Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crystal Growing Kits....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Crystal Growing Kits....

Okay.. so I'm sure many of you have heard of those so called crystal growing kits... and I am thinking of getting one, the problem is, in the past I have gone through many of them and have not produced a SINGLE CRYSTAL which royally ticks me off but I was young then and suspect that I may have been doing something wrong. So this leads me to my next question... do they really work? If anyone has had one that has actually worked, let me know cuz I will get one if they DO actually work... since I like rocks and stuff. :3
    Last edited by ChronoKiento; 01-15-2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: I need to start proofreading...
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only tried them a couple times and it seems to me that all I ever got were granular lumps. Maybe try a Chia Pet instead; they always work.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got awesome realistic crystals when I had the kit as a kid. Half-dollar sized "diamonds" and such.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only crystals I've ever grown were sugar crystals ("rock candy") and some stuff from my childhood chemistry set.

I think the trick is keeping everything as clean and pure as possible: clean thoroughly and rinse with and use distilled water. And make sure the solution temps are hot enough to get super-saturation of the dissolved solids.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay.. so... clean.. and hot.. got it!

I think I need some more opinions though.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a science fair project on crystals once. I used alum (available at a pharmacy..people use it for pickling) and tested whether distilled versus tap water, and growing at room temperature versus refrigerator, made any difference in crystal formation quality/quantity. I think the results were all similar, but the room temperature/tap water (surprisingly to me) had slightly larger and better crystals than the others.

like notanumber said, you have to supersaturate the water. I used baby food jars full of water, and sat them in a saucepan which was also filled with water, and boiled them. once the water's boiling, add your solid (alum, salt, sugar, etc) a little at a time. stir it a little...carefully, don't burn yourself. keep adding it until the water won't dissolve any more solid - the point of supersaturation. Take them off the stove. crystal formation occurs when the water evaporates and the impurities - i.e. the solid you added - are left behind. so you should start seeing crystals right away as steam continues to come off the water. let them sit for a few days and as the water evaporates, the crystals will get bigger.
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm makes me wonder if directions like that come with the kit? I remember boiling stuff but that's it, thanks for the info!

Turns out the site I was gonna order the growing kits is sold out of aquamarine (it's my birthstone!) so I may not order right now. >_>
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can pick up the kits at Michaels or prolly walmart.

After I tore down my aquarium I had lots of chemicals left over so last night I felt like a little chemist Mixed potassium nitrate, magnesium sulfate, sodium biphosphate, ferrous iron, (naturally the phosphate made the iron precipitate) and a cocktail of trace elements. Boiled, baked, and got great big pointy crystals Gonna crush 'em up into power and use as my own fertilizer. I should do an experiment to see if it's better than commerical ferts since it has lots of traces in it.

Uhh.. on second thought don't do what I did Potassium nitrate is explosive Probably wouldn't wanna bake it lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast