Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do with my life?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to do with my life?

I just need to ramble. Finality is settling and it is a weird looking beast.

So... After 5 year my boss has decided that I have pretty much met the requirements for my PhD. He informed me that he wants me to defend by no later than May.

Which begs the question "What next?"

My answer: I have no clue.

I honestly have no idea what I want to do or where I want to go. Quite the cunundrum. What exactly does one do with a PhD in bacterial genetics? I have to say, the picture of a fire tower in Idaho has appeal... For no reason other than I have not the slightest idea what else to do with my life.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a nice post doc at some University or Institute. You can milk those for another 5-10 years if you play your politics right.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CDC! That's what I'd try to do first. Or the government. I dunno how government pay is, though.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A research position at a bio tech/engineering firm is another possibility.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NYC has gotta lotta BioTech companies, it's the fastest growing buisiness here I've heard.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people I know with PHD's in science end up doing research. What was your dissertation about? Could you send it out to some bio corps and see if they might be interested in what you have been studying or researching? Although, you might be tired of your current topic of study, but it might get you a foot in the door and you could expand from there.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    I dunno how government pay is, though.
    I'm guessing pretty lousy compared to the private sector, but probably enough to live a comfortable life.

xvart.

edit: or you could write bio thriller novels and become a bestseller. One of these days I would like to write a science fiction book but that will have to wait until... I don't know... I'm retired?
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to pull down some grant funds to develop some commercial applications for CP enzymes, like Nepenthes cheese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NaN,

Most post-doc only last 5 years. Beyond that and it starts to look like you are unproductive. Plus part of the reason for a post-doc is to build up a good publishing record. I actually took off a few years before going for my degree and I have 6 papers from that time (and I'll have 2 more when I finish). So basically my paper trail is in good order and I can probably skip a post-doc. Also, post-docs tend to be for those on the tenure track and I don;t want to be a prof.

Clint,

THought about CDC and am still thinking about it. My one issue there is that the current administration has appointed a head who is more about pulling the party line and less about research. I don;t know if I could deal with that kind of environment. And FYI, CDC is government

Quogue,

Not too fond of the idea of NYC, or anywhere north of DC for that matter. Being in the south has spoiled me both in terms of climate and the social nature of people.

Xvart,

Research is a pretty big field and there in lays the problem. Researching what? I have been working on the regulation of a stress killing factor in B. subtilis. No real market value in it and no cross over as it is unique to the species. Theoretically I could go after any bacteria that is being worked on but... Which one?

Throck,

I have a feeling the number of labs doing pure research on CPs is pretty slim and I doubt I could be a self funded self maintained lab all on my own.

Man I feel like a pessimist
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast