What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help, my R/O unit isn't working

I purchased a r/o unit 9 monthes ago and it has worked great until recently.
The water flow from the faucet has been reduced to a slow drip.
does anyone know if cold water would cause it to do this, or is it the r/o filter?
if anyone know what would fix this please post.
the r/o unit is a 5 stage 100 gpd unit.
I thought the r/o filter would last longer as my tap water is 48 ppm.
please help, my plants need water!
thanks in advance. :D
peace,
Zero

This may be caused by low water pressure, crimps in the tubing, clogged pre-filters, or a fouled membrane.

If the water pressure is below 40psi, a booster pump may be necessary. But if it's the same as before.. this shouldn't be the case.

It could be the filters... But if it is normal tap water, and your TDS is that low, I doubt it. Unless, the membrane is of low quality and has just failed for that reason.

In the brine water line (junk water) there is a restrictor of some kind. If you remove that... Does water come out fast and strong? If so, leave that open for 5-10 mins to flush membrane. Then put the restrictor back in. See if that helps.

Good luck.
Andrew

EDIT: YES low water temps can slow production.. but I don't know by how much.

Last edited:
Permeate pumps nly work with a tank bladder system, and their purpose is to basically make an RO more efficent by re-filtering the waste water. PSI has nothing to do with it.

Well, I'd have to say nepg is half right... I would say they only help if you have a bladder tank... But what they do, is use the premate water (waste water) to help pump more pressure into your storage tank so you have more water in storage. I have one in my home system.
But in the g/h I use a pressure pump that runs on electricity and ups the incoming water pressure so the outgoing water pressure is MUCH better. My tanks now store about 60PSI. More pressure =s faster flow and more storage in the tanks. But I think that would only help you if you have low pressure. and yes, that's even if you don't have a bladder tank.

This is the pump 8800 pump and yes, I bought it from this guy. I added on the pressure switch... And that's what turns my pump on and off with the demand.
Andrew

Edit: also note, I had ordered a multi speed demand pump from this guy which failed a few days ago. He brags about if you buy from him you get good warranty service, I can let you know how that works out if you'd like before you buy from him. So far, I've had zero reply.

Back