they are.

I already said this, but I'll say it again. Jehovah's witnesses from my experience seem to be very honest and non hypocritical people. They really live and stick to what they believe. Unlike a lot of the Sunday morning Christians. The sin all week, but are perfect Christians on Sunday morning.

I don't agree with a lot of your beliefs, but I don't dislike or think any less of you because of them.

Is it true that you're not allowed to disobey your parents no matter what? I saw it on vh1 about Michael Jackson or something like that that if your parents say not to tell that they like molested or beat you or something, you CAN"T tell or else you'll go to h ell according to their religion.

I'm sure that's not true.. just what I saw on tv. Just asking.

I say if someone is too proud to accept blood, let them die.
I say if someone is too proud to accept blood donations, let them always be in want and let the death that the shortages bring rest on their hands.

That's an entirely different issue, however.

That Would Be HORRIBLE! Thank Goodness That I'm Not a Witnesses

Well I'm sure it's not true, but I figured i'd ask anyway.

I told a couple of JW's that I have a shotgun out back they should read the bible to.....needless to say they promptly left. Don't impose yor religion on me you foolish people, keep off my property!

The mailman comes on Sunday?

Answer the door naked. They usually don't come back after that. :jester:

totally took the words right out of my mouth.

i think it's disrespectful to knock on people's doors and trying to force your opinion on them. it's annoying and a no-no :nono: . i'd feel the same way about any religious faith imposing their veiws on another- whether JW, Catholic, Christian, Satanist. just plain arrogant and disrespectful, imo.

jlap, i bet they had an attitude that they were right and that god (or they) were judging you. ugh!

Nah, I just let them say their thing and then I said "well thanks for your time!" I kind of tried to weasel my way out of it lol. I WANTED to have a debate (or rather argument lol) but I decided to be nice and let them feel like they've acomplished something.

Well You have a point Ozzy. Maybe I should have said I think it is Moronic instead of calling them morons outright.

First time I read it I thought you called them Mormons.

I wanted to tell them I was a gay satanist heroin addict (i'm not btw) but I decided that would be too rude lmao.
Lol, what do I do if they come back later? I don't want to be rude.
LOL! That really reminded me of that one Simpsons episode titled “Thank God it’s Doomsday.” The one where Homer thinks the rapture is coming.

Ned: “Havin' a pre-Rapture party?”
Homer: “No, Flanders. This is a meeting of...gay witches...uh, for abortion. You wouldn't be interested.”
:-))

Blind judgment is also ignorant. Believing that life is accidental and random is also blind and does no better to explain anything even with today's great scientific knowledge.

Also about JW beliefs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses#Beliefs_and_practices

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses#Controversy

They are nothing like Christians.

I didn't read all that. And from what I was told by the Jw's, they do have similar beliefs as other Christians. They are Christians. Just as baptist, Mormons, catholics and methodists are all Christians.

I don't know what type of Christian you are but JW's believe in the trinity, God, Jesus and the holy spirit. Same as most other Christians.
here are quotes from the site you provided.

God is the creator and supreme being,

Jesus is literally the only begotten Son of God

He is the means through whom to approach God in prayer, and is also the means of salvation

Their view of sexual behavior reflects conservative Christian views.

Aid work after large natural disasters is considered an important part of their work. Large sums of donated money are used in the affected areas to rebuild communities and provide aid. The focus of relief efforts is primarily on helping fellow members, while providing assistance to others in need near the area in which they are working. Examples of relief work include that provided to Hutu and Tutsi victims during the Rwandan genocide, as well as to Congo refugees.[76] Witnesses have also had an active share in the relief work of hurricane Katrina in the United States of America.

I think you will argee with all of that.

I dont think he means it like that. I took it to be that there are more similarity between these religions than most, that they are more related to eachother than with other religions. Not that they are the same, just pointing out similarities. I dont know religion myself so i would not know, but thats where i think he is coming from

In my opinion a Christian is a person that follows the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Here's a website that defines what a Christian is.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_defn3.htm

Each group has their own definition of "Christian" which agrees with their own beliefs about the nature of Jesus, God, church tradition, written text, evolved theology, etc. There appears to be no way to compromise on a single definition that is acceptable to all.

Christian any individual or group who devoutly, thoughtfully, seriously, and prayerfully regards themselves to be Christian. Included are: the Roman Catholic church; the Eastern Orthodox churches, conservative, mainline, and liberal Christian faith groups; The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons); Jehovah's Witnesses and a thousand or so other religious organizations that identify themselves as Christian.

So it is in how you define it? I see that! So they are the same in that respect? I never knew that

I think he's saying they aren't Christians because they distort the word of Christ so thoroughly that they don't deserve the title. Anyone can call himself a Christian, but the label means nothing unless the person's beliefs meet certain criteria.

The disagreement is in the criteria.

I was watching TBN the other day because it had some show about Christian celebrities, and there was some D-lister on there and then she said she used to be a JW, and EVERYONE, including her laughed their asses off! The host had a look like "OMG THAT"S INSANE!"
I thought that was REALLY un-christian.

Anyways, I've always considered JW and Mormons to be christians. I mean.. If utah is the promised land then that's cool... When you have low standards it's easy to reach your goal! J/K!

I've always wondered why religious christians have a problem with polygamy. I mean, didn't LOADS of great bible figures have multiple wives? Personally I don't have a problem with polygamy (Only if a woman can have multiply husbands if a man can have multiple wives). Naturally i'm all for gay polygamy :) None of that forced marriage doomsday cult crap like over in kansas city, thank you.

Even if they were/are a cult, so what? They aren't hurting anyone. They are just annoying. They don't make you be JW's, they don't take all your money, they don't keep you from your family.

Listen up children. Here is a story. Clint and the white supremacist cult.

In a darker part of my life, I thought I was a drug addict. I was told my NA that I was. So my parents took me to an out-patient rehab program called Insight, created by the Guru Bob Meehan.

What we found there was people who were so happy I thought it was very abnormal, especially for a rehab facility. When I say happy I mean like they brainwashed that way. All the kids (about 20) hung out in a big room and did nothing but play ping-pong and games, smoke, and drink coffee. Even the counselors smoked and cussed like sailers with us. They gave us cigarettes! That's it, aside from a 15 minute group session. This lastes a 2-3 of hours. You went to this program twice a day, in the afternoon and at night for a longer group session and they had family night. By family night I mean the parents were seperated from the kid. The first "family" night my parents went to, they never met the parents. They were imediately spirited away to be interviewed by a "counselor". The other parents told my mom that it was odd because most new parents have a "deer in the headlights" look, and she didn't. My mom said everything seemed orchestrated.

I was asked several times If I was jewish.. And I said no but I thought that was weird. They had that matsuhayu whatever his name is rabbi playing and the counselor said 'A rabbi singing reggae! Isn't that WEIRD?!" I also thought it was weird that we were in the city in an upper class part but there were no black people.. hmmm OK. The counselors interviewed me and I noticed 2 of them had the same story about their childhood and what happened. My parents bought Bob meehan's book, and low and behold! the same story was there! Like they were trained that way... They wouldn't take our money and provide treatment like a normal place. There was a 3 day interviewing process. I guess to see if we were white and rich enough.

Oh, and NONE of the kids were allowed to take any drugs like prozac, ritalin, synthroid, ANYTHING. Some of the kids said they didn't even live with their parents anymore, that they lived with other insight kids. One of the parent's told my mom to just "Turn me loose. You might go weeks at a time without seeing him!" None of these kids went to school, but some were working on their GED. Several offered me rides to their houses, even though they just met me. I said i'd have to ask my rents and they said "Don't worry about it!"

They mentioned how they all loved hockey and they were going to an insight-sponsored hockey game (All the kids had to pay for themselves). Bob Meehan, turns out, is a giant hockey fan.

One parent told my dad not to believe what they read on the internet. Hello! Red flag! We looked it up and we found out. Kids wouldn't stop calling and asking for me for a week.

This website exposes him as a cult leader. It even has an expose from 60 minutes on it. It also has video's of him admitting to rape and preaching rascism to kids. The cult almost tricked me. It looked totally legit (they even had fake liscenses and degrees on the wall!). This guy said the worst things immaginable about gays, blacks, and jews. the last link is good. The first one is dedicated to stopping him by spreading the truth.

http://www.ontheemmis.com

Even Urbandictionary has it!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bob+meehan

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/gbase/currents/Content?oid=oid:68496

Lol, btw, when I met Clint Stonebraker who ran insight (another name for Pathway, just a different state) I thought he was gay lmao!

I guess I have to chime in and defend Jehovah's Witnesses and their doorbell ringing ways.

When my grandfather was well into his 80s and not getting around much anymore, some Witnesses stopped in a couple times per week with their Watchtowers and whatever their other pamphlet is called. They'd ask how he was doing and talk about what he wanted to talk about and put their religious spin on some of it and quite often he'd get angry with them. But they stayed cool and woulld leave after a while and tell him they'd see him in a few days. At a time when my grandfather didn't have many visitors, they made the time for him, even though it was obvious he wasn't about to become one.

So I always take the time to talk with Jehovah's Witnesses and, when I get a chance, I tell them why. I talk to any Mormons who show up to, but that's mostly because I've known a few feel like they deserve a friendly chat now and then instead of just getting one door slammed in their face after another.

As for whether they're Christians or not; Mormons and Witnesses are at least as Christian as the money-grubbing, anti-scientific warmongers who act as if they own a copyright on the the word.

Back