Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, as long as you get them soon after the shipment comes in and they are healthy. They will all be from TC, and you can skip dormancy this year. Not all lowes plants (D. adelae etc) require a dormancy.

They probably died from a humidity shock/change in light. They would have come back from the roots/rhizomes probably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Sure, as long as you get them soon after the shipment comes in and they are healthy. They will all be from TC, and you can skip dormancy this year. Not all lowes plants (D. adelae etc) require a dormancy.

They probably died from a humidity shock/change in light. They would have come back from the roots/rhizomes probably.
    I ended up digging them up and the rhizome was black and squishy. And are you saying that they would of came back from the roots even with the rhizome like that how it was?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's rotten. If there is anything healthy, cut it off, treat with fungicide and hope for the best. Or just buy a new one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants I was taking about that happen last summer so too late for that. And if you dont mind could you go to my thread in the pitcherplant section again? TY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to plant suggestions. My favorite kind of pitcher plants are purple pitcher plants. I really like them when they get huge and tall. I think I saw a pic of a hybrid that like like a foot or 2 tall. For sundews I also like them when they can get big and colorful. Like the fork leaf sundews.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to consider Drosera capensis, either in the giant form or red form. And also Drosera filiformis var. filiformis "Florida" or "Florida Red" which is native to northern Florida.

The D. capensis does not require dormancy and should be easy to grow. D. capensis is notorious for being overly prolific and many people consider it a weed.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you said "purple pitcher plant" I thought you meant S. purpurea. They are decumbent and do not grow tall, and this is a perfect time to learn some taxonomy. You've mentioned yellow trumpet, and to me that means S. flava, but may in fact be something entirely different. When you said "forked leaved sundews" , that could mean any of the D. binata complex of plants. "Wooley sundew" could be any of the petiolaris complex.

I don't mean to be anal or anything, and please don't think i'm coming down on you or are mad or anything because i'm not, but it's easier for everyone involved if you can use the proper names.

Back when I was a newb this site helped me out a lot. This link is to the Taxonomy page

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5000.html

And if you want some books, Growing Carnivorous Plants by Barry A. Rice (The creator of the faq) and The Savage Garden by Peter D'amato are fabulous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    When you said "purple pitcher plant" I thought you meant S. purpurea. They are decumbent and do not grow tall, and this is a perfect time to learn some taxonomy. You've mentioned yellow trumpet, and to me that means S. flava, but may in fact be something entirely different. When you said "forked leaved sundews" , that could mean any of the D. binata complex of plants. "Wooley sundew" could be any of the petiolaris complex.

I don't mean to be anal or anything, and please don't think i'm coming down on you or are mad or anything because i'm not, but it's easier for everyone involved if you can use the proper names.

Back when I was a newb this site helped me out a lot. This link is to the Taxonomy page

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5000.html

And if you want some books, Growing Carnivorous Plants by Barry A. Rice (The creator of the faq) and The Savage Garden by Peter D'amato are fabulous.
    I have The Savage Garden and I would like to get Rice's book. Sorry for not using the names I remeber a few of them but I was just getting lazy. I useto know alot about CPs but I forgot what alot of what I learned so I have decided to just start all over. I will be rereading The Savage Garden. Yes I was talking about S.purpera. And in The Savage Garden it has a tall one but it is a hyrbrid. If you have the Savage Garden the page number is page 47 at the far bottom right. I think it saids it is S (purperea x flava) x flava. It may mostly look more like S flava but I like S purperea for their "wideness"(bigness), color, and shape. And by fork leafed I do mean the binata.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast