User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watering without moving the pot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watering without moving the pot?

I want to set up a windowsill garden again, but the reason I lost intrest last time was the watering process. I had to take very pot from the windowsill to the sink, water it, let it drain, and bring it back to the widowsill again. It's not a really efficient way of caring for a larger collection.

Is their any way I could water the plants while keeping them on the windowsill? I thought of having the pots on a tray of gravel, but that would only work for humidity lovers, not desert plants. Any additional ideas?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A watering can make life easier. Get one with an oil-can/teapot spout rather than a shower-head.

Your pots should be in a tray of some sort, either individual or a group tray.

A spray bottle comes in handy on those extra dry days so you can mist the plants.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    A watering can make life easier. Get one with an oil-can/teapot spout rather than a shower-head.

Your pots should be in a tray of some sort, either individual or a group tray.

A spray bottle comes in handy on those extra dry days so you can mist the plants.

I had all that stuff. But I still had to bring each pot to the sink and back, or else the tray would fill up and the pot would sit in water. We can't have that, could we?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried different things and finally settled on just carrying plants to the sink. Other than for the hanging plants, I carry them in a 12" x 18" plastic pan to cut cut down on the number of trips.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrel View Post
    I had all that stuff. But I still had to bring each pot to the sink and back, or else the tray would fill up and the pot would sit in water. We can't have that, could we?
    Actually that is desirable with most CP species. You can just add water to the tray and only top water once in a while. Some species like Darlingtonia californica you should top water all the time, in which case a separate tray would probably be best.

What are you growing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually that is desirable with most CP species. You can just add water to the tray and only top water once in a while. Some species like Darlingtonia californica you should top water all the time, in which case a separate tray would probably be best.

What are you growing?
    I plan on starting with cacti and succulents, and then moving on to bromeliads, orchids, and other oddballs. I don't expect many CPs in my future.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, okay, maybe you can get a big tray with a drain tap on it as used in photo processing. You can run a tube down to a big jug and just dump the jug out (or water your outdoor plants with it) when you're done. You could probably modify a greenhouse tray to put a spout on it easily enough if so inclined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, okay, maybe you can get a big tray with a drain tap on it as used in photo processing. You can run a tube down to a big jug and just dump the jug out (or water your outdoor plants with it) when you're done. You could probably modify a greenhouse tray to put a spout on it easily enough if so inclined.
    Those photo deveoping trays seem expensive, but I can modify an old TV tray I used to keep orchids on. Thanks for the idea!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast