Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner

Just wandering what plant would yall reccommend to a beginner? (Who lives in the panhandle of Florida...)

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of the SA Drosera except for D. regia.

Any temperate genera/species if you're willing to give it dormancy. (Sarracenia, Dionaea, Drosera, Pinguicula, really any but Darlingtonia unless you can keep the roots cool)

Nepenthes like N. ventricosa, N. alata, N. 'ventrata'. Those are good confidence-builders.

Any terrestrial Utricularia

Most mexican Pinguicula except for a few like P. gypsicola, P. heterophylla (sp?), etc (really only very few aren't suited to a beginner)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like sundews and want something impressive to show ppl..........look for the Drosera binata complex.............they grow like weeds and some get big enough to make yah worry bout the safety of the family pet
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd start with the Sarracenia pitcher plants native to your area. They'd be the easiest of the spectacular carnivorous plants. Droseras can be impressive, but a 30" tall pitcher stands out from the pack.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're in a great location!

Any sarracenia as well as dionaea (venus flytrap) will live outside all year round in perfect conditions. Drosera filiformis is also native to your area, and drosera capensis is probably the easiest of all the carnivorous plants.

Keep them in a sphagnum peat and sharp sand mix and water them with rainwater.

Have you ever visited Apalachicola? A lot of native carnivorous plants to see there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya of course I was talking about me though I am not exactly new to CPs. Just forgot alot of things about CPs and am basically starting all over. Apalichicola? The name seems familiar but I dont think I have been there. Though I have seen ALOT of sundews and pitcherplants living in a river I went swimming in. The Sundews were actually living on the water! They were floating on some moss or whatever and were doing just fine. Though a person who looked over the area (forgot what they are called) has said that people has come down there and illegaly stole plants.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh this convo takes me back

Nothing better than going down sideroads to the middle of nowhere and finding CP's Unfortunately i've never been to any of the famous sites, other than one of the 4 S. oreophila habitats.

Only thing that's not fun about that is getting stuck in the mud! Alas, that's part of the experience!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do yall think it would be OK to buy CPs at lows? The main thing I worry is that it is time for dormancy and that they will die after like a week. Wait I am not even sure they sell them at lowes this time of year... Well doesnt matter whatever time I buy them this question goes for anytime of year:should I remove the plant and put it in a new pot? I have bought plants and repotted them following instructions from here and they end up dieing where they did just fine in the cube thingys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast